Failing our children

Started by Stig of the Seaton Dump, March 26, 2018, 12: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stig of the Seaton Dump

I don't believe it.

The Great Dictator

More to do with the parents than the kids i'm afraid to say.

Lucy Lass-Tick

How can it be the parents' fault if schools aren't performing?

The Great Dictator

Nothing wrong with the schools, focus on the parents that don't send the kids.

The Great Dictator

These are just government league tables and statistics.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Quote from: The Great Dictator on March 26, 2018, 09: PM

These are just government league tables and statistics.

All league tables are bad for Hartlepool.
It just happens to be the turn of schools this week.

I have a child at secondary school that I do my best to support but I just feel the school treats the students like cash cows and just doesn't care for the majority.

A few elite students get championed but the rest appear to be revenue. 
Any surprise with the academy setup ?
I don't believe it.

Inspector Knacker

More relevant is what awaits pupils on leaving school? The brighter ones generally Ho to Uni and most never return. We have a town whose economy is based on green industries (aka  recycling other people's rubbish, but it sounds good) and service industries,  with part time contracts to make the 'Vision' a reality. A town where a once busy trading estate is touted for housing. The present administration's testament , a vista of executive homes for a population on minimum wage.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

fliffster

Life expectancy has dropped too! Do you think that means they'll let us all retire earlier than southerners? :P

Inspector Knacker

Two countries.
Also the centralisation of services in larger urban areas. Life is run by suits for the benefit of suits and they don't understand how the rest of us live. In their world, a massive all dancing all dinging super hospital an hour away by car is better for us. Logic, even if you have a car, tells you it isn't. If you haven't got a car, forget it, they cut the bus service anyway.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

What is classed as core jobs in Hartlepool is generally a job supported by a significant industry elsewhere.

Coffee shops are seen as secondary employer to keep those in other sectors like finance, IT, civil service etc. happy.
In Hartlepool there is little in terms of these jobs.

Just try and buy some decent clothes in town suitable for a white collar job. No chance.

I think Hartlepool already is what people fear it might become and our leaders at best are complacent in it having happened.

I don't believe it.

brassed off monkey

The limits on their capacity for the improvement of things in town is clear for all to see, they seem to think a Horse & Carrige drive along Seaton Front is a tourist grabber, have any of them ever been along the Front on a warm day with a mild westerly wind blowing of the Dump.

The smell is disgusting at times and as bad, if not worse is the plague of black flies that cover you and everything else that moves along that stretch of promenade.