Companies Using the Benefits System as a Cash Cow

Started by steveL, April 30, 2012, 09: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

This is something which appears to becoming more and more prevalent.

A one-bedroom bungalow on the Central Estate targetted at pensioners - rent £520 per month - about the same as a 2 bedroom apartment on The Marina.

The Landlord is Anchor Housing which, knowing that many pensioners rely on benefits to pay their rent, appears to be milking the benefits system for all its worth. Tenants pay extra for someone to cut the grass and extra for Anchor to fit a TV aerial.

There are a growing number of companies from Training Companies, Nursing Homes to those providing 'Social Housing' all maximising their revenue by providing services which used to be provided directly by the state. The advantage is that the income is steady and predictable, the demand is guaranteed and no one appears to be pausing long enough to assess whether they are providing a good service or even value for money for the taxpayer. The first sign of this was some of the shady characters who suddenly started opening nursing homes in the 80s but it seems we've moved on since then.

Being involved in the social sector gives these companies a degree of 'Qudos' but it's all fake; their hearts are made of stone and their brains replaced by a profit and loss spreadsheet.

I had my first taste of Anchor's ethics when my own father passed away suddenly. He was a tenant and when I rang to inform Anchor of his passing, I was told that he had to give a month's notice of vacating his flat.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

The Great Dictator

True, housing associations take the disabled as well as the dross of society and the reason is that housing benefits will pay a premium for these people to be looked after........

Straight Talking

Are you some sort of fascist? or does your testosterone just addle your brain.

I hope you never get disabled, maybe we should just leave them out on the mountain
to die and to collectively label council tenants as dross, also shows your inability to think beyond your own private bubble.

notinshadow

Anchor Housing is a fantastic company..whether they are rinsing the system or not I have no idea but a fantastic company all the same.

My mother has been the warden of St Joseph's Court & Kensington Court and missed out on the scheme she wanted on the Headland when it was built, so moved to Darlington to be the warden of Greencroft Court.

When she retired she lived elsewhere and now is back in Greencroft as a resident.

The job she had has changed to a 9-5pm now and the warden is then off duty and you have to pull the cord to go through to some national switchboard.

In the 20 years she worked for them I never once thought "cor this company is having our eye out via the benefit system.

The Great Dictator

ST- i never said anything derogatory about the disabled just the drug and crime dross of society.

Straight Talking

Quote from: testicles on April 30, 2012, 12: PM
True, housing associations take the disabled as well as the dross of society and the reason is that housing benefits will pay a premium for these people to be looked after........

I think you should read what you have written and if you have to trade personal insults in order to win the debate, you have lost.

notinshadow

Hang on..what was your mate doing the other week in the chamber towards Stevel

The Great Dictator

mk1

It must just be coincidence that whenever the Government sets an upper limit for how much it will pay then the prices charges just happen to always be the exact same.

steveL

That's pretty much the point I was making, mk1
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.