PHF and UKIP

Started by Jim Gillespie, May 09, 2015, 12: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Gillespie

Appauling election results; so where do they go from here?

Any resignations?

DRiddle

I'm surprised you think that Jim. 4,200 votes against the national parties in a general election?

Across just 8 wards.

Averaging 530 votes per ward. That's a great platform to try to take and retake seats next year. Those votes are strong core PHF voters who will come out again for us whether it's a general election year or not.

Labour know that's not the case with thousands of their votes from the GE.

You know this is the case. You're aware of things politically around here.

pensionater

Can't knock yer for trying Riddle,the worrying thing is, with all your back handed deals you nearly gave Hartlepool a UKIP MP.

steveL

I'm not particularly fazed by the local election results. We learnt last year with the Euro elections that the cross-over effect can seriously distort the results of local elections and the effect has proven to be even worse with a General Election at the same time. Last year, this distortion gave us two silent bookends in the council chamber as UKIP won the Euro-elections; this year, as people voted Labour in preference to UKIP, the local Labour group has benefitted.

Next year, PHF as a strictly local group, will come into its own as there are no other elections to distort the vote. In addition, as we approach the referendum, UKIP will become less and less relevant. I expect Farage to stand again in September as UKIP Leader – far too much ego for him to fade away but people won't be impressed by the arrogant way he thinks he can dip in and out. It's not the first time that he's taken a break from the leadership.

This last election will prove to be UKIP's peak; I'm sure that a lot of people have now realised that voting UKIP leads to nowhere, it doesn't lead to seats in parliament and it leads to speechless, bookends in the council chamber.

There are more scandals to come in the next 12 months. The extra 3 seats will secure CAB in his place for the time being and probably lead to the much trailed, constitutional fiddle which will see SAB stay as Ceremonial Mayor. As the move to a Combined Authority progresses, Labour's refusal to allow a referendum will backfire.

There's also a good chance that Cranney will be forced to resign in the next 12 months.

It's going to be an interesting year and, in a straight local Labour/PHF contest, it's almost inevitable that Labour will take a hammering next May.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

DRiddle

UKIP wouldn't 'do deals' with us sir. They went full tilt for a seat and both of us went for the wards. I would have thought that was obviously from the voting patterns. The non-labour vote in Hartlepool is now over twice as big as the Labour vote locally.

We'll keep plugging away and helping to expose corruption and nepotism.

Mr.E

Might I suggest a UNITED front against the LIEbour lot and their CONservative crones, speak to the others that opposed them, and find some common ground. So what you have can be built on!

Make a start now while the ideas and motivation is still there!

Jim Gillespie

I'm already hearing talk of PHF and UKIP working closer together in future.  I think that would be a HUGE mistake for UKIP.  I clearly remember all the anti UKIP slurs coming from within the ranks of PHF; but now they have been humiliated at the polls, they immediately go running to UKIP - PATHETIC.

Truth is, PHF is nothing more than an uneasy collaboration of waifs and strays, with no cohesive strategy or policies.

UKIP are far better than that and the polling last week is a fantastic foundation for them to build on; without anyone hanging onto their shirt tails.

steveL

Jim, you have a habit of simply making things up in the hope that it will take root.

There is no possibility of PHF ever working with UKIP. Things will continue as they are with PHF and Independents providing the only opposition to Labour and with the two clueless UKIP councillors following on behind in their Morris Minors complete with broken sat nav.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Jim Gillespie

Oh is that right Steve.

I suggest you speak to David Riddle pronto, for he tells a different tale.

Kinda proves my point about PHF really.............

steveL

Give it up, Jim. You were put on pre-mod because you were making up stories about Richard Royal in the hope of affecting his vote. Now you're trying to do the same with PHF and Riddle. You know nothing about PHF but I can tell you that most PHF members would throw up even at the thought of working with UKIP.

Foggy

My disappointment at the local election results yesterday has subsided a little and I now realise that I was a little naive to think that the tide could start turning this year.  The number of people in the town who still blindly vote Labour (and UKIP) and have no idea what really goes on is quite frightening. Its frustrating for me so I can't imagine how frustrating it is for true opposition Councillors in the chamber and those other people fighting to get in there to make a difference.

Well done Paul Thompson for being re-elected (and thank god he was).  It shouldn't have been as close as it was but it was just another illustration of people voting for a party without really knowing anything about the passion and commitment that their current Councillor has shown time and time again.

Well done to the other PHF candidates, particularly Darren Price, Jeff Moriarty and Alec Gough who increased the PHF vote in their wards.  I hope that they all give it another shot next year when there is a greater chance of success.

I think the Hart result was the most disappointing as there is no way Beck should have sneaked back in.  I have some friends in Hart who are questioning Keith Fisher's motives for standing as he obviously took a lot of votes from Jeff Moriarty. They support what he is doing to bring our hospital services back but he will never regain their trust after the gyspy site fiasco.

I think it is important that PHF pick their battles next year and field strong candidates in wards they can realistically win. Rural West would be a waste of time and resources, though I'm sure they don't need me to tell them this.

I should point out that I am not a member of PHF, nor do I know any member of PHF personally. I've never even spoken in person to anyone from PHF.  I just support what they and the other Independent Councillors are doing (though I may not always agree with them).  If they didn't question others and make them accountable for their actions and decisions then I don't know who would. We need voices of reason in that chamber when we have some people in positions they don't deserve or have the competence to be in.

On that note, now that PHF/Independents are 3 down, it is important that the ones who are there have more to say.  I would like to hear more from Kelly Atkinson and Steve Gibbon.  John Lauderdale impressed me with what he had to say in the last full council meeting and left me wondering why he doesn't speak up more.

As for the UKIP Councillors, I think it is best they say as little as possible.

Those of you who stood purely to throw a spanner in the works (i.e. associates of or people with the surname Wells, Loynes, Allison, etc)... go and get yourselves a life.  It perplexes me how many people actually vote for them.

I guess that we can hold out hope that the Lab/Cons end up being their own worst enemy.  Any group of people that have such spectacularly incompetent and immoral people among its members cannot be successful in the long term, especially when they are led by Calamity Chris.  There surely has to be some consequences from the MRA scandal and Wilcox trial so the coming months will be interesting.

marky

UKIP are yesterday's story. 'A busted flush' is the way that it's been described on here and that description is spot on. It's only function now is to act as a convenient rubbish bin in which to keep all the racists and bigots.

DRiddle

PHF are a party all allowed to have their own views. My personal view is widely known. I favour going for certain wards which I think are winnable, and leave whichever other parties want to target other wards to them.

If that means leaving wards to UKIP then so be it. I don't like UKIP (also widely known and not a secret) but I see no logic in throwing our modest resources at wards I don't think we can win.

However, others in PHF think differently and think we should target all wards.

I'm totally comfortable with the fact our members express different opinions. That's healthy and very appropriate for any party or political group.

My thoughts are my thoughts. Our group votes democratically on key decisions and we press on from there.

There's plenty of time to decide on our approach to next May.

steveL

Foggy - canvassing in Headland and Harbour (and other wards too, I suspect), you would be amazed just how few people have any knowledge of Wilcox or the Manor Residents scandal let alone any of the other dubious activities highlighted on this site. I'm afraid that people who take an interest in such things are very few in number; something that people who read The Post or contribute to the Forum or Mail comments don't appreciate.

The Post will be starting a publicity campaign soon to take us above the visitor numbers of The Mail website so let's hope that makes a difference.

steveL

"Why on earth has the Mail given this guy ANY space to bump his gums in the local newspaper?
He is clearly a liar who has been caught out fair and square and been sacked for gross misconduct.
Stephen - READ MY WORDS.
You are both a disgrace and liability to this town. Resign immediately"

Jim, this a copy of one of your posts from the Mail comments. The only reason you know about the gross misconduct business is because of the work of PHF and this site so why don't you break your face and give credit where it's due?

And while you're doing so, perhaps you could explain why your UKIP friends have contributed nothing to the on going efforts of PHF to rid the town of this abomination.