Voting classes

Started by mk1, April 08, 2021, 02: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mk1

Gone are the days of middle class  Tory v Labour union man and a recent betting firms comment on the London Mayor Race caught my eye. Though not about Hartlepool the same shifts in party allegiances are at work in the town and it seems the trend first exposed by the Brexit vote continues to consolidate. It is no longer rich v poor but educational standard and age are the biggest factors in how we vote

Labour dominate London nowadays
The explanation runs much deeper than personalities. Since the Johnson era, London has changed politically to profound effect. Brexit transformed the dynamics as UK politics descended into culture wars. New voting blocs were formed based on age, ethnicity and education level.
The upshot nationwide is a Tory majority, as older, whiter, Brexit-backing constituencies abandoned Labour. But in younger, diverse, graduate-rich London, they have become dominant
. Even as Jeremy Corbyn led the party to catastrophic, historic defeat in 2019, Labour won two-thirds of London seats, with 48% of the vote, leading the Tories by 16%. They even gained Putney.
Bailey's brand of conservatism won't fly
London won't revert to the Tories any time soon. Their rhetoric and strategy is not aimed at courting those voter groups. Picking culture war fights, demonising 'woke' culture, associating with hard-right rhetoric and personalities, amounts to electoral suicide in any metropolitan city in 2021. That was not how Boris Johnson won London. Quite the reverse - he constantly stressed liberal credentials.

akarjl2

Quote from: mk1 on April 08, 2021, 02: PM
Gone are the days of middle class  Tory v Labour union man

Correct people have wised up to the lying labour rabble- time to give someone else a chance.
The Morons seemed to have gone but so have the normals.....

mk1

akarjl2

Quote from: mk1 on April 08, 2021, 04: PM

Quote from: akarjl2 on April 08, 2021, 03: PM
give someone else a chance.

but:

Quote from: akarjl2 on December 05, 2019, 08: PM
unfortunately Conservatives have no chance

so vote Prescott 

https://www.facebook.com/TheReformPartyUK/posts/769022643982502

I guess it just shows some of us are not stuck living in the past....

Inspector Knacker

Don't bite. The gross caricatures of profiling voters in the first post are irrelevant bait, a diversion.
A dead end which is best not travelled down.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

mk1

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on April 08, 2021, 06: PM
The gross caricatures of profiling voters

Incorrect.
The results of the survey's done on the Brexit vote clearly showed that age and level of education were the two biggest differences in the camps. Since then the drift has continued and if unchecked we will eventually end up like it is in the USA where politics is completely polarised and imbeciles like Trump is seen as fit to lead a nation.

mk1

A link to the BBC report on the demographics of voters 2017

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38762034

akarjl2

Old news 4 years ago.....

mk1

Makes no difference to the conclusions. It seems that the Conservative base is now mainly the old with a low level of  formal education.
Given that fact it is now obvious why those parties lower down the ladder (UKIP/Brexit party/EDL) have such thugs in their midst

mk1

Follow-up studies confirm the original conclusions

Sunday Times   Sunday March 10 2019

akarjl2

Quote from: mk1 on April 08, 2021, 07: PM
the Conservative base is now mainly the old with a low level of  formal education.

Speak for yourself.......we went to same school, I don't know which path you then followed or care really but  afterwards I spent 12 years obtaining professional qualifications lol.....when given the choice I voted to leave and WILL vote Conservative as a protest vote against the so called working mans party...Labour.

If you bother reading the drivel you quoted:

2 years old article

QuoteScientists now claim......
Results suggest
Leavers tend to be
Appear more reliant on

Bottom line is who gives a rats about Brexit? Old news.

Or the opinions of some scientists two years ago....

Give your head a shake and vote Conservative you know it makes sense. :)

mk1

Quote from: akarjl2 on April 09, 2021, 06: AM

Speak for yourself.......we went to same school, I don't know which path you then followed or care really but  afterwards I spent 12 years obtaining professional qualifications
Isaac Newton spent decades trying to find the philosophers stone. Conan Doyle was hoodwinked by a couple of schoolkids and declared  the Cottingley fairies to be genuine. Also did you ever listen when your teachers explained the concept of 'averages'? Amusing that you fall back on the far-right trope' the war on the  experts' whilst at the same time claiming to be some sort of expert.

There are too many surveys all with the same conclusion for you to able to discredit them.
How about this one:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0176268018301320

ABSTRACT
Previous analyses of the 2016 Brexit referendum used region-level data or small samples based
on polling data. The former might be subject to ecological fallacy and the latter might suffer
from small-sample bias. We use individual-level data on thousands of respondents in Understanding Society, the UK's largest household survey, which includes the EU referendum question. We find that voting Leave is associated with older age, white ethnicity, low educational attainment, infrequent use of smartphones and the internet, receiving benefits, adverse health and low life satisfaction[[/size]/b]. These results coincide with corresponding patterns at the aggregate level of voting areas. We therefore do not find evidence of ecological fallacy. In addition, we show that prediction accuracy is geographically heterogeneous across UK regions, with strongly pro-Leave and strongly pro-Remain areas easier to predict. We also show that among individuals with similar socio-economic characteristics, Labour supporters are more likely to support Remain while Conservative supporters are more likely to support Leave

Whilst you are desperate to deflect from the results and try and make it about Brexit you will not succeed. It is a survey of those who voted Brexit and has nothing to do with Brexit itself.
I urge anyone trying to claim this is not an accurate  depiction of the mindset to search through the old posts here from the UKIP supporters. They were embarrassingly dim and were barely literate. The elected councillors were thick as planks and used to promote idiotic conspiracy theories. The main UKIP man in Hartlepool used to bang on about 'British History' all the time but then wrote to The Mail claiming that Churchill was the man who replaced Chamberlain and then declared war on Germany.

Note to the head scratchers:  Chamberlain declared war on Germany in 1939. Churchill replaced him as PM in 1940

there are lots more of these gems here  from Britsh history lovers:
Quote from: Julie noted on June 18, 2012, 05: PM

The appeasers for this rogue concept remind me of Anthony Eden, waving his bit of paper, declaring 'peace in our time'.

akarjl2

Quote from: mk1 on April 09, 2021, 12: PM
claiming to be some sort of expert.

Nope the implication was the only people who vote Conservative are

Quotemainly the old with a low level of  formal education

Yet again sat on the fence you make generalisations......which are wrong.

I am educated , academically and professionally - and yes I have been described as an "expert" on certain maritime matters.....

and I intend voting for the conservative candidate.

Next...........

mk1

Quote from: akarjl2 on April 09, 2021, 12: PM

Nope the implication was the only people who vote Conservative are

The first post (about London) does not 'imply' anything. It states it in plain English:

New voting blocs were formed based on age, ethnicity and education level.

The upshot nationwide is a Tory majority, as older, whiter, Brexit-backing constituencies abandoned Labour. But in younger, diverse, graduate-rich London, they have become dominant. .................London won't revert to the Tories any time soon. Their rhetoric and strategy is not aimed at courting those voter groups. Picking culture war fights, demonising 'woke' culture, associating with hard-right rhetoric and personalities, amounts to electoral suicide in any metropolitan city in 2021.

The 'Brexit' survey makes no distinction  between Tory or Labour Brexit voters in its conclusions .

akarjl2

and?

Nobody cares...we have had enough.