Ms James Loses the Plot

Started by marky, April 21, 2012, 10: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marky

Just been reading one of the Labour leaflets which has what looks like Ms James taking the lead in directing policy. It confirms to me that the Labour Group has no interest in taking the town forward and now sees its role as simply administrating the handout of public money (less commission, of course) to the needy.

What Have We Done to Help Local Families, it says?
In Scrutiny and in full Council we have consistently fought for services that support local residents.
Notice the order - Scrutiny first, Council second. Is this woman on a power trip or what?

Access to Face to Face Advice
Financial Advice and Information Services on our estates without having to spend time and money travelling to the town centre.

This is a reference to the recent decision to withdraw funding from the nationally recognised Citizens Advice Bureau after 73 years and redirect it to one of its community groups in a traditionally Labour ward. The service won't be as good or as wide ranging but it will help prop up a community group in a Labour ward at a time of Government cuts.

Local Labour Councillors have fought to secure funding to kick start a furniture and white goods scheme. By providing access to new and second hand hand goods, we believe that families can be encouraged to buy furniture and electrical goods that they can afford without having to turn to high interest providers.
The scheme has the potential to create training and job opportunities within the town with profits being re-invested in the service.

This is the scheme that Labour (and the Tories and Lib-Dems) wrecked the budget for and is aimed at furnishing the houses of Asylum Seekers, Single Mums and 'the needy'. There are already numerous second hand stores in town and emergency loans available to those on benefits. Additionally, Hartlepool Credit Union already provides an excellent service of low interest loans making it unnecessary for anyone to fall into the clutches of the Brighthouse store.

The 'training and job opportunities' refers to some lucky friend or relative about to become the latest paid employee in the 'voluntary sector' and the money will be administered by - well, I think you can work that one out for yourself.

Essentially, if you're in a job and working then they don't want to know and you do rather get the impression that the last thing they want is an announcement that thousands of jobs are coming to the town - if only because it would undermine their core vote. 

Straight Talking

I think a few have lost the plot to be honest.
It isn't just the poor who need help furnishing their homes,
even those who can afford the deposit and the ongoing mortgage payments are struggling.

marky

- which kind of makes you wonder what the idea of demolishing rented accomodation and replacing it with mostly £100,000+ 'affordable' housing is all about.
In a word - money£

brassed off monkey

There are several dynastic "Families" within HBC that have a lucrative income, that directly, or indirectly comes from the council tax payers of the town.

The obvious abuse of the voluntary sector in Hartlepool is something that needs to be addressed, no longer can it be considered to be a service for the worst off in the community, it is all to clear that it has become a business for some elected councillors, who play the voluntary card as a excuse for their dealings.

The term Voluntary Work implies that it is a non salaried job, done on a not for profit basis

Ordinary working people are being abused in the name of "The Voluntary Sector" high council tax, reduced services & reduced facilities are still being paid for by working people who are struggling to maintain their living standards, when will these people get some pay back on the contributions they make every month ?

The Great Dictator

f*c***g parasites the lot of them..

Straight Talking

Quote from: brassed off monkey on April 21, 2012, 01: PM

There are several dynastic "Families" within HBC that have a lucrative income, that directly, or indirectly comes from the council tax payers of the town.

The obvious abuse of the voluntary sector in Hartlepool is something that needs to be addressed, no longer can it be considered to be a service for the worst off in the community, it is all to clear that it has become a business for some elected councillors, who play the voluntary card as a excuse for their dealings.

The term Voluntary Work implies that it is a non salaried job, done on a not for profit basis

Ordinary working people are being abused in the name of "The Voluntary Sector" high council tax, reduced services & reduced facilities are still being paid for by working people who are struggling to maintain their living standards, when will these people get some pay back on the contributions they make every month ?

I think you might have to think about this a bit more. Most of what you are calling the voluntary sector is actually now called the community sector. May seem a slight difference but most "voluntary organisations" have been forced to change to having some paid staff because they raise income via contracts rather than grants. You cant deliver a contracted service with a full compliment of volunteers. If too many of them were to choose to not turn up, you could find yourself in breach of contract and in court.

Those who are expecting to receive the service might also have something to say about it and if they were vulnerable could even be at risk.

not4me

Actually, the 'trendy' name is 'the 3rd Sector.'
You may have a point about contracts but it doesn't really explain why so many of the paid positions are occupied by Councillors or their friends and family or the murky way they find themselves appointed to those paid positions - very often to the exclusion of anyone else.

Straight Talking

Just for completeness I feel that I have to respond again, as my previous posts have disappeared.

I don't see much difference between the "3rd Sector" and any other sector, we all know somebody who knows somebody, have you tried getting a job at any of the larger manufacturing companies that we still have. Try Heerama or Corus - Dads and sons in many cases.

Cant blame Dads for trying to get the lad a start, cant blame lads for taking the chance when given.

If they can do the job - that's what is important.

Straight Talking

I think the example you use is offensive

mk1

I see someone posting replies that  have no purpose other than to tie up the original poster in  answering a never-ending series of requests for further information and thus lose the thrust of the original claim.
Ignore the bait.

Straight Talking

I think you are right MK1 and I will try to ignore him

Vincent

Mk1 for your information the libdems did not vote against the Budget for because of the "white Goods Scam" it was because of the proposal to transfer the ICT contract and the upfront £1million cost to the ratepayers (pink slipped info)

Vincent

I am telling you facts old boy and if you think CAB is so stupid you must live on another planet

Vincent

I understand that Ms James get a nice kickback from Connected Care via Cranys organisation

Straight Talking

Quote from: Vincent on April 26, 2012, 09: PM
Mk1 for your information the libdems did not vote against the Budget for because of the "white Goods Scam" it was because of the proposal to transfer the ICT contract and the upfront £1million cost to the ratepayers (pink slipped info)

So Vince, if the information was on pink papers which are "confidential" to Councillors, does this mean you are a Councillor?
As there are only 2 lib dems on the Council - which one are you, Edna or Arthur?