Never Ending Circles

Started by steveL, October 20, 2014, 12: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

Hartlepool Council Press Release

"A HARTLEPOOL Council regeneration boss has returned home safely following a charity climbing expedition.

Upon his return Damien Wilson, Assistant Director (Regeneration), received a welcome £2,000 donation from Hartlepool based Probio Energy Limited.

The 51-year-old spent time climbing in the Alps in aid of the Mayor of Hartlepool's four nominated charities - the RNLI, Hartlepool Hospice, the Great North Air Ambulance and Miles For Men.

Severe weather conditions meant Damien was unable to tackle Mont Blanc, which is the highest mountain in Europe. However, the experienced climber was still able to scale a number of challenging peaks.

Damien, who has so far raised around £5,000, said: "I'm very grateful to everyone at Probio Energy for their generous contribution and I know that every penny raised by my climbs will be appreciated by the four charities.

"The main aim of the expedition was to raise as much money as possible and the support I have received from people and businesses across the town has been inspiring."

With offices in Hartlepool, Estonia, Australia, Vietnam and Nigeria; Probio Energy Ltd efficiently caters for global renewable energy requirements by supplying Biomass fuel, Recycled Waste Wood, pulp and timber and Refuse Derived Fuel internationally.

Gillian Ryan, from Probio Energy, said: "As soon as we heard about Damien's expedition we were keen to sponsor him.

"We are delighted he has returned safely and that he has been able to raise so much money for four very worthy charities which do so much for the people of Hartlepool."

Anyone interested in sponsoring Damien can do so by contacting him on 07717 348823 or email damien.wilson@hartlepool.gov.uk Alternatively, call 01429 284271.

Picture caption: Gillian Ryan, from Probio Energy, with Damien Wilson, Assistant Director (Regeneration) for Hartlepool Council.

Press release PRO49995. 14th October 2014.
Issued by Ed Turner, Public Relations and Communications Assistant, on 01429 523578.

Of the two current Directors of Probio Energy is one Mr Frank Antropik who also just happens to be a Director of - you guessed it - NIRAMAX.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

christine blakey

Did Damien kindly use his own annual leave for the epic adventure?

Did he take the cost of the trip from the charity money or did he too donate?

If he did do this during annual leave and also by paying for the trip himself, well done!

Has he thought of paying the staff of Manor Residents who were cheated from a charity supported by the Mayor, through a similar expedition?

one direction

Personally I never donate to this sort of thing. If someone wants to walk the great wall of china, climb everest, cycle across india or ski to the north pole then that's fine but don't use a charity fundraiser to pay for your adventures. Whats wrong with Miles for Men or the Walk for Life? Ah yes, they happen in Hartlepool where the costs of the event are very low so more money goes to the worthy cause and less goes to airlines, hotels, trip organisers and professional charity fund raisers. I'm even getting less keen on the race for life as they become more "professional" for which I read they employ more staff who make a good living out of people who donate to charity! The day I find out the Walk for Life has a Chief Executive making a six (or even seven) figure salary from it then I'm out of there. Charities are set up for the best of reasons but once they get too big the money men take over and the professional charity workers take a bigger and bigger slice of the pie, like "mobility cars" check out how much money Mike Betts, the chief executive of Motability Operations, makes........!

Land Phil

Mike Betts must be a role model for a number of our charitable councillors.

Massive conflict of interest with the sponsorship, only hope of righting that wrong is the elections and kick ConLab out of their cosy supportive bed.

christine blakey

As has been mentioned in another thread, the charity commission should be investigated for completely ignoring complaints and concerns relating to several Hartlepool charities.  Whilst for example, the £4.5 million Headland Trust (now public sector invested addition to one school in Hartlepool) investigation came to nothing resulting in all of the high tech equipment sat in cupboards and dating quickly and so wasting lottery and other funding. 

The facts are that charities are not supposed to be run the way they are in Hartlepool.

HBC are allowing it to happen, signing up to it with their references and signatures giving authority that the projects should bring money into the area. 

You just have to look at the boasting of how 'invaluable Radio Hartlepool is' proported to be when it has done nothing but bring shame on Hartlepool for years.  You just have to look at the long list of headlines to show that this is not opinion but fact.

Of course there is now another radio station evolving, and I think that it is time to put our efforts into looking at the competition (Stranton FM) which is aiming to give children the chance to mix DJ skills with life skills. 

Sadly, that is what Radio Hartlepool was supposed to do but the potential was lost and yet again, it was covered in councillors on the board and was far from politically neutral.

So I would say it is definitely time to stop going round in circles and get to the root of the problem. 

Councillors, do your jobs, and don't use charity to simply promote yourself at the expense of residents, the town and your ward (literally).

As I said, would Damien consider that the shameful front page of the newspaper today boasts well of the good charity work of the Mayor?

It is appalling that Lynda Gooding wants to leave Hartlepool as a result of a court order being ignored.

Lynda and other victims of the fallen charities where councillors have been involved are as deserving as the Chairman's charities. 

Quite frankly, I think that under the circumstances, all four chairman's charities should consider the fact that they are being used and abused for publicity.

The people involved in this set up, allowing it, covering it, ignoring it, should really be ashamed.