1,000 New Turbine Jobs for Hull

Started by steveL, March 25, 2014, 07: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

Remember when Hartlepool was to be made the wind turbine production hub for the east coast? The largest wind turbine farm in the world is to be built 90 miles off the Hartlepool coast on the Doggerbank with 2,000 turbines and there are currently plans for a total of 7,000 in the North Sea....and where is Hartlepool in all this?

Tees Valley Unlimited are now pushing Redcar to be the 'hub' instead of Hartlepool while HBC itself is dreaming of Ferris Wheels and an influx of more minimum wage jobs making Lattes and turning down hotel beds.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

HarryBlackwood

Great point Steve. Hartlepool was built on manufacturing. Germany has proved that an economy based on manufacturing is successful and sustainable.

The fools 'running' Hartlepool seem to buy into the bull***t that service sector jobs will create wealth and prosperity. Nonsense. Most SS jobs are low skilled and low paid. Remember Garlands?

Hartlepool Vision was nothing more than a PR exercise with Stubbs doing what his political masters told him. Pie in the sky scheme that the gullible and stupid buy into. Town sold short again. Stubbs retires with a massive pay off. Job done.

Hartlepudlion

I posted this on another post but it is relevant here as well

Yep, our representatives have let us down again.

Another example being the announcement today that Hull has won Seiman's investment in wind farms.

I understood from our MP that we, Hartlepool, were going to become the centre for wind farm technology and manufacturer.

Another failure of our vainglorious MP and our ineffective Council and Councillors.

What is the Council 's Regeneration Department for apart from being a house builder?

Pwilson

Yet another revelation that should be shocking but isn't even a mild surprise.

Hartlepool isn't able to compete with anyone while those in control are self-absorbed and disinterested.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: Pwilson on March 25, 2014, 10: AM
Yet another revelation that should be shocking but isn't even a mild surprise.

Hartlepool isn't able to compete with anyone while those in control are self-absorbed and disinterested.

And too busy whimpering 'we're deprived'/'give us alms' to show any real initiative . . .

Pwilson

Its funny that deprived thing. Most people don't realise they're the ones being talked about as deprived.

What we are deprived of is leadership, backbone and ideas that will work. Somehow a smokey steel works plant or shipyard with 5000 workers seems way more appealing than a glorious cafe culture and waterside area of no relevance to Hartlepool people.

Jamescampbell78

Very good point. We have a lot of the skillsets required for this sort of work right here in the town, both in the design/engineering side and in the actual manufacture. A good mate of mine has never worked in Hartlepool despite living here all his life. His previous job was in helicopter manufacture, he's now working away in Northampton working for an F1 Team. Our MP needs to be driving things so initiatives like this come to the town.

not4me

did you see this bit Steve?

"Siemens said the factories would be operational in 2016 to meet demand for large wind farms such as Dogger Bank. "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-26725473

The Great Resender

The skill set is available locally its just that they are all working out of town, I have had a successful engineering career but have had to travel away from home for the last twenty five years to get it, bringing hard earned cash that is spent locally which ids my own small boost to the economy

steveL

At The Vision launch, I asked Damien Wilson about the missing turbine jobs we were promised when Victoria Harbour was scrapped. The Doggerbank consortium had been holding public consultations in Redcar about the Doggerbank plans for the biggest offshore wind farm in the world.

Wilson wrongly claimed that the consultations in Redcar were about the maintenance of the 28 turbines already off Redcar. However, the really worrying part was that, as the Assistant Director of Regeneration, he clearly hadn't a clue about the Doggerbank plans or the fact that Tees Valley Unlimited was now pushing Redcar as the place for turbine production.

No, he was entirely focussed on The Vision, HBC's as yet unfunded plans to bring one or two hundred more minimum wage jobs to the town while hiking up the profits of a gaggle of increasingly dodgy developers.

I don't know how much we're paying Damien Wilson but whatever it is it's too much. For that sort of salary band we're entitled to have someone who's on top of their game and not making it up as they go along.

I'm still trying to get over his Vision Video and Mail comment that Hartlepool was founded 150 years ago.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.