sign of the times

Started by not4me, December 29, 2016, 09: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akarjl

The trouble is - and I know a little about this having worked on ships for the last 40 years- that its not simply a case of SOS or shine over sh**e- the steel work is in a deplorable condition. The hull, I would suspect, is paper thin places and the whole vessel will require a LOT of money spending on it. The question is who would pay?...and why? The ferry ran across the Humber so I dont see the connection to the town?

From a vessel inspection point of view, as an approved vessel auditor and Master Mariner I would not allow people on board especially punters walking on board to use the restaurant ect.

The slippy wooden stairs and decks are obvious slip risks and exposed sharp steel and rust is risk to anyone falling against it etc.

What they should do is get rid of the thing- it is a money pit that will never be fully renovated because HBC hasn't got the money or the "vision" to do the job properly

jeffh

Quote from: akarjl on December 29, 2016, 05: PM
The trouble is - and I know a little about this having worked on ships for the last 40 years- that its not simply a case of SOS or shine over sh**e- the steel work is in a deplorable condition. The hull, I would suspect, is paper thin places and the whole vessel will require a LOT of money spending on it. The question is who would pay?...and why? The ferry ran across the Humber so I dont see the connection to the town?

From a vessel inspection point of view, as an approved vessel auditor and Master Mariner I would not allow people on board especially punters walking on board to use the restaurant ect.

The slippy wooden stairs and decks are obvious slip risks and exposed sharp steel and rust is risk to anyone falling against it etc.

What they should do is get rid of the thing- it is a money pit that will never be fully renovated because HBC hasn't got the money or the "vision" to do the job properly
It was built by William Gray & Co, Hartlepool in 1934

akarjl

Quote from: gerek on December 29, 2016, 05: PM
Quote from: akarjl on December 29, 2016, 05: PM

It was built by William Gray & Co, Hartlepool in 1934

OK my bad I stand corrected- however it is a bottomless money pit and needs removing or doing properly. It's not a job for a small team of volunteers or amateurs- it would need a full team and some planning,given the state of the towns finances I think the money it will ended up on the bottom of the dock- maybe a dive training facility?

Inspector Knacker

Might make things a lot easier if the vessel was taken out of the water sand mounted on the moonscape pot holed waste land adjacent to the dock. Kill two birds with one stone.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

akarjl

Actually that would be a good option- allowing people to go underneath the ship etc......but would cost a fortune as blocks and and chocks would have to be manufactured similar to when a vessel enters a dry dock. Reality is it will end up on the bottom of the dock unless something is done sooner rather than later.

beanzontoast

Whatever the cost it will come out of the £600,000 from the Coastal Community Fund bid, this fund is a lottery and if i`m correct there are another 51 applicants, Hartlepool being 52. We will know if successful in March 2017, the sign`s etc were not part of the original Seaton vision, and no guarantee that the £600,000 will be enough to cover the original vision, it`s nothing more than a vanity project.
much better to go with a community led project if money available.
The proposed woodland comes to mind, or the living Christmas tree, or the record breaking Mural.

fred c

So Beanz....... can we look forward to you & your fellow UKIP councillors being more forthright in the council chamber from now on then, maybe putting forward a motion on the whereabouts of the money from the Seetun Crew youth centre sale, or bringing up the condition of the Wingfield Castle & what The LabTor Mob are going to do about it, or calling for the suspension of Lying Ste until the results of the investigation into his sacking has been completed, or calling for the suspension of Craney for abusing members of the public, or maybe calling for an audit of The Jutland Road Community Ub......? ? ?

How about questioning the 6 month suspension of members of the public, whilst councillors are allowed to get away with murder scot free......................or........ 1 last issue your group may like to take up, traditionally the Ceremonial Mayor was chosen on the basis of long & distinguished service to the town........ not as the LabTor Mob have done for the last 5 years, basing their selection on being a yes man member of the Labour party. ? ? ?

A prime candidate for the next Mayor would be Cllr John Lauderdale, a councillor well respected by fellow councillors & his ward residents, he has served Hartlepool well for many years & most importantly he would prove to be a fair minded & impartial council chairman, unlike the 3 most recent office holders.

Just a few things for UKIP councillors to consider in the next 12 months, it would help the party to expand their approach to local politics, standing up for the people of Hartlepool on 'Local Issues' is more likely to attract voters in 2020 than abstaining on local issues.

Just a few thoughts that have flickered through my mind, I have to be honest though, i'm not expecting much interest to be shown in them  ;) ;)

stokoe

We await your answer beanz ?

mk1

I thought about asking Beanz a question but I think he deserves a break. He is the only Kipper to even put in a show here  so should be cut some slack. I think the previous failures of UKIP have been well aired and endlessly repeating previously unanswered queries  is going to get us nowhere.

Land Phil

Speak for yourself MK1 ...I would like beanz to answer and more importantly be vocal at council meetings.

It's money for nothing otherwise.

mk1

Quote from: Land Phil on December 29, 2016, 11: PM
Speak for yourself MK1 ..

I only ever do.

Quote from: Land Phil on December 29, 2016, 11: PMI would like beanz to answer and more importantly be vocal at council meetings.

It's money for nothing otherwise.

I wish you every sucess in your endevour but I think you should prepare for disappointment.

SimonC

What's the point in having it if they are just going to let the remaining 35% of the painted part go to rust?

Nothing has been done, it's an eyesore, potentially dangerous.

Just give it to the lads who pulled Jacksons landing down for scrap.

beanzontoast

I have answered Fredc however it has not been posted, as i have not been on this site for some time there might be a delay in the post, or something, can i thank those who wish to wait for my reply, i am always happy to answer questions which dont escalate to character assasination.
My answers to Fredc covered a lot of ground, long winded really, should it not appear i would again answer his question, money from Seaton Youth centre. It`s my understanding there was some £100.000 or so in a bank account that councillor Thompson has access to, I could be mistaken, if so I humbly apologise. please ask.

beanzontoast

It does look like there is no delay i must have pushed a wrong button, it does happen, I would like to thank MK1 for cutting me as it were some slack, strange times indeed but welcome none the less. I would like to respond in a like manner. I have largely worked in the private sector,worked for a multinational company, had my own business for 10 years in refrigeration, I submitted my own tax returns, and VAT returns, a visit from the tax inspector found i was 2p underpaying the government. i don`t say this to score points. It is more to acknowledge all on this site and their posts, i understand your frustrations and i apologise if you feel i havent spoken enough in the chamber but i soon realised the two of us weren`t enough all the talk in the world wouldn`t crack it ex councillor Brash as good as he was had limited if any success, the answer is in the voting and as long as Labour have more hands in the air and dominate the committees well we will be where we are the answer to the dilema is in the Ballot box.
I have always maintained and still do, I have time and will listen to anyone from any political viewpoint without predudice, UKIP is now in only 23 years a Major political party, we have a manifesto a roadmap if you will, If as you all allude to on this site for change you have only 2 options you can vote for more Torys, or you can vote for more UKIP, or it may be you all really prefer Labour and it`s policies, but don`t like some labour councillors. I can work with anyone and i have been charged with writing UKIP`s local policy manifesto give me your views, and above all come away from those that ridicule individuals for the colour of their trousers and their wedding reception, it dosen`t do justice to those fine mind`s who frequent this site.

beanzontoast

As to my views on the Wingfield Castle, i have none at this time however I am always on the side of community led solutions in other words if UKIP did control HBC we would always ask you to decide, what a concept. It is my understanding when the historic quay was aquired by the royal navy they did not wish to include the Wingfield Castle. It could be another potential Jacksons Landing.