West View 1 CAB 0

Started by Lucy Lass-Tick, April 17, 2012, 02: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucy Lass-Tick

It appears that an alternative organisation has triumphed over the Citizens Advice Bureau, having won the contract to provide advice services.

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/local/advice-lifeline-facing-the-axe-1-4453435

The manager of the lucky winner is called Val Evens - wonder if this is the same Val Evens who is on the board of the Who Cares (NE) community interest project? http://connectedcare.cc/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=16

notinshadow

Public records show there are only three in the country with that name spelt the way it is.

Lincolnshire, Surrey, Hartlepool.

I don't use the C.A.B. but it seems a sad loss to the town if it goes.

How do you put a price on the know how they have!! how can anyone know if the reduced price West View guys are doing it for, is going to replace the service with a "like for like" service, that our community need in tough times.

Lucy Lass-Tick

The Mail states that the CAB has 12 paid staff with 28 volunteers, but the West View initiative will only have the equivalent of 3 full time people.  Unless there are resources which haven't been mentioned, they would surely struggle to maintain the same level of service that the CAB has offered for so long.

marky

wow...competetive tendering for publicly funded contracts....what a novel idea !

dangerman

CAB walk the walk and talk the talk, an excellent staff that have helped lots of people in the town with debt problems seeing to their needs on a one to one basis.

A crying shame; Joe Mincha should have some Civic recognotion for what he's done maybe Freeman of Hartlepool?.

Labour Strikes again..Roll on May elections!

mk1

How long do we have to wait before the SCABs get around to 'tendering'  for a contract from the Council?

Lord Elpus

The C.A.B. is a respected national organisation that ensures their workers are fully trained and have the support and use of a bank of legal experts at a national level.

I know who I would rather deal with,I hope they can stay open if not many people will travel out of town for that quality advice and representation.

I know Joe Michna very well and his personnel commitment to the CAB is 100%.

I'm amazed they have lost this contract.

The Great Dictator

This is bad news, you can barely get an appointment at the CAB office, how will west view cope ?

Julie noted

CAB; another devious aspect;
CAB deals with people from all walks of life and their issues. White collar, blue collar, West Park, Owton Manor doesn't matter who you are or where you come from...they are there for you and your problem.
Now it is going to a labour managed, labour voting area you can see who is going to feel the benefits of the organisation...labour voters.
I feel so sad for Joe and the lovely girls in CAB.
Please don't waste your vote in May......
we have got to get rid of the myopic, 'we'll look after you if you vote labour' infestation in the kremlin.
Vote for change!

Lord Elpus

Taken from the contract Scrutiny Committee minutes for the 27 02 12 (they can be found here; http://www.hartlepool.gov.uk/meetings/meeting/2385/contract_scrutiny_committee)

Councillor Paul Thompson (In the Chair);
Councillors Trisha Lawton, Carl Richardson, Linda Shields,
Lilian Sutheran and Ray Wells

105 The Provision of Universal Welfare Benefits and
Financial Advice (Ref 621) – (Procurement Manager)

This item contains exempt information under Schedule 12A Local
Government Act 1972 as amended by the Local Government (Access to
Information) (Variation) Order 2006 namely information relating to the
financial or business affairs of any particular person (including the
authority holding that information) – Para 3.

Two tenders had been received in respect of this contract, which were
opened in the presence of the Committee. Details are contained in the
exempt section of the minutes.

Decision

That the opening of the tenders be noted.

In my view Councillors should not be involved in the process of opening tenders.  Drummond suggestion scrapping contract Scrutiny, adjusted by the Scrutiny Coordinating Comm, the Constitution Committee and Full Council to make it a function of the audit committee, knowledge really is power.

dangerman

I think that we are now to see another Labour Empire in the North mirror imaging the one in the South of the town at Owton Manor.

West View will have a Labour controlled resident associations with a Labour Chairperson's jumping for joy over this.

Free money for West View residents; Come on down the Price is Right.

Sadly at C.A.Bs expense.

notinshadow

And of course it's now clear who was responsible for shutting the C.A.B.
I notice nothing on their election leaflets mentioning this.

steveL

It hasn't actually shut but it's future prospects will have certainly taken a hit because of this.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

notinshadow

I think in the long run, when you take 200 grand plus out of any small business things will look bleak.

Yes they can struggle on with the other services until ther plug is pulled at some point but the writting is on the wall is my view.

Just waiting for the reaper to call.

brassed off monkey

Is anyone else wondering just how much difference in the 2 tenders there was, & could that difference justify the possible loss of jobs at CAB ?

Would it be a like for like service, at the moment there is an appointment system & a waiting list, will West View be able to match or better CAB`s performance in all aspects of "public advice & service" ?