Remembrance Service on the Headland

Started by Sanddancer, November 10, 2013, 12: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanddancer

A very moving and appropriate service but as usual the pa system was not adequate. Good to see it so well attended.

grim reaper

I was there today (marching) and stood on the 'parade ground' for the service.
If anything, the speakers were too loud!
Maybe they need to adjust the direction of the speakers, so more of the sound is amplified towards the crowds.
A massive turn out from the people of Hartlepool...well done to them, on such a bitterly cold day, to stand about for up to an hour.

tankerville

I attended this service and could hardly hear a word from the sound system, mind you the helicopter flying around overhead made it very difficult to hear anything at all.

The drums and bugles sounded just Brilliant. Well Done to all concerned.

The Great Dictator

Same bloody helicopter at the civic, very annoying..

Sanddancer

Have just seen The Mail's online photographs of the town centre parade. He did look handsome in his regalia, didn't he?

The Great Dictator

DRiddle

I have a question. Prior to the 'Drummond era' we had ceremonial mayors. I lived out of town for over a decade but I remember one or two as a kid (Gladys Worthy etc.)

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/local/worthy-honour-is-a-real-close-call-1-3476589

But.... I don't think I ever remember seeing the Mayor decked out in the whole regalia. When they visited schools and things they often wore the chains, but I rarely, if ever, saw the whole 'Trumpton thing'.

Does anyone have any pictures of other Mayors in the full rig out?

mk1

Quote from: DRiddle on November 11, 2013, 08: PM

But.... I don't think I ever remember seeing the Mayor decked out in the whole regalia. When they visited schools and things they often wore the chains, but I rarely, if ever, saw the whole 'Trumpton thing'.

Does anyone have any pictures of other Mayors in the full rig out?

When the current clown started preening himself I tried very hard to find a photo of a previous Mayor in the same robes. 
None could I find.

Inspector Knacker

Funny that, walking down Silver Street in Stockton and in a shop wondow was a collection of Trumpton figures.... when I saw the mayor figure I had to laugh.
Will the present outfit continue to be worn for much longer, as it must be suffering from the mayoral robes equivalent of metal fatigue from constant use, to a level far in excess of what it was ever designed for....?
When the day finally comes that the traditional robes do give up the ghost, will there be a tender put out to supply a comtemporary set of mayoral  robes complemented by sundry accessories based on the outfits worn by the Aztec Sun Gods with s gold theme ....?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

mk1

Given the way the litlle fella gets excited about the robes I do hope they have been forbidden from taking them home overnight.

Think of the dry cleaning bill for the stains..................

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: mk1 on November 12, 2013, 08: AM
Given the way the litlle fella gets excited about the robes I do hope they have been forbidden from taking them home overnight.

Think of the dry cleaning bill for the stains..................
Robes made from an easy clean tile surface might be a little ........ inflexible, ..... butshould have a comedy value to compensate.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

notenoughsaid

Re the H/Land Memorial Gardens......I've heard the council can't  afford to plant the usual array of spring bulbs this year and are in fact turning most of the beds over to grass with a shrub or two planted centrally.  In the past and during the times of plenty they lifted the bulbs and composted them instead of drying them for next season.   I'm not a natural gardener and dont know how long they last but it seems a shame we will no longer enjoy the fragrant and colourful display. Sometimes the simple things in life are the best.... dammed "cut backs".

DRiddle

In this age of austerity, it'd be interesting to know how much the whole rig out cost. This is the company that usually 'get the gig' for making this kind of thing. They don't look like they come cheap.

http://www.edeandravenscroft.co.uk/ceremonial-dress/municipal-robes/

Still, I suppose once he's done with them the council can re-cycle the material and make a red carpet for both the Oscars and the BAFTAS, enough replacement jackets for all the Chelsea pensioners who are still alive, a set of Manchester United shirts and enough tops to keep little red riding hood kitted out until her old age.... any spare material after they've done all that can be used to make a few China flags to fly above the civic...

stokoe

Quote from: notenoughsaid on November 12, 2013, 02: PM
Re the H/Land Memorial Gardens......I've heard the council can't  afford to plant the usual array of spring bulbs this year and are in fact turning most of the beds over to grass with a shrub or two planted centrally.  In the past and during the times of plenty they lifted the bulbs and composted them instead of drying them for next season.   I'm not a natural gardener and dont know how long they last but it seems a shame we will no longer enjoy the fragrant and colourful display. Sometimes the simple things in life are the best.... dammed "cut backs".

not surprised they can't afford spring bulbs etc etc,cos the money they are ploughing in to the cafe at the creme and garden centre must be costing a fortune,a new building for the gravediggers,showers and shithouses for the workers and rest rooms.lots of gus robinson workers and vans about.