750 quid for a notice board................

Started by mk1, January 10, 2014, 11: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mk1

mk1

Note the way a Council Press Release complete with photo is used by the lazy Mail with just a few minor alterations .

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/local/residents-sit-up-and-take-notice-1-6363618

The  bits the Mail deleted are in red:

Keeping residents informed (Changed to Residents sit up and take notice)
Published Thursday 9th January 14
RESIDENTS living in an area of Hartlepool will be better informed of what is going on in their local community – thanks to the efforts of two local councillors and a prominent businessman.
Hart Ward councillors Paul Beck and Jean Robinson have both used £750 of their individual Ward Budget to help fund a new notice board at Clavering Shops.
Ward Budgets were introduced by Hartlepool Council in 2012/13 to enable local councillors to initiate improvements in the areas they represent. Each councillor received £5,000 to spend on projects in the current financial year.
Councillor Beck said: "Ward councillors have a duty to support their local communities and the new notice board will help keep people informed about what is happening in the local area."
Fellow Hart Ward councillor Jean Robinson added: "Previously, there was a lack of facilities to inform local people about what is happening in the Clavering area and a number of organisations have already come forward in the first few days to use it which is great."
The attractive glass-fronted notice board is located on land owned by well-known businessman Leo Gillen and he is delighted to support the new amenity.
Mr Gillen, Managing Director of Gillen Limited, commented:[changed to 'said'] "We are always keen to support the Council and local communities. The notice board is in a prominent location and I am sure it will be well used by local people."

The notice board already has several posters displayed and the local community are being encouraged to use it. Anyone interested in displaying information should contact Susan McBride at Hartlepool Council on 01429 523075. Alternatively, email susan.mcbride@hartlepool.gov.uk.
Picture Caption - Councillor Paul Beck (centre left) and Councillor Jean Robinson (centre right) meet up with neighbourhood officers and members of the Clavering community at the new notice board.

Press release PR16590 9 January 2014.
Issued by Alastair Rae, Public Relations Manager, on 01429 523510

steveL

Actually, the way it reads, the two councillors have both used £750 from their individual budgets i.e. £1,500 in total. At that price I think the main question should be why on earth it cost so much - it looks like a perfect example of HBC losing the plot on 'value for money'.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

mk1

Wonder which relative/mate  got the contract..................

whatabouthisthen

I thought you might like to see the Cllrs Ward budgets as of about a month ago.

Doesnt show what the monies were spent on, unfortunately. Suggest you ask your Ward Councillors on what and how they spent their budget.
sorry file too big so one page at a time. That didn't work either so will have to contact admin &/or open to suggestions. Tried pdf as well but no luck.
On the Council's website you should be able to find them under the agenda and notices for the Finance and Policy Committee 19th December, 2013 WARD MEMBER BUDGETS 6.1 if you do take this path I am sure you will find other interesting sections.

I gather that some councillors were going to spend some, if not all, on a Christmas Party for their constituents.

Hartlepudlion

ok will have a look. did any member of the public attend?

SRMoore

Quote from: mk1 on January 10, 2014, 12: PM
Fellow Hart Ward councillor Jean Robinson added: "Previously, there was a lack of facilities to inform local people about what is happening in the Clavering area and a number of organisations have already come forward in the first few days to use it which is great."

Lies! All lies. Jean Robinson said nothing, ever.

fred c

Quote from: SRMoore on January 10, 2014, 08: PM
Quote from: mk1 on January 10, 2014, 12: PM

Lies! All lies. Jean Robinson said nothing, ever.

The famous Quote... Lies, Dammed Lies & Statistics, has been transmogrified by "The Mob" & its Mouthpiece The Mail into.............

Lies, Dammed Lies & More Lies.

. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies
To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

craig finton

I liked the bit about using the board being used to remind Beck and Robinson about important meetings they should attend.  ;D