Hartlepool Mail shutting office.

Started by notinshadow, April 27, 2012, 06: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rabbit

A  regular Page 3 pin-up could help circulation (not mine- the Mail`s!)

The mind boggles at the possibilities.

notinshadow

As long as they don't pick the molly's from the Labour party..

One step on from that.. they better not use the guys from the Labour party as the page seven fella's  ;D

YUK!!

stokoe

Quote from: LookslikeTORYagain on April 28, 2012, 07: PM

As long as they don't pick the molly's from the Labour party..

ffs they would need a double spread.

mk1

Note Mizzzz Yates used her rag to get in another front page  dig at 'social networking sites' tonight.
You have to read very carefully so you can pick up the 'get out of jail card' she used.
She said:
"There are no current  plans to move our newspaper publishing  from daily to weekly, as rumoured."

Nothing to prevent the 'current plans ' from changing is there?

mk1

The current crop of Labour Ladies makes me wish I was in one of  those countries that make females wear a Burka.............

Why not get Mad Dog to do a Sports Section, reporting on stuff like....err......... ping pong contests?

notinshadow

Ping Pong.. ;D

You bad MK1.. to the bone!! ;)

steveL

Quote from: mk1 on April 28, 2012, 08: PM
Note Mizzzz Yates used her rag to get in another front page  dig at 'social networking sites' tonight.
You have to read very carefully so you can pick up the 'get out of jail card' she used.
She said:
"There are no current  plans to move our newspaper publishing  from daily to weekly, as rumoured."

Nothing to prevent the 'current plans ' from changing is there?

I can't help but think that we've reached the point when Ms Yates reads HTH more often than I read the Mail.

The die is cast on this one and whatever Ms Yates says carries little weight.

I don't actually go with the view that newspaper circulation is dropping and there's nothing anyone can do about it. It may be true of the nationals but I think local papers are in a better position. Town based papers have a captured readership and form part of the local landscape. So long as they engage with the public and provide an interesting and informative read their papers will sell.

And there's the rub, I guess.

Ms Yates has turned the Mail into a paper of trivia, bonnie baby competitions and press releases. I'm afraid such things aren't going to engage anyone. 
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Ping Pong ....we have had lots of pong and you know what they say, there is no pong without rotten.
I don't believe it.

Sunken Ships

Quote from: marky on April 28, 2012, 08: AM
I think losing The Mail added to the loss of our Hospital will have the effect of diminishing the town status as a 'stand-alone' town and we'll move a little bit further towards becoming not much more than a suburb of Teesside.

I'm afraid I have seen little from the Mail on the subject of the hospital in recent times when they should have been going all out to campaign against its closure. But given most of the paper has been written in Sunderland for some time, why do we expect a load of Mackems to care whether we have a hospital or not?

As mk1 points out, Joy Yates' comments cannot be trusted and the paper will soon become a weekly edition before disappearing altogether. She has presided over consistent huge losses of readers and remains more concerned with keeping her job in the organisation than producing a decent paper, again what do we expect from someone who has no relationship with the town?

beanzontoast

WHY DONT YOU ALL GET IT, Hartlepool hung a monkey ( alegedly ) we may not know the truth but you are a backwater, and you look to the local Labour controlled council to make your every decisions for you have done this for so long ( in your vote ) they even decide  we buy tesco, or morrissons, ( tea bags ) do you know your council pays a vast fortune, for outside consultants to tell them just that. The Labour controlled council is so entrenched how can anyone in Hartlepool who opposes the closure of the HOSPITAL not lay it firmly at Labours door, of course the Labour candidates dont mention any of this nor the 1.3 Trillion this country is in debt, due to 13 years in government, nor the cost to hospitals, schools etc. due to mass immigration, if you are a taxpayer you need to, well vote.

testing times

mk1

All this talk of 'you' in relation to Hartlepool residents makes me believe we have an ex-pat posting here. Did I miss an earlier clarification on this point?

Inspector Knacker

All my life I've regarded the Mail as the voice of the people of the town, there to point out the failings of local government and keep us aware of those things that  we need to know, not perfect, but what ever is, but it was the locally informed source of information we relied on.
What do we have now ...? an advertising paper with a few semi local titbits of jibber jabber, nothing of any consequence, but then how could it, it's not even a shadow of it's former self, a gatherer of tittle tattle and all the depth of a car park puddle.
Someone mentioned it's reporting of the hospital saga, well how could it, it's in the same position shipping it's 'business' out of town and leaving the veneer of what used to be and talking up less as more.
We actually need a local paper, but a proper paper, a lot of people rely of people rely on this for their news, but if it was your only source of information, you can easily understand how you could be mistaken for believing everything in the garden is lovely.... and there's the problem.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

steveL

My mother used to keep copies of The Mail when significant events took place: the end of the war, the Coronation etc.

Today, I couldn't even guarantee the paper would cover such events on the front page if there was a competing 'bonnie baby' story.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Straight Talking

Quote from: beanzontoast on April 29, 2012, 07: PM
Labour candidates dont mention the 1.3 Trillion this country is in debt, due to 13 years in government, nor the cost to hospitals, schools etc. due to mass immigration, if you are a taxpayer you need to, well vote.

Again a simplification of the facts, the financial problems of the Labour Government began with the Banking Crisis. The decision to try to buy our way out of it with "quantitive easing" was agreed in Parliament by all political colours. What would you have had the Government do, put armed soldiers and police outside banks, to turn away the millions of savers who couldn't withdraw their money.

Have you forgotten the queues at Northern Rock so soon.

Your reference to MASS IMMIGRATION is untrue and used to purposely inflame the situation, it shows that scaremongering is your best weapon, there are still more emigrating from this country than immigrating so unless you are going to stop people leaving this country to set up elsewhere, we have no right to prevent those who wish to move here so long as they do so legally.

Our Universities make big money out of foreign students.