Police commissioner

Started by Julie noted, October 22, 2012, 06: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julie noted

Just like elected mayors, another tier of 'government' we don't need (or can afford).
However, the commissioner post ought to be non political...especially NOT labour, surely we've learned our lesson there?  :-X

I am going to vote for the person that;
1) has had police experience
2) knows exactly what goes on in Cleveland police
3) has the courage to stand up to the police hierarchy....

That man is ex Sgt. Sultan Alam.
Numerous police officers conspired against Sgt. Alam and he spent years in jail as a result.
He finally won his appeal and the officers were found guilty of outright lies and perjury. Some were allowed to retire and some were sacked.
No surprise there, then.  :-X

If we have to have a commissioner, he HAS to be totally independent of tainted gutter politics.

Secondly, I was going to vote against the mayoral system but reading between the lines and realising just what the pond life in the kremlin have in store for us...I'm for keeping the mayoral position.  :)

Lucy Lass-Tick

Well said on both points, Julie.

The Great Dictator

Poor judgement Julie, remember what happened in Germany when one person had too much power ??

SRMoore

So you're now likening Drummond to Hitler? :s

steveL

Funny, I thought we were talking about Cllr James..... ;)
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

mk1

I see no link between Hitler and Mad Dog-apart from the moustache that is!

The Great Dictator

Power corrupts Shane, you should know that.

not4me

Labour will be relying on a low public turn-out and working flat out to get their own activists out to swing it. God help us if we end up with a Labour Commissioner after the McLuckie business.

Julie noted

testicles; At least with the mayoral system we can vote the incumbent out. (It's just one person).
It's not so easy to vote out a whole, disingenuous cabal.  >:(

I don't like what the mayor has done over the years (tall stories etc. etc.) but let's hope the next one is chosen for his political and financial acumen, and not because he football mad!  ::)

The Great Dictator

Julie, we have wanted him out for 11 years so if you vote yes you can expect him for another 11 years. He's too comfy, he needs to go then the SCABS will shoot themselves in the foot even quicker...

Lucy Lass-Tick

Somehow I suspect that Mr Drummond already has alternative irons in the fire when it comes to planning his future.  People need to disassociate the man and the role. If we keep the mayoral system then we can at least elect the man or woman that we, as voters, choose and hold that person to account.

The alternative leaves it in the hands of the ruling group and heaven knows how many committees and groups which might ensue. That could be the route to a bureaucratic nightmare.

The Great Dictator

It worked well for 150 years before Drummond came along..

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: testicles on October 24, 2012, 02: AM
It worked well for 150 years before Drummond came along..

Don't people get it - we aren't talking about a return to the old system as that is NOT even on offer!

The Great Dictator

We are talking about the committee system which was disbanded in 1999 you silly girl.

rabbit

As of today, not counting Boris Johnson, there are

Fifteen councils with a directly elected mayor.

Six of these mayors are Labour and all are in Labour controlled councils

Four directly elected mayors (including Stuart Drummond for Hartlepool) are "Independent", and the councils are three Labour, and one with no overall control.

Two  mayors are Conservative, one is in a Labour council and one in a Conservative council.

Two are Lib Dem mayors, one council is  Lib Dem controlled, and one is no overall control.

One "English Democrat" mayor, who is in a Labour controlled council.

It was Labour in 2000 who introduced the concept of directly elected mayors

Of these fifteen councils today, eleven are Labour controlled.

If the elected mayoral system is ditched, these eleven concillors would naturally favour their own Labour councillors. Thus the public would have less say in how their council is run.

As we are now going for directly elected Police Commissioners, it would be a backward step to remove the present arrangement of a directly elected mayor.