Hartlepool Mail Circulation Drops Another 16% in Just Twelve Months

Started by steveL, July 23, 2014, 05: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mk1

The Mail is just following the money. Once the paymaster changes so will  the  editorial stance. It is clear from recent highly unflattering photos of Councillors and the end of the blanket deletion of  negative personal comments on Labour /Tory worthies that the relationship is strained. Something has happened that we do not know about-yet!

Ted Bass

I bet the press office in the Kremlin can't wait for Orville and Oliver Hardy to move on.
The loneliness of the long distance lorry driver

ashamedtobebritish

From the looks of the figures, the Hartlepool Mail might as well throw in the towel and call it a day, at the rate they are loosing readers, to offset the cost of the Hartlepool mail will soon be 80p.

4 rolls of Bog Roll from Tesco's costs 60p and its more interesting to look at the dimples in the roll than whats in the mail.

It would seem that the Mail is suffering what can only be described as the Blockbuster Video effect, where people have chosen to do their reading and watching online and the Hartlepool Mail's business model just hasn't seemed to keep up with the changing attitudes of its readers. More notably the fact that they seem to publish one sided Labour Propaganda like a fachist Newsreel straight out of Nazi Germany.

I for one wont shed a tear when the Mail finally dies a terrible death,

Its already on the Terminal list

Think its high time it was "Put To Sleep"

The Great Dictator

It has to continue for public notices, deaths, births and marriages.

one direction

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/the-widespread-demand-for-local-journalism-remains-undiminished-8839603.html

Some interesting points in this article.

"John (Stapleton) deeply regrets the decline of local papers, and the subsequent harm this does to our democracy. As a cub reporter in Oldham, he used to cover every council committee meeting, and now many local papers don't even report from meetings of the full council. The local paper was a focal point of a town back then, and district reporters played a significant role in the life of the community."

Sums it up really!

for fawkes sake

The full figures suggest that generally a hike in the price of a newspaper is followed immediately by a significant drop in circulation. I don't suppose this is surprising really as every time it happens a reader will question whether the paper in question is really worth the money.
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

craig finton

I wouldn't mind little stories like this if they were just page-fillers but the paper seems to be full of these things while the really important stuff is virtually ignored. I'm more likely to read what is actually going on in Hartlepool these days through Private Eye than the Hartlepool Mail.

While we're being run by a bunch of free-loading crooks, the Mail really is running a 'who's got the biggest Sunflower' competition.

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/proud-hartlepool-boys-sunflower-stands-over-8ft-tall-1-6816665

steveL

Mildly irritating. The Mail are making a big thing about the new Art College Development claiming to have 'an exclusive' - a full week after it appeared on this site.

Funny how predictable these things are:

taken from the HP story:

"Although Hartlepool Borough Council played no significant part in the deal, preparations are already under way within HBC in an attempt to link the development to its 'Vision' plans for the future of Hartlepool and a press release is expected shortly."

The word 'lapdog' springs to mind.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

steveL

Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

DRiddle

Only a tiny relatively subtle reference to the vision I see.

Probably best given that this deal has been literally years in the making and completely pre-dates the vision.

steveL

Quote from: DRiddle on September 03, 2014, 06: PM
Only a tiny relatively subtle reference to the vision I see.

Probably best given that this deal has been literally years in the making and completely pre-dates the vision.

. . . oh it will be in tomorrow's Mail - front page, I reckon, with CAB sweating all over it