Labour taxed the poor more and the rich less than the coalition

Started by SRMoore, December 18, 2012, 09: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRMoore

With the dividing lines for the next election seemingly drawn at PMQs, one of Ed's main attack lines is the claim that the Tories are hurting the poor and helping the rich. But do the stats back him up? According to HMRC these are the average income tax rates across the pay scale comparing Labour between 2009-10 and the Coalition for 2012-13:

It is clear that lower earners paid more income tax under Labour than they do under the Coalition, while high earners are paying more now than they did back in 2009-10. This graph shows the relative percentage change in average income tax rates between Labour and the Coalition:

(Courtesy of Guido Fawkes of Order-Order.com)

These figures only show what the Conservatives and most members of this forum have known for a long time. That Labour talk complete bollocks when they say they are on the side of the working class.

Next time Wright, Akers-Belcher, James and co use the 'tax cut for millionairres' line, just remind them that the highest earners will pay more in tax during every single year of this government than they did in any of the years under Labour.

marky

ooo . . . naughty Perseus.
While I appreciate your irritation over the level of your take home pay, it's quite naughty of you to imply that your pension contributions should be put in the same bucket as the tax you pay or the national insurance. The clue is in the word 'pension' and while your own contributions may have risen, this is primarily because the general taxpayer, most of whom don't have anything like such a generous pension to look forward to, was contributing far too much to yours. They still are - so if I was you I'd quietly grin and bear it.   

norfolkngoode

Got to agree with you there...

Labour talk complete bollocks......

Yes they do, always

when they say they are on the side of the working class......

Labour havent been on the side of the working class since Bliar took over as leader of the party, instead they shamelessly chased the votes of the workshy and immigrants
I dont believe any party in this country represents the average working man.
'They don't like it up em'

beanzontoast

There we have it then Perseus does work in the Public sector, this public sector that has a union attached and by definition is hard wired to the Labour party, which is hard wired to ever more public servants ( pen pushers ) Gordon Brown hired 1 million more, mainly to tell those in the private sector they had to pay more for services etc. while they enjoy 6 months off on full pay if sick, exellent pensions, the greatest sickness in this country is from the public sector, while their counterparts in the private sector dont take time off in case they lose their jobs. As an example of this inequality take for instance  a serving police officer living in Northumberland, ( pay attention i might ask questions later ) this police officer was signed off sick on full pay ( what is that today ) by a police doctor for STRESS remember anything with a union is hard wired to the Labour Party so on full pay for illness this officer was on the front page of the Sun newspaper as a linesman in a football match in the Premiere League, needless to say the next day it was a miracle full recovery and back to work. Can you yes you tell me in all honesty represents the Sick man of the world. Perseus I would like to know your sickness record.