Car Mileage

Started by steveL, March 27, 2016, 06: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

Hartlepool Support Worker (Community Based)
Glow Recruitment Ltd - Hartlepool
£7 an hour
Support Worker:

Important Information: Must be a car driver with access to a car

Pathways to Independence provides high quality individually tailored support through our experienced and dedicated teams to enable children, young people and adults with disabilities and or mental health support needs to live the life they wish.

We provide independent supported living, outreach services, short break packages, social opportunities, education and employment support.We are currently recruiting Support Workers to work with clients in our Day Services and Independent Living Support Services.

Previous experience would be advantageous, however not essential as full training and support is provided.

The role is community based therefore a full driving licence and access to your own vehicle is required.What we offer

A salary of £6.70 to £7.00 per hour
Paid mileage costs at 27p per mile
Comprehensive training package with ongoing support and supervision
Job Type: Full-time

Salary: £7.00 /hour

Job Location:

Hartlepool

I'm posting this job advert just to show what life is like in the real world. The £7 per hour is not far above the minimum wage but it's the mileage allowance that caught my eye which is far more typical than the 52.5p per mile currently paid to council staff and the public sector generally. Hartlepool isn't the worst offender by any means but I know that there are some who regard the over-generous mileage allowance as 'a nice little earner' and a regular supplement to their salaries.

At a time when we are constantly being told how strapped for cash the council is, it's time that both the rate and total (almost £0.5m during 2014/15) paid out was seriously looked at - such as checking mileage claimed against the AA website and just how necessary journeys are that are being claimed.

I'd like to know also if any Execs are being given mileage for journeys to and from work.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

the_exile

Any amounts paid above 45p (for the first ten thousand business miles)is a taxable benefit on the individual and those amounts should be notified to the HMRC at the end of each tax year. Failure to notify HMRC is an offence by the individual............................. would be interesting to note which HBC employees/councillors make that declaration!!!!

Any mileage claims made below 45p for the first ten thousand business miles, as in this job advert then the individual can make a very simple claim (form P87) at the end of the tax year and claim tax relief (in the form of a rebate cheque) for the diffence between the amounts paid and the HMRC agreed mileage allowance of 45p.

Point 1 above is more of an interest as that is how they got Al Capone................. tax irregularities (obviously no individual or business closely linked to HBC would ever defraud the HMRC................... would they)

not4me

Interesting that Riddle's article only lasted 1 day on the Mail website before disappearing while other more 'on message' ones have been left still on show.