'Concern'...

Started by perseus, October 01, 2012, 11: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

perseus

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/local/fears-over-back-street-money-lenders-1-4980154

I wonder which councillors are concerned about this? Could it be to preempt the furniture scheme/credit advice service/waste of 50 grand?

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Not sure what the difference is between these and WONGA.COM
I don't believe it.

steveL

Interesting sign of the times is this. I agree it's hard to see the difference and those TV ads must cost a fortune. You also have the rise of the Pawnbroker, the Items for Cash shops popping up everywhere and the Cash for Gold lot.

I have a lot of time for the Credit Union -  as long as Mad Marge is prevented from interfering with it.   
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

rabbit

Very hard to "credit" that 10,000 Hartlepool homes are vulnerable to illegal back-street lenders! (as reported in the "Mail")

Doom and Gloom or what?

steveL

More Jobs are what it's all about - everything else is just froth.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

marky

Labour aren't interested in bringing jobs to the town. If everyone had a job then they're less likely to vote for Labour - simples.

rabbit

what a superb advertisement for decades of Labour rule, don't you think?

It`s all very complicated this money stuff. Some people blame the Labour party for what has happened, as it started on their watch. Others blame the banks for what happened.

Others blame the present government because of the pressure they have put on the finances of the ordinary Joe.

It is obvious though that if there is an opportunity for some new ways to earn money, then there are always people who will use those opportunities.

Perhaps Panorama tonight will enlighten us.

marky

I blame it on the boogie ...... ;)

not4me

Here's a story....was in the post office in Raby Road the other day using the cash machine and in walks this woman. In no time at all she's moaning to the counter assistant about how she'd had her money stopped because they'd taken her off the sick.

" They've told me I have to see my own Doctor to get a normal sick note but it will be three weeks - THREE WEEKS - before I get any money. What do they expect me to live on?"she said . . . . . "Give me five No 8s"

No 8s, in this instance, were five No 8 scratch cards.

Hope she won, could save the rest of us a fortune. ;D
Not typical, I know but don't you just wish some people would f*c* off.

rabbit

I watched the Panorama last night. It reviewed the high street lenders and the door to door credit companies. The door to door lenders featured in particular, a well established national company, who were lending to some (I stress the word some) vulnerable people.

The so-called credit worthiness checks (on borrowers) by both the high street lenders and the door to door company did not feature strongly in the programme. It seemed all too easy for people to borrow money (at high interest rates) from these sources.

Thus I reckon that the Mail article should have been discussed this type of situation rather than the "back-street" operators or "loan sharks" which suggest to me another type of "lender".

testing times

Good point and possibly a damaging one if people are led to believe it's only the back-street sharks that are involved.