tie in with sunderland college

Started by kevplumb, March 28, 2017, 10: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevplumb

A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

steveL

The 6th Form model is outdated, inefficient and wasteful - a nostalgic throw-back to the Grammar Schools.

The £20m spend on the re-modelling of Brinkburn would have been far better spent on extending the remit, buildings and facilities at the College of FE which is centrally located and could have provided Hartlepool with a dedicated Six Form College; the natural next stepping stone for all students from secondary schools in Hartlepool. There's also a lot to be said for symbolically placing education slap bang in the heart of the town.

Brinkburn has struggled financially ever since it opened as a sixth form college as will any school that clings onto the idea that it can properly fund and provide the proper facilities to run its own 6th form. Pooling resources within Hartlepool means better facilities and better teachers; pooling resources with a college in Sunderland makes no sense at all and smacks of financial desperation.

It's about the students; not some mis-guided, nostalgic wish of the parents to keep their old schools alive.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

whiskymincher

Heard talks were ongoing with Hartlepool FE but broke down some months ago. Would have been a much better fit for the town.

Riqueti

Lots of changes a foot with education.

Massive drive towards apprenticeships including the introduction of the apprenticeship levy. Apprenticeship trail blazers will mean even more apprenticeships will be delivered by private training companies and through companies themselves.

Academies are increasingly having to generate their own income. I can see they will be likely to try to retain 16-18 education.

I honestly see many colleges days being numbered. Probably a wise move in my opinion

seaton

This modern day of training apprentices at Colleges for 2 years only benefits the employer.
When I served my apprenticeship I was employed by a company,it was on site training from 16 years old till I was 21 with 1 Day a week at college for the first 2 years paid for by the employer. After that is was a take day off with out pay or night school, ok not ideal. TBH very few if any apprentices actually did either although it didn't stop them from being very good tradesman.
You don't learn nowt sitting in a class room or training room for 2 years, it saves the employers 2 years wages plus there is no job guarantee at the end of the 2 years.
Apprenticeships are for trades not shelf stackers etc.

kevplumb

Quote from: seatonApprenticeships are for trades not shelf stackers etc.

I totally agree they call anything an apprenticeship now

A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

Inspector Knacker

The term 'apprenticeship' is used as some comfort term by people who haven't got a clue what an aprenticeship is.
Mine took four years . One year in the training school and three years on site training. I got one days day release every week for college and the day started at 9 am and ended at 9.30 pm and attendance was classed as a paid day and attendance was compulsory.
Oddly enough, my day in the lecture rooms had more hours than some uni courses now and involved homework.
So pease can some ignoramus in marketing stop calling two months shelf stacking an apprenticeship, it's nothing of the sort, it's very basic training.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Riqueti

Colleges soon won't be offering these types of apprenticeship. It is all going back into the hands of employers. Soon colleges are going to be struggling for their place in the market as they have to compete with academies for 16-19 education and apprenticeships are delivered by employers and private providers.

seaton

Quote from: Riqueti on March 29, 2017, 07: AM
Colleges soon won't be offering these types of apprenticeship. It is all going back into the hands of employers. Soon colleges are going to be struggling for their place in the market as they have to compete with academies for 16-19 education and apprenticeships are delivered by employers and private providers.

Apprenticeships, trade apprentices I mean should be delivered by the employer not colleges and subsidised by the government.
When I was an apprentice the general rule of thumb was every tradesman worked with an apprentice.

Inspector Knacker

True, in practical terms you learnt more on site working with the tradesman, than you ever did in the classroom, but the classroom part is still an essential element.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.