Elections - The Real Story

Started by danny_boy, May 06, 2012, 12: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danny_boy

Working on the charts on the front page, I just though that I'd throw this one in to give you all something to think about. It made me think; I hope it does you too.

notinshadow

It does make you think.

I also wondered if there should be a dotted line in the middle of the white section to indicate the amount of IndyLabs.

not4me

Tells it all really and the 74% of people who no longer think that it's worth voting at all should have been the story of the night - no one should be celebrating when this is the result of their activities.

notinshadow

I was looking at the graph thinking exactly the same "P" and of course they will too.

5% of that figure along with what they already have would be enough.

10% and Lilley or Allison would want the Mayors job.. ;D

rabbit

The Mail should put that chart on their front page.

testing times

The chart paints a depressing picture of the state of our democracy. Is it true that more people vote in the X Factor? Poor England.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Does anyone else remember when voting was a serious rite of passage?  Events such as English Martyrs School hustings must surely be a great help, but the cynic in me wonders if the answer would be to encourage voting via 090 nos. - would be a nifty source of revenue too!  ;)

not4me

Lucy - you're not Simon Cowell are you?

Lucy Lass-Tick

Damn...I've been rumbled... ;D ;D ;D

beanzontoast

DBOY, Would you think for a moment and if everyone voted, would there be any change apart from bigger segments, but the overall result will be largely the same, I think so, makes you think.

admin

I don't usually get involved in the debates on here but saying as you've asked me the question I'll offer an opinion.

I reckon non-voters can be split into groups:

• Those that would have liked to vote but circumstances e.g. work, family committments etc got in the way.
  • Those who would like to vote but can't get to the poliing station
  • Those that never vote - the ones you see on TV wearing the fact as some sort of medal. (I hate those)
  • Those who could vote but just can't be ar**d.
  • Those who don't feel the need to vote because their side always wins
  • Those who would vote but have convinced themselves that it won't make any difference.
Group 1 isn't going to change while I would say Group 2 is what postal votes are all about. Groups 3 and 4 will never change either.

Group 5 makes Labour very vulnerable and Group 6 is where all the potential is.

So I guess what I'm saying is that, in my view, an increase in turn out would favour the smaller parties disproportionally. Of course, I could be talking bollocks  ;D

D.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

There is the group of people that don't put 2 and 2 together.

The ones that say that the council or government should pay for this and that without realising that means they have to pay the taxes so it can be done.
The same type that thinks all those that are in authority are idiots and of a different race to the masses.

I suppose it doesn't help their image when the likes of Dumbo and MP Wimp are usually pictured painting a fence or eating a pie in a posh suit and tie.

I don't believe it.

dangerman

Interesting isn't it that those who do the most complaining and shouting about the Hospital Closure or the lack of public transport do not vote?

I've spoken to at least seven people this week who all up in arms on the above so asked did you do anything about it No did you vote No have you been to any of the meetings No or the march to save the Hospital No waste of time mate. Nobody listens do they?

When will they ever learn!