Local elections

Started by Foggy, April 29, 2015, 10: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRiddle

QuoteManor House has the best candidate of the entire election and people here are ignoring her because someone close to PHF has suggested in the minds of people across the town that UKIP have a bigger chance of knocking Labour out in non-PHF contested wards.

What an absolute load of old pony. Best candidate of the entire election? She can't be that politically aware James. Because if she WAS she'd know she hadn't got a cat in hells chance of winning Manor House on a a Green Party ticket.

A key trait in politics is knowing which battles to try and fight. She's fallen at the first hurdle.

Wrong ward.

Less than 100 votes beckons for her.

lynda

One last thing on this subject, the biggest users of tactics are politicians themselves.To name a few....Discrediting. ..Fear Mongering....LYING.....Passing the blame.....Smear tactics. So don't  blame the electorate  if they do the same. In an ideal world it would be unnecessary.

mk1

I fear we are to blame for the 'lying'. The public just will not accept bad news and unless you pander to your chosen target group then you will never get elected.
No one is ever going to tell you things are bad and sacrifice must be made hence the current biddng war where bribes are offered to various groups that have no relation to reality. Tax is there for a reason and any politician who says he will reduce it knows full well he can not.

Balotelli

Lynda,

I apologise if you have interpreted my previous comment as calling you stupid. It's actually the act of voting for someone you don't believe in that I think is stupid.

If you believe in UKIP then fine. I agree wholeheartedly with the getting rid of Labour sentiment, particularly in your ward. However, if you and others had looked into the candidates when they all announced several months ago you could have used your own influence to push for the person you feel most capable rather than hitching your wagon to who you think is most likely to have a chance.

Tactical voting doesn't sit well with me, it's one of the reasons this country is saddled with two main parties.

I'm also remiss in correcting an earlier misunderstanding around less politically educated people. The fact you are on this website automatically means you're ahead of about 80% of people in your ward.

I apologise for any offence.

James.

lynda

James its fine. Your entitled to your opinion just like everyone else. Believe it or not I mulled over all candidates for ages. Like ive said im doing what I have to do. I want labour to lose seats especially in manor. But like helenoftroy said on another thread, the people up here keep putting them in even though their useless. Don't forget James we've got three of the bas**ar*s up here. And sorry but voting green will not get them out up here

Foggy

Well today's the day folks.  I am praying that we can start getting some of these Labour stooges out.  Given the shenanigans that have gone on this past year (and before), if it doesn't start to happen now then it never will.

I've already been to vote. Fingers crossed that by tomorrow Darren Price is a Foggy Furze Councillor rather than a certain Mr Cranney.

DRiddle

Am hearing on the jungle drums that UKIP are doing really well on Manor House. Really strong postal vote returns and plenty of people (relatively for Manor) heading to the polls to try to get Labour out.

Apparently CAB is up there trying to rally the Labour voters. . . Which is probably the best thing UKIP could ask for.  ;)

crisstw

I'm not too sure we'll get rid of Labour tbh, I hope I'm wrong but reading comments on facebook last night, people are saying that they want to vote because they haven't voted before & that they're going to vote Labour because the Tories are in government....

They seem to think that everything that is wrong with the UK, Hartlepool etc has been caused by the Tories & voting Labour will fix it...

I might run for UKIP & try to enforce a mandatory cull for anyone with an IQ below 100 :P

The Great Dictator

I agree Lynda, who wants to vote for a party run by an Australian with no clue of the economy.

steveL

........wouldn't that be akin to a Kama Karzi policy for UKIP?
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Foggy

Quote from: crisstw on May 07, 2015, 09: AM
I'm not too sure we'll get rid of Labour tbh, I hope I'm wrong but reading comments on facebook last night, people are saying that they want to vote because they haven't voted before & that they're going to vote Labour because the Tories are in government....

They seem to think that everything that is wrong with the UK, Hartlepool etc has been caused by the Tories & voting Labour will fix it...
We won't get rid of Labour completely in the general or local elections but in the locals I would hope that we could make some inroads into their majority.  I am slightly worried about this in a few wards, particularly Fens and Rossmere but, like David said, Manor House is a definite possibility of being taken out of Labour hands.  I'm beginning to think reducing their majority by 2 or 3 would be a good result. Any more than that would be fantastic.

I would hope that most people would understand the difference between the local elections and general election.  However, I had to explain it to a couple of people I work with when they were talking about voting the same in both because that's what they always do i.e. Labour. I think I got my message across but it did make me worry a little how many more people would think like that.

lynda

Alan Barclay in the street a couple of hours ago, didn't look as red faced as usual, in fact I thought he looked quite pale :D I hope to god he loses his seat and as many more of them as possible.This is the best chance we have to do it and start to get this town back. Fingers crossed  otherwise its another five years of the same s**t. Well done and perfect timing to Hartlepool United. A brilliant statement

Johnny Bongo

I've just been working at Norfolk Close, off Oxford street......saw CAB accompanied by a couple of ladies, either posting leaflets or canvassing.  I wish he'd said something to me/ asked if I'm voting for him/ Labour >:(....I would have given him a right mouthful!  If nothing else changes today in Hartlepool, except the SCABs not getting re-elected, then at least that will be one positive result! 

fred c

Just been to St Columbus Church to vote, when i asked if the ladies had been busy one lady said she had been seconded to various locations & various elections in the Marlow Rd areas over several years & passed the comment, it is the busiest she can remember.

If nothing else it means that people may be waking up to the fact that the only way to change things Locally & Nationally is by making the effort to get out & Vote.

Lord Elpus

We will see Hartlepool Labour vote nose dive today. They will still keep control of the Council, but for the SCAB's long term political career ambitions its curtains. 

Its unlikely that he'll be the next leader of the Labour Group, the biggest problem is no one in their right mind wants the Leaders job, its a poison chalice, but only because of the likes of Mad Dog, Richardson and their control freak attitude. 

A plaque on the lot of them.