Extraordinary Meeting 13th October

Started by admin, September 29, 2014, 05: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

A meeting has been called to debate the position of the Ceremonial Mayor to take place on 13th October. Apparently, Stephen Akers-Belcher has agreed to it.

Official Notice:

Please note that the Mayor has agreed to hold an extraordinary meeting of the Council on Monday 13th October at 7pm. 

The motion that is to be considered on that evening, following a requisition received from five members of the Council is:

"That this council believes the dismissal for 'gross misconduct' of the Mayor by Newcastle Council, in conjunction with his stated aim of legal action against that council, has undermined confidence in him as the first citizen of the town and that this on-going and very public situation is causing significant reputational damage to the council as well and undermining our relationship with a key strategic, regional partner.

Council therefore resolves that:
•   The Mayor is advised to take a leave of absence from all civic duties, until such time as his legal dispute with Newcastle City Council is resolved.
•   In the interim the Deputy should assume all civic responsibilities of the Mayoral office.
•   Should his dismissal for 'gross misconduct' be overturned the Mayor should be return to his role immediately with council's full support.
•   If the dismissal is upheld then Council resolves to hold a vote of no-confidence in the Mayor.

An appropriate agenda will follow in due course.

mk1

Quote from: admin on September 29, 2014, 05: PM
A meeting has been called to debate the position of the Ceremonial Mayor to take place on 13th October. Apparently, Stephen Akers-Belcher has agreed to it.

Only because it was made clear that no UKIP representive be allowed to speak!

fred c

If ever there were a time to have a "Full Council Chamber" Monday 13th of October is it.

"Posters from this site & the Mails comments section, along with members of the general public have a real opportunity to see at first hand just how shambolic the "TorLab Mob" are.

PostItNote

Why are the Councillors not considering a vote of no confidence in general?

If they believe they are there to represent the views of the residents, the time has come for that?

Devils advocate

I for one will be there. I just hope a lot of other posters who are unhappy with this will also attend.

As the saying goes "the more the merrier"

There are a lot of keyboard warriors here and on the mails website, maybe now is the time for them to actually go outside and make their way to this meeting.

Land Phil

Will there be any UKIP members in the audience ?

If I had a purple jacket, ?I would wear in for a laugh.

Land Phil

Kipperdip, will you be bringing lots of UKIP friends to cheer and boo too ?

Land Phil

Will any of our town councillors on this forum be calling for the meeting to be moved to a bigger venue asap ?

Thanks.

seaton

Quote from: Land Phil on October 08, 2014, 10: PM
Will any of our town councillors on this forum be calling for the meeting to be moved to a bigger venue asap ?

Thanks.

Can't see it, the Mob won't want the public to see what they get up to, hopefully it will be recorded ?

fred c

I have emailed the HBC CEO & Borough Solicitor to request a move to a larger venue, given the likelihood of an increase in the normal attendance it would be prudent of them to look into it.

The Great Dictator

No doubt in his final speech he will play the gay card.

fred c

I have it on good authority......the meeting venue.......will not be changed, the powers that be cannot envisage more than 90 people wanting to attend for the debate.

seaton

Maybe I need to go Specsavers but I can't any content about the Meeting on the online version of the Mail, hey they have only just returned, have they been on the phone to Joy already ?

DRiddle

Fred, as much as I hope I'm proved wrong, I actually think the usual venue of the council chamber will be sufficient.

Granted there seems to be a lot of disgruntled people expressing their views over social media, but actually taking the time to get down there a show their frustration in person is a different thing altogether.

The only time I've seen it busy (which didn't involve a planning issue) in recent years was the 'faith bus' situation when parents and staff from English Martyrs packed it out.

Although as I say, I hope I'm wrong.

Personally I still think we might see a sensible decision from Stephen Akers-Belcher prior to Monday.

It's well known within HBC that ITV, the BBC, The Chronicle, The Mail, and other regionals will be there.

I've even heard a whisper that someone from Private Eye maybe on the Grand Central heading North on Monday.

If this meeting actually goes ahead it'll be a car crash for the Labour Party.

If the cameras record a 'debate' with Allan Barclay, Marjorie James, Ged Hall et al on one side, taking on Brash, Thompson, myself and others on the other, it'll shine a very bright light on the level of political acumen currently responsible for running our town.

I actually hope it does go ahead. This meeting if publicised correctly could be the catalyst needed to wake up the silent majority in time for May.

I still think they might bottle it and he'll go voluntarily over the next few days. That would be by far the best thing to save what's left of our council's reputation.

It'll actually be the best thing for the reputation of the Labour Party in Hartlepool.