50 Years of Labour

Started by for fawkes sake, April 27, 2014, 02: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

for fawkes sake

I wonder if anyone has noticed that October this year will mark the 50th Anniversary of Hartlepool electing a Labour MP when it elected Ted Leadbitter in 1964. Labour have had a straight run ever since. It would be interesting to know what others thought that 50 years of support has brought the town?
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

norfolkngoode

Quote from: for fawkes sake on April 27, 2014, 02: PM
It would be interesting to know what others thought that 50 years of support has brought the town?

I've had a think about it, couldn't think of anything..........

50 years of stagnation.........

Then thought a bit more and realized they had turned the place in to the biggest dumping ground for other peoples 5hit in the area.

Landfill city....... As some of my workmates call it...............Quite an achievement.
'They don't like it up em'

Inspector Knacker

Proof if ever it was needed that people vote for the party and not the 'personality'.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

steveL

It's always been the greatest irony that the biggest structural change to Hartlepool in those years, the Marina development, came about as the result of a Tory initiative, as did City Challenge..
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

steveL

Quote from: Riddler5 on April 27, 2014, 08: PM
Proof if ever it was needed that people vote for the party and not the 'personality'.

Well Labour will certainly be grateful for that with Ed Miliband in charge - talk about Thunderbirds  ::)
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Inspector Knacker

Thunderbirds were supposedly useful....so Iet's think .....Muppets.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

fred c

I suppose I, like a lot of people who take an interest in politics & government have looked at the overall picture when General Elections come around & I have to admit that i have voted Labour on that basis.

However looking back over the 50 years of Labour rule in Hartlepool, i have great difficulty in coming up with anything that has improved the town under their auspices.

All 3 "Members" for Hartlepool since 1964 have certainly enriched their own personal circumstances in one way or another, whilst in my opinion done nothing for the enrichment of Hartlepool.

The Single Biggest Legacy that this Labour Council have left the people of Hartlepool, are the Landfills / Dumps / Waste Management Facilities, that will blight the town for Generations to come.

DRiddle

The litter is beyond a joke definitely. I realise it's not all due to the landfill and a lot of it is down to irresponsible people just chucking it everywhere.

But that said, the landfill must be such a massive contributor. The site at the far end near the blue lagoon is 'protected' by a net which is supposed to stop it blowing about isn't really doing the job effectively. There's hundreds of carrier bags blowing about all over.

I was in Ripon yesterday (they fall under Harrogate's council). I saw two pieces of litter all day.

I came home and saw two carrier bags trapped by the wind on the 'Welcome to Hartlepool' sign.