Candidates Debate.

Started by mk1, May 29, 2017, 07: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucy Lass-Tick

fred c

I agree, Mike Hill got very tetchy with Broughton on several occasions, he also umm'ed and errrrr'ed more than the other 3 put together, Broughton came across as a bit of a smart @rse, he tried too hard to be an experienced politician, when quite clearly he isn't, he's a bit of a  slick willy for me........ Andy Hagon seems like a nice Hartlepool fella, but the Lib Dems aren't a viable national party....... the Tory fella handled himself ok, he didn't get fazed at any point, he does appear to have wider experience of the private sector, a solicitor and if Hartlepool has any hopes of government jobs coming to the town, it would only happen if he was elected as MP

not4me

The Tory gets it for me. He was the only one to be left with a bit of dignity. Broughton is just a gobshite and the Labour bloke was totally out of his depth, a typical lifetime shop steward - thick as s**t.

Lord Elpus

Quote from: steveL on May 30, 2017, 04: PM
Apologies for the stop/start nature of this; they've obviously not yet up to speed with the technology so bare with it. Fascinating to watch Broughton's body language - definitely got a touch of the Mussolini's about him.

https://youtu.be/gxFbFvlhx5Y

He's is a dead ringer for Benito Mussolini, his stance, his jutty out chin.  Il Duce in so many ways, if I was him I'd steer well clear of lamp posts.

steveL

This is who Mike Hill reminds me of .....

https://youtu.be/92ohRJVh418
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

WhatTheHeck

Quote from: craig finton on May 30, 2017, 04: PM
Has anyone seen Philip Broughton campaigning on anything since the election in 2015?

No, but he knocked on my door a few days ago, was not happy when I told him I would not be voting for him, he was miffed when I told him UKIP had pound shop policies and a pound shop logo.

He stomped off stating he was the only person who could beat labour, as the door was closing !
No relation to Whattheheck from the mail !

Foggy

Although it was fairly painful, I have managed to watch it and here are my thoughts:

Mike Hill - appeared very nervous and struggled to articulate under pressure. Appeared to rely heavily on his notes. I didn't disagree with some of the things he had to say but I'm not convinced at all that he is the man for the job.... and I'm trying to be polite there.

Broughton - Usual cocky self. Nothing more to say about him.

Carl Jackson - A bit bland and not particularly dynamic. Says all the right things but didn't really assert himself and was a bit too polite letting others have their say. He might be playing the 'links to the government card' but I highly doubt he will have any influence in reality.

Andy Hagon - Came across best of all I thought. He was articulate and passionate about the town. Two big problems - the party has no chance and banging on about a soft brexit is not going to get him much support here.

Before anyone jumps down my throat... these are purely my thoughts on the debate itself and I am fully aware of the bigger picture.

If I was voting for the person on the basis of what I've just watched it would be Andy.... but as to who I will actually vote for on June 8th...I'm not sure to be honest. I just know who I'm not voting for and this debate hasn't changed my mind about that.  ;)

Inspector Knacker

We're going to end up with an even more useless Labour MP, who unlike Wrighty, appears to be comfy with the clique in the Kremlin lunch club.
UKIP are now the spoiler party, the howling at the moon party with no chance of winning,  a home for the terminally confused. The Conservative should have been a local candidate, but when you look at the local Conservatives, you can see the problem.
The LibDems are the bafflers for me. They appear to have no local presence and if they do they have an exceedingly low profile. Ex local nice boy drafted in for election who disappears into the post election fog. They should have been laying the foundations for this years ago
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

seaton

Quote from: Riddler5 on May 31, 2017, 07: AM
We're going to end up with an even more useless Labour MP, who unlike Wrighty, appears to be comfy with the clique in the Kremlin lunch club.
UKIP are now the spoiler party, the howling at the moon party with no chance of winning,  a home for the terminally confused. The Conservative should have been a local candidate, but when you look at the local Conservatives, you can see the problem.
The LibDems are the bafflers for me. They appear to have no local presence and if they do they have an exceedingly low profile. Ex local nice boy drafted in for election who disappears into the post election fog. They should have been laying the foundations for this years ago

Agree Hill will never make a MP as long as he has a hole in his a***, just a clone of Kremlin Mob, might be ok addressing a Union Meeting but too stand up in Parliament and make a speech I don't think so.

Inspector Knacker

Hill shot himself in the foot from the start with his comment'I believe that Labour has looked after Hartlepool'. I really can't take the bloke seriously.after that. He appears to have slotted in seamlessly with the political 'elite'.

mk1

Tangent:
How long before Wright moves to London and becomes a 'researcher/SPAD' for a Blairite MP?

fred c

Hustings in the Raglan Club on Friday night.......... just as well for Hill it won't be televised, I wonder if Broughton will wave a Red Rag at him again, if he does whoooo errrr mmm

Inspector Knacker

I suspect he has little option, being the MP in this town is like riding on a run away train. You either stay on the platform or settle down for a trip with the daft lads.

Inspector Knacker

On reflection, we've found a perfect match for our glorious local leaders. The perfect storm.