Current Councillors

Started by Username, June 28, 2017, 12: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

Quote from: Username on June 28, 2017, 05: PM
I think that's a decent idea Jeff, a one-stop shop for new and existing members alike. I'd like to suggest we include attendance record such as is shown on the council website to go along with committees etc.

Yea, great idea and then you can start a debate on those councillors who work for a living and who are therefore essentially barred from daytime meetings . . . although I suspect your perspective would be slightly different, wouldn't it?

Unfortunately, some of us have been at this for a long time and can spot a plant a mile off. In your case, anyone who spoke in the strained way that you write would either have been sectioned a long time ago or exiled to the planet Vulcan.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

fred c

Persistent Devil.......... but the mild amusement of reading the posts that made whoever it is sound like a t**t has worn off.

steveL

Quote from: Riqueti on June 28, 2017, 02: PM
I can't believe who ever made this video put me in it!

I did have to laugh when I seen it though. Cheeky sods have me down as a headlander!

I agree. I can think of a number of Headlanders who would be greatly offended by that suggestion.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Riqueti

Indeed they would be! While my ancestral roots are firmly planted on the headland I've never myself lived there.

steveL

Quote from: Riqueti on June 28, 2017, 05: PM
Indeed they would be! While my ancestral roots are firmly planted on the headland I've never myself lived there.

I think you'll find that those 'roots' were dug up and burnt on Halloween night.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: Username on June 28, 2017, 05: PM
I think that's a decent idea Jeff, a onestop shop for new and existing members alike. I'd like to suggest we include attendance record such as is shown on the council website to go along with committees etc.
Attendance record? You could send a piglet to every meeting, it would have nothing to offer. Top attendance isn't compatible with anyone working as they have a job to go to. I wonder which party that would favour?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Username

What is the problem with the attendance when you're planning on logging voting, work outside of council business and income etc? Surely it rounds out the picture.

Ah I see, so because I don't type in the same manner the majority of the town speak I'm a t**t? I never have written that way, I find it helps with clarity.

I don't see how it would favour any party if I'm honest. The suggestion was about individual councillors was it not? Personal accountablility and responsibility over party allegiance.

steveL

There is an argument often put forward that as newly elected councillors, such newbies knew that most meetings were held during daytimes and therefore they should not have stood for election in the first place. This view discriminates against working people ever standing as councillor but since last Thursday, there is another, more obvious, counter argument.

Councillors who have previously stood for election also knew very well what the level of councillor allowance was and are, therefore, using the same logic, in no position to complain about it afterwards, lets alone vote for a 31% increase.

ReturntoZenda

I'm not really privy to the cliques, foibles and history of half the things that go on on here.  However, I am pretty sure 'Username' is a t**t trying to prove a point, and I come to that conclusion simply by reading his mealy mouthed bullsh*t musings.  Reminds me of Comrade Hill's feeble condemnation of the 31%.

Username

I'm fine with that. We can all think what we wish to. As for proving a point what would it be? If I have a point to make I make it.

The allowance arguement, I can go with that. It's not really sound as the meeting times can be moved whereas the allowance can't be increased on a whim but yeah ok we'll go with it.

I don't think the meeting times in anyway discriminates against working people Steve. As discussed previously, the allowance is intended to offset, if not cover, the losses incurred when attending meetings. Also, they are all arranged in good time to allow arrangements to be made. Yes there will be some instances where someone can't attend due to sircumstances but that is understood. No one expects 100% attendance.

And to combine both points, an increase in allowance level will further encourage working people to participate.

steveL

Quote from: ReturntoZenda on June 28, 2017, 06: PM
I'm not really privy to the cliques, foibles and history of half the things that go on here.  However, I am pretty sure 'Username' is a t**t trying to prove a point, and I come to that conclusion simply by reading his mealy-mouthed bullsh*t musings.  Reminds me of Comrade Hill's feeble condemnation of the 31%.

It reminds me of the Shawshank Redemption. Every now and then, one of the bilious reprobates from the Town of Hartlepool Politics FB page escapes along the prison sewer pipe to the outside world and immediately signs on to this forum. Eventually, the smell of s**t they have introduced becomes all too obvious at which point they are outed and scurry back along the sewer pipe to report back to their 'I used to be important, you know' leader.

I suppose the telling fact is that while members of the TOHP FB page seem desperate to become members of this forum there is no reciprocal desire evident from the forum's existing members.

steveL

Quotean increase in allowance level will further encourage working people to participate.

Absolute nonsense.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Surely someone who is an A & E doctor (for example) is committed to fixed rota?  No amount of increased allowance could make up for the fact that he couldn't guarantee to get off day duty to attend a committee meeting? An employer can only allow so much leeway, no matter how supportive.

Username

I'm a member of several FB political groups, several motorcycle groups too if you're interested.

Just to be clear here as there seems to be a need for an explicit statement. I have no leader but myself. I do enjoy watching Shawshank though, it's probably one of my most watched films. I have the Stephen King novella too.

Username

Holiday allowance and shift swaps etc could be used to facilitate attendance. I'm not saying they can do so everytime, there will always be circumstances which prevent attendance at some point.

Why is it none sense Steve? If a councillor is just getting by paying bills etc each month and would lose money from work attending a meeting, the slightly higher allowance might make it possible for that person to miss work and attend as opposed to have to work regardless. It's a very real possibility these days. Not everyone has a large bank balance.