Local Elections

Started by Hubris, January 30, 2016, 09: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mk1

Quote from: testing times on February 02, 2016, 12: PM
All very interesting but if the starting point is UKIP insisting they put a candidate forward in every ward, as has been suggested already on this forum, then the vote will be split from the onset so any discussions would surely be pointless.

Which is why a fuss should be made now.  UKIP can easily settle this by denying it. I think in the end  UKIP will do whatever is considered in the best interests of UKIP and 'Hartlepool' is very low down the list of priorities.

Hopingforbetter

steveL

Not exactly a supportive Tweet but it means nothing unless he's prepared to break ranks in the council chamber.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

fred c

He will still have his head up their collective a***`s... I  wonder if MD will seek revenge ?

DRiddle

There was also a pig running up and down catcote road yesterday . . . An actual proper pig.

I see no comedy value in such a situation whatsoever . . .  ::)

Lord Elpus

Quote from: fred c on February 02, 2016, 05: PM
He will still have his head up their collective a***`s... I  wonder if MD will seek revenge ?

Of course she will, she has shown on so many occasions that she is a nasty, vitriolic, vindictive person.

fred c

Quote from: Lord Elpus on February 02, 2016, 08: PM
Quote from: fred c on February 02, 2016, 05: PM

Of course she will, she has shown on so many occasions that she is a nasty, vitriolic, vindictive person.

LE......Can you top beating about the bush & tell us what you really think  ;) ;) ;)

DRiddle

In a lot of respects I feel sorry for her. I mean pity, genuine pity. I've sat in meetings where council officers have to try very VERY hard not to burst out laughing at some of the things she says.

There are plenty of anecdotes to choose from but my personal favourite was when we were discussing on of the local retail parks (I think it was the 'vision' one).

Council offers were talking finance, marketing, attracting new business etc. They asked councillors for their thoughts and comments.

For whatever reason she started talking about ferrel cats . . . Apparently she'd seen loads of them on the retail park and she said the ferrel cats could put of investors.

I suppose there's a SMALL possibility that's  if the CEO of IKEA was looking to build a new store somewhere, his or her criteria for choosing the location COULD include the following factors;

(1) Transport links
(2) Proximity to others large towns.
(3) Business rates
(4) Average wage of local residents
(5) Cost of land/rent
(6) Competitors/threats
(7) Human resource issues
(8) VAT and corporation tax rates
(9) international import tax rates
(10) Proximity to ferrel cats

You could literally see the council offers trying not to laugh.

Bless her.

steveL

I think Mad Dog makes a valid point but, as usual, she is off target. The number of ferrel cats are in direct proportion to the number of ferrel rats which came with the original docks and can still be frequently seen on a night anywhere on The Marina - including 'the basin' and Promenade where they have a number of thriving colonies in the gaps between the imported Norway rocks.

In days past, the docks management encouraged the cats as a means of keeping the number of rats down. I suspect Mad Dog's wish to get rid of the cats might well be a cunning plan. I can see it now:

'Pied Piper Enterprises' - a new CIC with Kevin Cranney, Tom Sant and Stephen Gidney as its Directors.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

marky

Quote from: steveL on February 02, 2016, 09: PM
I think Mad Dog makes a valid point but, as usual, she is off target. The number of ferrel cats are in direct proportion to the number of ferrel rats which came with the original docks and can still be frequently seen on a night anywhere on The Marina - including 'the basin' and Promenade where they have a number of thriving colonies in the gaps between the imported Norway rocks.

In days past, the docks management encouraged the cats as a means of keeping the number of rats down. I suspect Mad Dog's wish to get rid of the cats might well be a cunning plan. I can see it now:

'Pied Piper Enterprises' - a new CIC with Kevin Cranney, Tom Sant and Stephen Gidney as its Directors.

And Ged Hall doing the accounts I bet. :o

Ghost of Elections Past

"Mad Cyclist"??

Not another mental health slur from Councillor Riddle? Surely not?

Truth be told, I don't think he's been politically active much lately.

DRiddle

Mad meaning angry.

Anyway, getting back to the topic in hand, as I've said, the idea of a coordinated strategy on the local elections very much depends on the willingness of UKIP.

To reiterate, my understanding is UKIP will contest all 11 wards. Whether that's because they genuinely think can win them all, or it's to shore up their position as 'biggest threat to Labour/Iain Wright in 2020', only they can truly answer.

My personal view is UKIP standing in Seaton in particular could be advantageous to Labour. I'd say that's also case in Jesmond.

However, such is the nature of democracy, people will more often than not but their personal ambitions ahead of the greater common good.

Take Labour locally for example. There are many within the current labour group who, if they're honest with themselves, know they should 'walk the floor' and leave Akers-Belcher and the others too it. But they won't. Presumably because their personal political position is more important to them than doing the right thing by the people of the town.

mk1

Quote from: DRiddle on February 03, 2016, 05: PM
the idea of a coordinated strategy on the local elections very much depends on the willingness of UKIP.

To reiterate, my understanding is UKIP will contest all 11 wards. Whether that's because they genuinely think can win them all, or it's to shore up their position as 'biggest threat to Labour/Iain Wright in 2020', only they can truly answer.

The total silence of the UKIP members here about this  says it all. They care only about 'you-rope'. Local matters mean nothing to them.

Hartlepudlion

Re UKIP. Perhaps the answer to seriously damage the present TorLab coalition is to support UKIP? If UKIP is allowed a free hand in, say, Manor, Foggy and Rural West and they won wouldn't it go a long way to showing the Labour Party that they would have to listen to the people if they want to survive?  It would free the true Labourites who could then show the pseudo Communists the door and MD and associates would be ditched.

Surely a price worth paying?

steveL

Quote from: Hartlepudlion on February 03, 2016, 08: PM
Re UKIP. Perhaps the answer to seriously damage the present TorLab coalition is to support UKIP? If UKIP is allowed a free hand in, say, Manor, Foggy and Rural West and they won wouldn't it go a long way to showing the Labour Party that they would have to listen to the people if they want to survive?  It would free the true Labourites who could then show the pseudo Communists the door and MD and associates would be ditched.

Surely a price worth paying?

this is the point where it gets a bit silly.