WTF is going on?

Started by Johnny Bongo, October 23, 2015, 10: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Bongo

Apologies for the title....but having received three letters from my children's school today, regarding different things, I just wonder and despair as to where Hartlepool and we, the citizens are headed. Let me explain (before I'm too pi**ed, due to the confusion and anger of it all!). 1st letter... 'An opportunity to try an instrument in a five weekly group lessons of 20 minutes'. ''Fair enough'' I thought...nice of the school and HBC to do these things.  Then I read the heading on the top right of the letter...Tees Valley Music Service ???...then further down the page...'cheque (for £40) ...made payable to Stockton Borough Council' ???.  So why doesn't HBC have this service?  Why is it contracted out (at an exorbitant price I'd say!) to another Council? 2nd letter regarding a pantomime at Middlesbrough Theatre.  Why?  Isn't there anything suitable at the Town Hall Theatre (I've not actually checked yet!) OR just take the kids to the Civic to meet Widow Twanky and Idle Jack (you decide who I might mean!).  Why not support this town as opposed to Middlesbrough?  3rd letter...Flu Immunisation consent form....from County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust ???...so whatever happened to Hartlepool and North Tees? Can't they provide the service?  Anyway, after the usual medical questions (which I refuse to give answers to), the bit at the bottom states...THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION MUST BE PROVIDED (oh, really!) ...which is either 1) 'YES I consent for my child to receive the flu immunisation' OR... 'NO I do not consent to my child receiving the flu immunisation.  Please give reason'.  Why should I have to give a reason?  If there was enough space on the form and I could be bothered, I'd say that the vaccine is unsafe, unnecessary and unethical, making the pharmaceutical companies feel better (and richer), not the end users!  Anyway, my Friday night moan is over, hope it's raised a few questions as to why HBC/ Hartlepool NHS Trust (ha, ha) prefers to spend money and/or use services from out of town instead of utilising our own people/ services? If anyone knows the answers to any of these points, please do tell!   

Land Phil

I can vouch that Tees Valley music is useless.
My child gave it a go, tutor always late and quite if ten didn't turn up.
Excuse was traffic or playing at an event that day.

Aldo fell out with Tees music when they restructured and didn't have the decency to say staff had been made redundant. It was all dressed up as good news.

We gave world class musician Mick Donnely in the town, so why not use his music school, or one of the others ?

mk1

Switch off predictive text!

Land Phil

Sorry it was late and I didn't notice.
My tablet was drunk, not me officer.

I'll take the exciting opportunity to add that the school appears to be on a mission to use the words exciting and opportunity in every sentence no matter what. It cheapens everything and makes me look for the change channel button every time they open their mouths or send a letter.

Latest amusement is the exciting opportunity (yes really) for the kids to go on an adventure to Morocco, only have to raise £2K each. Now for a school where the majority of the children come from a financially deprived area/family and are lucky to get a family break in the UK, £2K is winning the lottery type money (now that would be exciting) and in my opinion an unfair demand that only the few will be able to consider. Sad all round.

Tee_Ess_25er

Quote from: Land Phil on October 24, 2015, 09: AM
Latest amusement is the exciting opportunity (yes really) for the kids to go on an adventure to Morocco

Will the kids that actually go still be having lessons when they are away or is it to take place at half term considering these direct quotes from the DfE regarding the recent case of a father who had a fine overturned for taking his daughter out of school to go on holiday.

"It is a myth that missing school even for a short time is harmless to a child's education," a DfE spokesperson said. "Our evidence shows missing the equivalent of just one week a year from school can mean a child is significantly less likely to achieve good GCSE grades, having a lasting effect on their life chances."

craig finton

There's a monthly pantomime held in the Civic Centre every month and admission is free. Just one thing, any attept at audience participation is strictly frowned upon....  ::)

craig finton

Quote from: Land Phil on October 24, 2015, 09: AM
Latest amusement is the exciting opportunity (yes really) for the kids to go on an adventure to Morocco, only have to raise £2K each. Now for a school where the majority of the children come from a financially deprived area/family and are lucky to get a family break in the UK, £2K is winning the lottery type money (now that would be exciting) and in my opinion an unfair demand that only the few will be able to consider. Sad all round.

Since when did a holiday in Morocco cost £2k each? It's not that bloke from St Hilds organise this, is it?