Smart Litter Bins at Seaton

Started by jeffh, August 19, 2017, 09: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffh

Evidently one of the features of these bins, and probably one of the selling points, is that when they are full they send out a signal so they can be emptied - that's all well and good, but speaking to one of the Council employees, they don't have the resources to respond to this alarm so they still only get emptied once a day - he also told me that with 3 staff leaving at the end of the year, and not being replaced, so it's going to get worse.
Maybe the council should really pushed the boat out and got self emptying bins that could have transported themselves to Burn Valley, like an armada of Daleks (sorry don't know the correct collective noun) emptied themselves and returned ready for use ;D

steveL

You can buy a decent litter bin for £350.....in fact, if you have £90,000 to spare you can buy 250 of them  :)

https://uk.glasdon.com/litter-bins/outdoor-litter-bins/glasdon-jubilee-tm-110-litter-bin
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Just another chapter in the catalog of Labour failures championed as progress.

£90K could have transformed Seaton library into a great community centre.
Then again we all know the Labour council are spiteful.

All those streets that could have had free council tax instead of working hard to fund another folly.

What shocks me is not another financial farce, it is the lack of opposition.
I don't believe it.

Inspector Knacker

They're novelty bins, expensive novelty bins. If there's no staff to empty them they'll bleep till hell freezes over and still overflow. More technology, more to go wrong.
Apart from one or two exceptions, there is no opposition in any form to this drawn out saga of incompetence.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

fred c

Quote from: Stig of the Seaton Dump on August 19, 2017, 11: AM
Just another chapter in the catalog of Labour failures championed as progress.

£90K could have transformed Seaton library into a great community centre.
Then again we all know the Labour council are spiteful.

All those streets that could have had free council tax instead of working hard to fund another folly.

What shocks me is not another financial farce, it is the lack of opposition.

I don`t think there is any doubt, the residents ofSeaton Carew have been penalised for persistently refusing to vote in a Labour councillor, If only other wards adopted the same idea, an independent council would mean no more petty party politics and no more politically spiteful Bolloxxxx by the present CABCabal.

not4me

smart signal or not, as soon as these bins are spotted full and unemptied there'll be no shortage of people ready to question the cost of the whole half-baked idea. How long will it be before a picture of an overflowing, unemptied bin appears on the Hartlepool Post?

mk1

Quote from: not4me on August 19, 2017, 03: PM
smart signal or not, as soon as these bins are spotted full and unemptied there'll be no shortage of people ready to question the cost of the whole half-baked idea. How long will it be before a picture of an overflowing, unemptied bin appears on the Hartlepool Post?

Filling a bin and then waiting to see how long it takes to get emptied would be an interesting exercise.

DRiddle

I suppose we could try to look at the positives in this. If ever HBC decide to relocate the 'smart bin', they could look into giving in a place on the regeneration services committee.

With Cranney as chair and SAB as vice chair, a bin that KNOWS when something is full of $h*# starts to look very appealing.

Inspector Knacker

I'd imagine replacing not so smart councillors with smart bins would be a master stroke and a lot cheaper.

steveL

Quote from: Riddler5 on August 20, 2017, 05: PM
I'd imagine replacing not so smart councillors with smart bins would be a master stroke and a lot cheaper.

Interesting thought ... councillors that send out a text message to the world whenever they are full of s**t . . . it'll never catch on.  :-\
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

steveL

£90,000 for 15 bins at £6,000 each

Inspector Knacker

So if the bin sends signal when it's full, does someone immediately rush out to empty it? Surely not, because that would mean making several response calls a day and a waste of time and resources when they can all be emptied st the same time more efficiently.
A shiney and expensive novelty.

fred c

Cmonnnnn Riddler...... they give the little toe-rags something to play with....... I hope they are an easily maintained Bin.

steveL

This will all be down to someone at the Civic being harassed by a persistent sales rep from the company supplying the bins. The text messaging system will be seen as a novelty but it won't lead to any operational changes. When these bins have been introduced elsewhere, it's been used as a means of reducing collections and staff.

There is another factor here. The bins at Seaton are full of uneaten fish and chips which will be now be left to rot in the bins for an even longer time. In the summer months, they are going to stink to high heaven and be full of maggots.