Press Release Emphasises HBC Armed Forces Support

Started by admin, November 18, 2014, 02: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

HARTLEPOOL Council has reaffirmed its strong support for the armed forces following the rejection of plans for a "village" community that would have provided homes for war veterans.

Councillor Allan Barclay, the Council's Armed Forces Champion, stressed that the decision taken by the Planning Committee should not be seen as a snub to ex-service personnel and was based on material planning considerations.

Councillor Barclay who served in the Royal Engineers for 25 years, said: "This decision wasn't so much about the nature of the development but rather its proposed location off Brenda Road.

"There was particular concern over its close proximity to existing heavy industry and on a site allocated for industrial/commercial use. The proposed development  might affect the future operation of the companies in that area and have a detrimental effect on the town's economy."

He added: "Hartlepool Council is and always will be a strong supporter of the armed forces."

"We have signed up to the North East Forces Community Charter and developed - in co-operation with other public bodies and representatives of the armed forces - the Hartlepool Armed Forces Community Covenant which commits us to supporting ex-service personnel in areas such as housing, health, social care and employment.

"As an ex-servicemen myself, I am fully aware of some of the issues faced by many people when they leave the armed forces and return to civilian life and we will continue to work closely with organisations representing their interests, to try to tackle these issues."

Press release pr26224. November 18 2014.
Issued by Steve Hilton, Public Relations Officer, on (01429) 284065.

mk1

Quote from: admin on November 18, 2014, 02: PM
"As an ex-servicemen myself, I am fully aware of some of the issues faced by many people when they leave the armed forces and return to civilian life

Like excessive  consumption of alcohol?