Leader and the developers

Started by Mican, May 28, 2014, 08: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mican

With regards to the news that the leader of the council had a meeting with the developers, is this legal, ethical, if not, has it/can it be brought up with the relevant people and have it investigated?  Perhaps a job for one of our new councillors.

steveL

You would think so, wouldn't you, but this is Hartlepool Borough Council that we're talking about.

The matter was raised by Cllrs Paul Thompson and Jonathan Brash with Chief Solicitor, Peter Devlin on March 7th. In addition, I myself sent an e-mail to Peter Devlin expressing concern about what I was hearing, particularly that a Senior Officer had told both councillors separately about the commitment made by Christopher Akers-Belcher that he would make sure the Wynyard planning application went through.

A month later, in an article about the matter in the Mail on April 9th, Dave Stubbs was quoted as saying no complaints had been made.

It's worth remembering that Dave Stubbs, Denise Ogden, Damien Wilson and Christopher Akers-Belcher were all present at the meeting with the developers.

The killer part of this in the overheard and giveaway conversation between Stubbs and a Senior Officer when he accused the Senior Officer of being the 'whistle-blower' after the story first appeared on this web site. If no commitment had been made then there was nothing to blow the whistle about. Stubbs had inadvertently confirmed that a commitment had been made. 

Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

The Great Dictator

Its normal to meet with potential investors, i did it several times.

steveL

It's not 'normal' to give a commitment to make sure a planning application would go through well ahead of any application been heard by the planning committee - especially when you know any application would go against the existing local plan.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Mican

Quote from: The Great Dictator on May 28, 2014, 11: AM

Although I do not know the workings of how council business proceeds and accept that there are things that at first sight seem dubious but can be easily explained, what I would like to know, are these meetings authorised, if so, who by and are they on record, are the results of these meetings discussed in open council?  If not, why not?  Given the amount of money the local plan cost and then to have it thrown out and the subsequent stories makes one's mind start turning over.

Mican

Quote from: The Great Dictator on May 28, 2014, 11: AM

One more little point:  Why substitute the word investor for developer?

marky

So now we know how things work. Everyone in Hartlepool should read this.

http://www.hartlepoolpost.co.uk/wynyard%20deal.htm

pensionater

I would have thought that the final say would be down to the planning committee regardless of what commitment CAB gave.Unless some kind of pressure was put on those on the committee.(or they new the local plan was to be scrapped).

not4me

That's the way it should work but here? Remember the Labour Group does as the whip tells them too

Mican

Quote from: marky on May 28, 2014, 02: PM
So now we know how things work. Everyone in Hartlepool should read this.

http://www.hartlepoolpost.co.uk/wynyard%20deal.htm

Thanks Marky, first time I have seen this, have to say it sounds scary, has anyone been on to the council legal eagle about this, if so what was the reply?

mk1

Quote from: Mican on May 28, 2014, 08: PM

has anyone been on to the council legal eagle about this, if so what was the reply?

He is too busy working out a way for 'handsome' Stephen and Beck to avoid facing up to their liabilities to worry about small things like corruption.