Uncle Tom Cobblers

Started by steveL, May 27, 2015, 11: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

What on earth was UKIP's Tom Hind trying to achieve by spitting his dummy out over the Vice Chair position of the Licensing Committee?

There were two nominees for the position, Labour's Trish Lawton and said Cllr Hind. As is the norm, the unsuccessful candidate would take a place on the committee as an ordinary member but Hind had made it plain that if he wasn't given the Vice Chair he would not accept a position as an ordinary member.

Questioned on this last night, he explained that he worked full-time in the private sector and couldn't get the time off in order to attend meetings. Not surprisingly, several were puzzled why this was so when he apparently could get time off to be the committee's Vice Chair. Boxed into an illogical corner, he had no option but to withdraw as a candidate for the Vice Chair as well.

Strategy is everything . .  :o
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

mk1

Quote from: steveL on May 27, 2015, 11: AM

Questioned on this last night, he explained that he worked full-time in the private sector and couldn't get the time off in order to attend meetings. Not surprisingly, several were puzzled why this was so when he apparently could get time off to be the committee's Vice Chair. Boxed into an illogical corner, he had no option but to withdraw as a candidate for the Vice Chair as well.

I suspect lying two-faced Beanz was under strict orders from head office to gain the vice-chair come what may. As with any political party they are seeking positions of influence that can be pitched nationwide to show how 'succesful' they are in local government. Despite claims that UKIP is 'different' they are just more of the same. Perhaps now he might break his self-imposed silence and explain to us just exactly why he was willing to sell his soul to Labour for such a pathetic position?

fred c

Will we find out exactly what the "Threats" were & has anything been done with the recorded message ?

Foggy

I was trying to read SAB's body language last night when he was trying to get a straight answer from Tom about whether he was going to withdraw from the vice chair nomination.  SAB looked fairly sure of himself and Tom was very much on the back foot. It sparked my curiosity further regarding this alleged taped conversation.

Tom did back himself into a ridiculous corner but he did have a good point about working and being unable to attend meetings in the day time. Is there even a remote chance of this situation changing?  Probably not when it suits certain people down to the ground.

Don't even get me started on the voting system for deciding on committee members/chairs.  The whole thing is farcical.