Teesside Airport

Started by grim reaper, November 14, 2013, 08: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grim reaper

That's right...Tees-side Airport. Where we USED to fly to and from.
Not the bloody silly Durham Tees Valley appellation.  :(

It is a scandal that Peel are applying for permission to build 400 executive houses on part of the airport grounds.
It is time the shareholders put in a vote of no confidence in the management (that includes various councils in our area- like HBC) and refuse to accede to the request.  >:(

Is this what Peel Holdings were after all along, building land?

It is an airport and with better management it could return to the vibrant place it once was.
Take away the ridiculous £6 per person charge to access the place;
reduce the car parking fees;
reduce landing fees;
give inducements for airlines to come back to Tees-side Airport.

I have spoken to many people wishing to use their LOCAL airport again...businessmen and holiday makers.
Why should we have to traipse up to Newcastle, or across to Manchester?

Upon reflection, it is akin to the hospital saga being played out across the UK today.
Say the place is 'unsafe', 'not profitable' and 'not fit for purpose' and sell off the land for housing.
The company shows millions on its bottom line and the directors claim massive bonuses.  :o
What a disgusting world we live in.

seaton

in the early eighties I used to fly to Aberdeen from Teesside,dearest flght in the world, sure it was around £!20 one way.
Last year I flew out of East Midlands, European destination,every Budget Airline had flights from there, the place was packed, where are Teesside going wrong ?

grim reaper

It used to have flights, or connecting flights to all over the world.
In the 80s and 90s I used to use the 'businessman's' early morning flight to London.
The airline was British Midland Airways and the service was superb.
Even though it was a very short flight (circa 45 mins) a hot breakfast was served!  :P

Not too long ago you could fly to Dalaman in Turkey and that was very popular with Teessiders.

No, like our hospital, it has been salami sliced (to quote Mandelson) until it was 'not fit for purpose'.
There really ought to be an investigation into the running of the place.

testing times

The management of Teesside Airport lack both ambition or imagination and show all the signs of aiming low. HBC still has a stake in the airport as do many other local councils - it's about time they started to call for a raising of the bar and if the present management can't do it then we should find someone who can.

Mr Mister

Personally I couldn't care less, I've done a fair bit of holidaying in my time, flown from various airports but not that one..

No loss at all in my view, build the houses, let the council's make a few quid out of it..

I did watch the news item on it, where they had one of the suits saying his bit about other airports are doing the same, tough times blar blar blar..

The Great Dictator

...and the council partly own it.

DRiddle

Economies of scale... pure and simple. Whether people like it or not, there's no commercial sense, in the long term, in having two airports 50 miles apart, in an area with the population density of our region.

We'll continue to see this with hospitals, schools, colleges, universities, care homes, police forces, security services, prisons and basically anything which impacts on the public purse in any way shape or form.

We might not like it, but shy of a revolution it's the way things are heading.