Hartlepool Mail shutting office.

Started by notinshadow, April 27, 2012, 06: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notinshadow

Was that the Hartlepool Mail mentioned on the news for shutting it's office in the town and moving it to Sunderland..

Weekly on way I guess.

Julie noted

That will teach Johnson Press to back the wrong horse.
I bet Harry Blackwood feels vindicated now.
I only wish The Northern Echo would open an office in Hartlepool and put in more Hartlepool news. Now THAT is a local newspaper.

notinshadow

I don't like the Echo and never really have..times are changing with all newspapers so it's no big surprise really. I never caught all the news story so the facts need checking.

codheadless

the mail has slipped a long way since the likes of peter barron and harry blackwood ran it, she just wants bonny babes and wedding competitions, along with fund raising for a new play bus.

notinshadow

Straight Talking

Good riddance - I don't think we'll miss it.

Prefer the Journal meself

The Great Dictator

.....and award ceremonies for Nurses, Police and others who earn over £30,000 a year.

Sunken Ships

Hard to feel sad about this given it is filled with beauty competitions and other junk these days, most of it already written outside the town. A good local paper would be a massive boost for the town, unfortunately The Mail hasn't been that in many years. I've never seen a newspaper with so many spelling mistakes and other errors on its pages.

codheadless

Shields Gazette and Hartlepool Mail papers in job cut plan

Two local newspapers in north-east England could cut 15 jobs, over plans to reorganise their operations.

Some staff from The Shields Gazette and The Hartlepool Mail are set to be relocated to the Northeast Press's Sunderland head office.

Staff were also told on Thursday that six editorial positions and nine sales staff may lose their jobs across the region.

The reorganisation by Johnston Press is due to take place within two months.

Joy Yates, editor of the Hartlepool Mail, said on its website: "There has been a great deal of recent discussion in connection with the Hartlepool Mail.

"We are looking forward to a relaunch of the newspaper later this year."

The way she talks it sounds like a good thing!

The Great Dictator

By xmas we'll see her selling them on the shopping centre ramp or better still the Big Issue !

mk1

It wouild seem the future is bleak for the whole company and the Mail is the least of its problems................

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/business/2012/04/johnson-press-zombie-company

He sees a long-term future for weekly papers, a limited one for dailies and salvation in the form of mobile and online content.

No wonder Mizzzz Yates is worried about the site- she sees her future being taken away from her!

marky

I think losing The Mail added to the loss of our Hospital will have the effect of diminishing the town status as a 'stand-alone' town and we'll move a little bit further towards becoming not much more than a suburb of Teesside.

The Great Dictator

Thats right Marky, all we need is to lose POOLS and we'll be the next SLOUGH !

for fawkes sake

If they really are closing their offices then we shouldn't forget that this will add another empty building to the town centre's collection; not a 'grot spot' - yet - but given that the press room has been up for sale for a while and Job Centre Plus has cleared some of its floors, what is one of the town's newest town centre buildings is now well under-occupied. I suspect some sort of sales office will remain for local ads but then this really could be moved quite easily to a little empty shop somewhere.
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

stokoe

at least we will get rid of the ugly mug labour lot.