John Bercow

Started by Topcat, February 10, 2017, 02: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topcat

Copy of my e-Mail to the Speaker of the Commons.

Sir,
As I understand it the position of speaker of the house demands absolute neutrality from its encumbant. In my opinion your recent outburst against President Trump is totally biased against him, I believe this to be only your personal opinion of the man and as such you had no right to express it in the chamber given the position of your office. I believe that you should either withdraw your remarks immediately or resign your position because you have brought disgrace upon yourself and on the U.K. parliament as a whole.

And the reply from his office

Mr Speaker has asked me to thank you for your email and to respond on his behalf.

Since 1965, the Speaker on behalf of the House of Commons, the Lord Speaker (from 2006, before that it would have been the Lord Chancellor) on behalf of the House of Lords, and the Lord Great Chamberlain on behalf of the Queen, have had joint responsibility for addresses made in Westminster Hall. The Speaker, in response to a Point of Order, explained the situation and set out his concerns on the matter as one of the "key holders" for Westminster Hall.

The Speaker appreciates that others may hold a different view of the matter. However, it is part of his role as Speaker to represent the views and concerns of his Parliamentary colleagues, as he did on this occasion, whilst it is the case that the Speaker must maintain neutrality with respect to legislation before the House, his role as a key holder for Westminster Hall requires a decision to be made. The making of a decision is, by definition, not a neutral act.

Mr Speaker would like to reassure you that the relationship between the United Kingdom and the United States is greatly valued.

Grace Travis | Secretary to the Speaker's Secretary

House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA

I guess that put me in my place ,I only got the secretary of the secretary to reply to me that's how far down the pecking order I am, Still I am grateful to get a reply at all because it does show that someone is reading the e-mails.