Labour Laugh Off 5th Mention in Rotten Boroughs

Started by steveL, August 08, 2014, 08: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

Quote from: one direction on August 14, 2014, 09: AM
St.Hilda wad no longer exists? Wasn't  it  merged with Stranton in a deliberate gerrymandering action to swamp the area with rock solid labour votes to destroy the troublesome tendency of the headland to repeatedly reject labour candidates?

You got that one right.  ;)
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

one direction

Quote from: SRMoore on August 14, 2014, 08: AMWhen will UKIP start contesting Headland and Harbour again? The St Hilda wards was your strongest ward by a good margin and it seems odd that you wouldn't continue to fight this ward.

I was interested enough by this comment to do some research. UKIP held the St.Hilda seat until 2010 when their candidate Stephen Allison was defeated by 555 votes to 676 by the labour candidate John Marshall (I thought he wass independent but I was obviously wrong?). Mr Allison failed to retake the seat a year later by a single vote 359 to 360 from Independent Timothy Fleming, who I can't find out anything about? What happened to him. Mr Alliison contested the combined seat of Headland and Harbour for Putting Hartlepool First (PHF) in 2012 and was soundly trounced into fourth place by Labour's Jim Ainsle, 525 votes to 763. That appears to have been enough for Mr.Allison, three defeats in a row! In 2014 Steve Latimer (I assume the Steve L from this site?) contested the seat for PHF and lost to Labour by 559 votes to 674.

The former Stranton ward, which merged with St.Hilda to form Headland and Harbour, has been solid labour for ever, getting over 50% of the vote in 2011, the last time it was fought as a seperate ward.

So to call it UKIP's stongest seat might be a bit of a stretch? They haven't held it since 2010 and haven't contested it since 2011. I think if PHF and UKIP could do a deal then maybe UKIP could take the seat but it would need a local candidaste who worked the ward. I haven't seen much evidence of that from either PHF or UKIP so far.

SRMoore

QuoteUKIP held the St.Hilda seat until 2010 when their candidate Stephen Allison was defeated by 555 votes to 676 by the labour candidate John Marshall (I thought he wass independent but I was obviously wrong?)
John Marshall WAS an independent councillors for the St Hilda ward. Labour, having failed at every other attempt to take the seat, resorted to questionable tactics and put up a John W Marshall from the other side of town to stand against Stephen Allison in the hope that people would just see the name of a very popular independent councillor and assume he had switched to Labour and therefore vote for him. The tactic worked and John W Marshall was elected leaving locals fuming when they realised it was a different bloke who would go on to be an absent councillors for the ward.

QuoteMr Allison failed to retake the seat a year later by a single vote 359 to 360 from Independent Timothy Fleming, who I can't find out anything about? What happened to him.
Tim Fleming is a very well known bloke from the Headland who is one of the landlords in all but name of the Cosmopolitan Hotel. He is also very well known through the rugby scene. He was due to fight his seat the year the ward was merged but fell quite seriously I'll on return from holiday just before the election was called and couldn't fight it.

QuoteMr Alliison contested the combined seat of Headland and Harbour for Putting Hartlepool First (PHF) in 2012 and was soundly trounced into fourth place by Labour's Jim Ainsle, 525 votes to 763
Jim was the chairman of the parish council and is apparently also quite well known. Though I must admit I hadn't heard of him until he stood despite spending nearly all of my life living on the headland. He was of course proper up by the solid Labor vote from the old Stranton ward as you yourself could see.
Out of respect for Mr Allison and the work he had done for the party over the years, Ukip agreed not put up against him on this occasion though possibly a combination of the high Labour vote and non UKIP attachment he didn't do as well as expected.

Steve Latimer took over from Stephen in the following election and UKIP strangely didn't put up again. The party does however still have a lot of support in the old St Hilda ward and the fact that the ward was one of just two they had ever held in Hartlepool shows that it was one of their strongest wards. Just because they haven't contested it since doesn't mean it isn't.

DRiddle

Keeping in minds Shane is back chipping in on the forum, which is very welcome, I have a question or two.

Keeping in mind both Shane, myself and anyone with a brain knows the only way for meaningful change to occur in Hartlepool is for us to become a marginal that major parties have to fight and work for.

Does Shane still intend to stand in the general election? Also, how would he feel if there was a national pact between UKIP and the Tories and he was directed to stand down by Conservative central office?

My view is, in a 'straight shootout' between Phil versus Iain, Iain is VERY vulnerable. Where as if Shane stands, the biggest contribution he will be known for in Hartlepool is splitting the right of centre vote and handing Wright another term.

I don't say that vindictively. It's just the cold reality of the situation.

SRMoore

Quote from: DRiddle on August 16, 2014, 10: AM
Keeping in mind both Shane, myself and anyone with a brain knows the only way for meaningful change to occur in Hartlepool is for us to become a marginal that major parties have to fight and work for.

That is one statement you have made recently, David that I can wholeheartedly agree with and one that I stated was the ONLY reason I intended to stand against Iain in the GE.

QuoteAlso, how would he feel if there was a national pact between UKIP and the Tories and he was directed to stand down by Conservative central office?
Kipperdip will recall 'I' was the one calling for a pact long before I announced or Philip was selected.

Do I believe Philip, personally, is the best person to take on Iain? No. Being from out of town and his lack of local knowledge will go against him as it did Jodie Dunn.

The "cold reality of the situation" is that UKIP have made Hartlepool a target seat and the new NE MEP has based his office here (which I welcome) and with the office and finance that comes with it I will admit that UKIP as a party are much better placed to fight the GE against Labour.

The other reality is that with a second child just arrived, work commitments and study I probably would not have the time to fight a GE campaign with the commitment I would like to give this time around.

But remember, I hadn't been officially selected yet. I'd just thrown my hat in the ring ;)

fred c

Quote from: DRiddle on August 16, 2014, 10: AM
Keeping in minds Shane is back chipping in on the forum, which is very welcome,

Ditto

one direction

Quote from: SRMoore on August 16, 2014, 10: AMthe new NE (UKIP) MEP has based his office here (Hartlepool)

what's the address? I couldn't find anything about this when I tried to find out?  I might want to have a chat with him sometime  ;)

Lord Elpus

This is not knocking UKIP just an observation.

During the last two parliamentary elections in Hartlepool all major party's have opened an Office, Lib/dem, and Respect spring to mind as classic examples.  Once the election is over the office closes and everyone goes back to base.

Its just part of the election machine for various reasons. 

On a personal note I believe Labour needs a kick up the backside in Hartlepool and Shighty failing to get elected would be a great start.

marky

Let's hope it's in Murray Street. That way it will help you secure the Muslim vote.  ::)

Tommy

LordElpus, all I hear about the Labour machine is Charity.

The Mayor is indeed doing well for local charity's (at obvious cost to the taxpayers, print work, advertising & the "paid" time of Council officers) whilst at the same time diluting the future Labour vote in doing so, hes allowing UKIP to further themselves, by doing so much good for local charity (between a rock and a hard place) he must be in a dilemma of what to do next to try and regain the Labour vote, I personally genuinely think UKIP will gain more votes in future because of this.

Lord Elpus

Quote from: kipperdip on August 26, 2014, 08: AM
LE, you say you are "just observing and not knocking UKIP"  Perish the thought.
Your remark is pointless as it will not essentially be a 'UKIP office'.  It will be the office of UKIP's North East MEP.  It will remain as his office as long as he is an MEP.

It will handle constituency matters for the entire North East.

Is that succinct enough?

Oops, I must have touched a nerve.  KD gives the impression that I'm in the habit of attacking him and UKIP.  Please check out my postings on this forum, I'm not in the habit of attacking UKIP, but if you want me to start I'm happy to oblige.

I welcome UKIP putting a regional Office in Hartlepool.  KD did Gordon Parkin from Stockton get the job he was promised, or was he stiched up?