Question

Started by titch, March 24, 2014, 04: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

titch

whilst we have an ex editor of the mail on here can I ask him who was editor in late 1986,off topic I know

HarryBlackwood

Hi Titch. No problem and ad to help.

It was Peter Chislett. Died recently after suffering with MS for any years.

Has a lot to answer for. Gave me my break in journalism and was a great first boss. Kept promoting me ;-)

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/local/former-hartlepool-mail-editor-was-a-determined-fellow-who-was-admired-to-the-hilt-1-6419605

titch

ok thanks,i had occasion to go see him about something,a headline in late 86 and he wudnt come out and sent for the police.When they turned up and I explained why we were there they were apologetic.Chislett didn't have the guts to come talk to me and my sister in law.

HarryBlackwood

In Peter's defence, he was a very shy man. But I always felt that editor's should be willing to listen personally to complaints. Don't know what your issue was but I'd have been happy to discuss it if it was me.

The Great Dictator

Can you share it with us Titch ?

titch

My son took his life aged 15,two journos turned up and coming up the path they were laughing and joking. I feltl considering the situation a little sensitivity was in order. I wanted to speak to him about it,while we were very upset at the intrusion,he got someone to get the police.

titch

And in light of the bad press regarding the reporting the death of Lwren Scott. The headlines in the mail were Mother finds son 15 hanged.

The Great Dictator

Newspapers are well known for such behaviour and the Mail was no different.

One reason why i and the majority no longer buy them.