National Charity Fraud Awareness Week

Started by PKelly, October 22, 2018, 07: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PKelly

I've just seen this elsewhere and thought it would be interesting to discuss on here.

What can be done to ensure that charities have clearer separation from "Good Causes" or personal moneymaking schemes?

https://www.fundraisingregulator.org.uk/more-from-us/resources/charity-clothing-collections

Lucy Lass-Tick

Welcome to the forum - an interesting first post! A local ward FB page recently carried a post about thieves collecting bags of clothing before the genuine charity got to the doorsteps. Foggy Furze ward, if my memory serves me.

PKelly

Thanks, it got me thinking because my porch is always filled with these bags, but I'd have never thought to check the names/charity numbers on them.

This was shared by Great North Air Ambulance who said people had used a variation of their name on bags in the past.

It also strikes me that when you look online, people always seem to be trying to get you to donate to one thing or another without much in the way of credentials. The not so surprising news today that "Tommy Robinson" has had over £2m donated to him in various campaigns with very little in the way of governance is another example of how easily people can be parted from their money.

mk1

Quote from: PKelly on October 22, 2018, 08: PM
The not so surprising news today that "Tommy Robinson" has had over £2m donated to him in various campaigns with very little in the way of governance is another example of how easily people can be parted from their money.

Hopefully he will be back in jail tomorrow.

Land Phil

I have received bags for the children's air ambulance.

I assume that is a fake one.

Inspector Knacker

'Children's Air Ambulance' aren't they the same for everyone? 
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on October 22, 2018, 09: PM
'Children's Air Ambulance' aren't they the same for everyone?

Never heard of it either. As for the 'Tommy Robinson' business previously mentioned, think that one's best left alone.

Gustaf I of England + BWH

Quote from: Land Phil on October 22, 2018, 08: PM
I have received bags for the children's air ambulance.

I assume that is a fake one.

This may shed a little light -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children%27s_Air_Ambulance

There's a website  for the Children's Air Ambulance too but it doesn't look to have been updated for a couple of years or so and my browser had a few issues with the site (possibly just cookie settings) so I've not posted a link to it.

The Wiki page suggests that they are now controlled by the air ambulance service.

PKelly

Land Phil,

Children's Air Ambulance is a genuine charity, but if in doubt, the bags should carry the charity registration number, which you can check online.