Police commissioner

Started by Julie noted, October 22, 2012, 06: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRMoore

steveL

Interesting piece on Dyke House on the BBC last night though I did wonder why they concentrated their filming on the area of derelict properties which are about to be demolished. It did however highlight another point which is the obsession of the Police with quoting falling crime figures even though the real-life experience of the public suggests otherwise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-20220991
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

SRMoore

Just a reminder to say that Ken Lupton, the Conservative PCC candidate will be at the bottom of the ramp today to meet and answer your questions between 10:30 and 13:00.

I would encourage you to call by if you are out and about today. I'll also be there to chat to should anybody want to chew my ear.

Shane

for fawkes sake

I don't think the news will be full of who won what the day after these badly thought out roles/elections; the news will be of the disasterously low turnout and of how any of the winners can possibly claim a mandate to do anything.
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

notenoughsaid

.....For several months I have been dismayed by the lunacy that is about to be unleashed upon us after the forthcoming election for the local PCC.     This must be the only £65,000 + PA salaried position available on the planet whereby the applicant does not have to be shortlisted or even provide a CV let alone any proof of qualifications for the job. Sheer lunacy and an insult to people who have graduated etc. (Not me at 65 yrs plus!!)   Having paid  £5,000 deposit and proven residential status  plus  a CRO check together with UK citizenship or even more dangerously ,EU citizenship in the UK with voting rights,the door is open. All it takes is the ability to persuade enough people to vote for you and you are in.I accept that that is how democracy works but surely not for such a high calibre position as this. Having perused the list of candidates  on offer I feel that some EU registered citizens may have missed a trick here. Perhaps they may have produced a more suitable candidate however how would  we know?   In the words of Private Fraser "were doomed" Good luck to all.

tankerville

Concerning the comments made of an elected Police Commissioner it may be well worth noting his remarks made at the Central Neighbourhood Forum by Cllr Carl Richardson on this very subject. 20th October 2011 bottom part of page 4.

Talk about being 2 faced, this guy's 40 faced.

The Great Dictator

Vote for Alam, he'll make life uncomfortable for everyone if nothing else..

steveL

I'm inclined to agree given that we're going to end up with someone claiming to have won.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Julie noted

As stated previously, it has got to be Sultan Alam for me.

Let's look at labour man coppinger;
He was on the police authority when all of the alleged 'dealings' were on the go. His mates on the authority were fellow labour dinosaurs, wallace and mcLuckie.

Are you telling me coppinger considers himself capable of leading cleveland police into a brighter future, when he couldn't even see what was (allegedly) going on right under his nose?  :-X
He has got to be a non starter for that reason.

Joe Michna; the green party.
He should stick to what he appears to do well, Hartlepool's CAB service.  :-*

What has the 'green party' got to do with running a large police force?
Joe even states he wants to see more police on bikes!
Is that because it makes for better policing, or it is his 'green party' crap coming through?  :o
Look Joe, when we want a copper, we want him quickly...not some overweight bozo pedalling like fury!  ;D

The gas guzzling helicopter would have to go and any vehicles with a CO2 level above 98 would be scrapped.
'green party' ethics should not be involved in the choice of commissioner.

ken lupton;
Has a management background and appears to have some sort of nous when it comes to management.
However, he doesn't know the police system and how it works and how it can be  (obviously) easily corrupted. Stick to politics Ken.

The person for me is someone that has that intimate knowledge of cleveland police (28 years in the force).
Someone that has experienced the way policemen (from the bottom to the very top) can be just a crooked (allegedly) as the scum that infest our magistrates courts on a regular basis.

Sultan Alam isn't in the frame to simply 'get back' at cleveland police for his wrongful imprisonment by corrupt police officers.  8)

He knows what goes on and is determined to sweep through those corridors with a clean broom.
As a retired police sergeant, he knows how to serve the public and I believe that is exactly what he will do.

I simply do not trust career politicians with the governance of cleveland police.   :o                 

Alam on the 15th...........no second choice. :)

rabbit

The guff(spiel) by each candidate is here.

http://www.policecrimecommissioner.co.uk/Cleveland

Haven`t had any of this posted through my door as yet.

I get plenty of other junk mail.

fred c

Quote from: rabbit on November 12, 2012, 03: PM
The guff(spiel) by each candidate is here.

http://www.policecrimecommissioner.co.uk/Cleveland

Haven`t had any of this posted through my door as yet.

I get plenty of other junk mail.

Thanks Rabbit, like you i have had nothing at all about this farcical election through my door, so having read the bumph from each candidate i am adopting the position of an "Independent"

We have seen what a Labout group have done for Hartlepool over the years ..... not a lot.... so it`s a big fat NO for Coppinger from me.

We have first hand evidence of what the Tory group in the Hartlepool Council Chamber have done for Hartlepool....... Nothing.... so a NO for Lupton

I have no interest in the Greens political point of view, Green energy policies are costing the working man a fortune in subsidies to unscrupulous energy companies...... sorry Joe..... thanks but no thanks.

That leaves only the Independent Candidate........ So its Alam for me.

My thinking may be flawed, but i fervently believe political parties should keep their noses out of local policing............ we have seen first hand on HTH how local politicians can influence the local police force........

notenoughsaid

...I'ts a story long overdue to be written but however here goes.....It is common knowledge that  Blair, Mandelson and cohorts in Johnston press rid our town of Harry Blackwood, perhaps the last decent editor of  the Mail.   The same people conspired against Ray Mallon after the 1997 election when Labour, seemingly against all odds regained power.   Prior to  the election Mallon championed the cause of "zero tolerence" to improve policing in area. He invited Mr.Bill Bratton and an associate to the area to  lecture on the subject.Bratton being from Boston USA and later chief of NYPD. His theory being rid the street of the foot soldiers then the so called 'Mr Bigs' could not operate.  It seemed a good theory as it worked and cleaned up large parts of New York City.   Shortly after this was highlighted by the UK press both Michael Howard and Jack Straw (shadow Home Sec ) fought for photo opportunities  supporting the idea.   All well and good ,then came the election. Mr Blair was made P.M..... Then it was realised it was encumbent upon him to follow this approach through.  It would have meant all 42 Police Forces in the UK would have to go down this line.   Here comes the rub.   The love of his life and her love of Human Rights( and the dosh that goes with it) I say perhaps but feel pretty certain she put the boot in and 'Teflon Tone' had to change direction. It was shortly after that 'Operation Lancet' was initiated to discredit Mallon in the very same way Blackwood was disposed of. To mention Dr.Kelly would be mischievous but very relevant..  I have no doubts that Mr. Mallon sailed close to the wind and the enq. cost circa £7 Million. However it shows that 'dark forces' may be at work. In relation to Dep.Ch. Constable Turnbull who arrived at Cleveland shortly after the 1997 election and was the man who suspended Mallon for 'conduct which could be construed as criminal' he later disappeared with a golden handshake and a good job as commissioner of Police in the Turks and Caicos Islands.  Nice work if you can get it. Just a few thoughts to ponder over.!!!

The Great Dictator

I think it was Barry Shaw that went to the Caicos islands ?

mk1

Quote from: notenoughsaid on November 13, 2012, 12: AM
It was shortly after that 'Operation Lancet' was initiated to discredit Mallon

Mallon was not some misunderstood saint but rather a man who believed the law did not apply to him and he could do no wrong.
He was not the answer to the problem he was the problem.
His 'squad' engaged in serious criminal activity and several were kicked out  after Mallon left. Basicaly a bunch of drug using  bullying thugs.

http://www.mojuk.org.uk/bulletins/evil.html

Mallon pleaded guilty to 14 disciplinary charges, admitting that he repeatedly lied, deliberately withheld evidence from senior officers, and turned a blind eye to detectives who took and dealt hard drugs, and supplied them to vulnerable suspects in custody..................
The Observer has learnt that Mallon did not plead guilty once but twice. After first admitting the charges on 4 February, Acres ordered he return to the tribunal two days later and repeat the exercise, and provide a firm assurance that he offered his pleas as an unequivocal acceptance of guilt. In the privacy of the closed tribunal, Mallon meekly complied. In public, last week he proved his assurance had been worthless, telling reporters he was not really guilty at all. He had only pleaded guilty in order to be sacked, he claimed..............................Despite his evident enthusiasm, there was unease among his colleagues at one of his first acts. Two years earlier, a Middlesbrough detective had been transferred to uniform for acting improperly with one of his informants. Even before Mallon began his new posting, the man was earnestly lobbying him to allow him back in the CID. Mallon agreed, appointing him to a new 'intelligence unit'. That officer was Brendon Whitehead.

At Mallon's weekly motivational sessions, he used to praise Whitehead to his plainclothes and uniformed colleagues as a 'risk taker,' precisely the kind of officer Middlesbrough needed to get the desired results. In fact, as Mallon became increasingly aware, he was a reckless cocaine user, whose relationships with criminals went far beyond the proper legal boundaries governing contact between detectives and informants. Operation Lancet took several statements from officers and civilians who reported Whitehead taking drugs in local pubs, at least once snorting cocaine directly from the bar.................. In March 1997, evidence surfaced that another detective - who cannot be named for legal reasons - had given a female prisoner heroin......................As Matthews was being led back to his cell, a uniformed officer spotted a cigarette packet in his shirt pocket. Inside were the remains of the heroin, and the rolled aluminium foil which he had used to smoke it inside the detectives' car.

An official inquiry began, but Mallon said nothing of the concerns he already had about Whitehead and his colleagues, and even arranged for one of the officers to visit the cells in the middle of the night and talk to Matthews again. A few days later he held a meeting for the CID. According to the Lancet dossier, he told Whitehead: 'The biggest thing you did wrong was getting caught.' Matthews, however, was a criminal, 'and no one would believe him'. He told the three detectives to say nothing..................A pale, thin, sobbing girl, aged 16, presented herself at the station, the supposed national centre of zero tolerance policing. She said that she had been brutally beaten and raped by her former boyfriend, Michael Richardson..........Over the next few hours, officers trained in coaxing statements from the victims of sexual assaults took down her harrowing story. As they did so, a parallel horror became apparent: that Richardson had been protected for months by at least two detectives. One of them, she said, was Whitehead, who had given Richardson a police-issue CS gas cannister to use against rival criminals.................The uniformed inspector had drawn up a report, setting out the girl's allegations about Richardson's relationship with detectives, and recommending an immediate inquiry. Mallon sat beside him and scored out all the most incriminating details, ordering him to produce an alternative, diluted version. They did not need to be investigated, Mallon said, because they amounted merely to 'hearsay'. Unfortunately for Mallon, the inspector kept the original, and supplied it to Operation Lancet.

notenoughsaid

To mk1.......thanks for the reply. I seem to remember you have posted it before and I read it with horror. I didn't set out to wave a flag for Mr.Mallon . My intention was to warn the candidates that nothing lasts forever and be aware  of what they will be up against. Perhaps they are.