Police commissioner

Started by Julie noted, October 22, 2012, 06: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stig of the Seaton Dump

I believe this role will be as ineffective as the elected mayor we have.

I don't believe it.

steveL

Now let me think....... a sacked Chief Constable, a Deputy Chief Constable in the middle of a disciplinary hearing....then there was that woman .....oh and the Chairman of the Police Authority arrested, forced to resign, suspended from the Labour Party and under criminal investigation along with a selection of other current and previous members of the Police Authority.....add in Operation Lancet and a few million quid and ...

.... sorry, did you say it's been working fine for 200 years?

Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

steveL

I've no idea if a Police Commissioner will be any better but God knows, it couldn't be any worse.!
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Who knows indeed, but I agree that the current set up is crumbling...apart from his Independent stance, one of the main reasons I support Sultan Alam is that he has in-depth working knowledge of practical policing - not only where things work but first hand experience of the problems where things go wrong.

steveL

I don't want to be unkind but . . .

....work out the question for yourselves  ;)

The Great Dictator

One is a fat reptile and the other is a slimy f*c**r, work it out yourselves..

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Spot the difference competition ? ...hard one if it is.
I don't believe it.

The Great Dictator

Why no Lib Dem in the line up ?

It is Cleggs policy after all....

steveL

No it isn't. The Lib-Dems are against the whole idea which is why they are not fielding any candidates.

SRMoore

Quote from: steveL on November 14, 2012, 11: AM
No it isn't. The Lib-Dems are against the whole idea which is why they are not fielding any candidates.

Unlike Labour who are against the whole thing but want you to vote for their man ;)

testing times

Coppinger has an advert for himself in tonight's Mail which includes the petty snipe:
"This is not a job for beginners...and it's not a job for would-be Chief Constables."
Does this Party ever have anything to offer but petty-minded spite....?

steveL

BARRY Coppinger has been elected at Cleveland's new police commissioner.

The Labour candidate headed the poll ahead of Conservative rival Ken Lupton, it was confirmed at the count at Thornaby Pavilion today.

Mr Coppinger, a former Labour councillor in Middlesbrough and ex-member of Cleveland Police Authority will now take on the £70,000-a-year post.

He won in all four Teesside boroughs, gaining 25,691 votes in the first round of voting, witha 41% share.

After second preferences, he totalled 31,340 votes - ahead of Stockton councillor Ken Lupton's total of 20,171. Mr Lupton had 16,047 of first preferences.

In the first round of voting, independent Sultan Alam received 11,561 while the Green Party's Joe Michna's polled 8,484 votes. Neither made it through to the second round of counting.

The turnout was 15.1%, mirroring the general apapthy nationwide towards the commissioner elections.

Read More http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/2012/11/16/barry-coppinger-elected-as-cleveland-police-commissioner-84229-32248186/#ixzz2COrsXENg

SRMoore

Interestingly during the second round of counting the Hartlepool votes, Coppinger won by just 38 votes.

steveL

One of the first tasks the new Police Commissioner will have to take is whether to endorse the merging of Hartlepool and Stockton districts. Hartlepool has the lowest crime figures in Cleveland while Stockton has some of the highest.  It's obvious if this happens there will be a demand to see resource moved from Hartlepool to Stockton. Will that be in Hartlepools best interests?

Stuart Drummond has always resisted this merger, now he's effectively gone the force will try and get it passed as soon as possible.  Barry Coppinger lives in the Mboro area, will he give a xxxx about Hartlepool or will he fight to keep Hartlepool as a district on it's own?

marky

Wonderful. On the day Labour's former Chair of the Police Authority McLuckie is charged with perverting the course of justice, 'Vote labour' Barry Coppinger is elected Police Commissioner.