Bowling greens

Started by stokoe, August 07, 2018, 09: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stokoe

Heard a whisper today that the clubs who play bowls on the greens in the town are going to have

To tend them themselves cutting etc.

Grumblstiltskin

How low can we sink before the dross is expelled?

Lord Elpus

No criticism of the Council staff who look after them now, however, they might be in better shape if bowlers formed a cooperative and looked after them.

I remember in the 1960's and 70's the hours that were spent looking after council bowling greens, They were  cherished, like everything the budget has been cut to the bone and it shows.

Inspector Knacker

What's the admin to worker ratios between then and now?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Lord Elpus

:-X
Quote from: Inspector Knacker on August 08, 2018, 08: AM

In 1965 I started my apprenticeship with West Hartlepool Parks and Cemeteries Dept.

Management and admin were;  Ron Grubb, Parks Superintendent,  Alex Oliver, Ass Superintendent, Tony Bond, Technical Officer, Bert and Wilf did all of the admin ordering, burials and cremations, playing fields etc.  Total admin staff 5. Wages were done from the borough finance office in Avenue Road (now called Bevin House).

Around that time West Hartlepool won Britain in Bloom 3 times, we were recognized as the best Parks Dept in the North East.  Most of the people I had the pleasure of working with loved their work and we're well motivated and skilled.

It is so sad to see the decline of our parks and open spaces, Burn Valley has become a wilderness when it used to be one of the most popular parks in Hartlepool.  Its all very sad.

Disgruntled voter

Quote from: Lord Elpus on August 08, 2018, 12: PM

In 1965 I started my apprenticeship with West Hartlepool Parks and Cemeteries Dept.

Management and admin were;  Ron Grubb, Parks Superintendent,  Alex Oliver, Ass Superintendent, Tony Bond, Technical Officer, Bert and Wilf did all of the admin ordering, burials and cremations, playing fields etc.  Total admin staff 5. Wages were done from the borough finance office in Avenue Road (now called Bevin House).

Around that time West Hartlepool won Britain in Bloom 3 times, we were recognized as the best Parks Dept in the North East.  Most of the people I had the pleasure of working with loved their work and we're well motivated and skilled.

It is so sad to see the decline of our parks and open spaces, Burn Valley has become a wilderness when it used to be one of the most popular parks in Hartlepool.  Its all very sad.

Sadly people are know longer motivated by pride for our town...just what they can get from the town !! Right from the bottom to the top ...people discarding waste with no pridea for their area right through to the current councilors stealing vital funds from their constituents to launder in the rifty.

Inspector Knacker

I'd be very interested to see the ration nowadays.
Local government entered it's self importance phase a while back . The Town Clerk became the Chief Executive with salary to match such a grand title and the title and salary fad followed it down the management pyramid. To compensate, the people at the bottom get fewer and fewer and they call it efficiency savings.
More people now tell fewer people how to do a job they can't do themselves.

A bit like watching

Exile

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on August 08, 2018, 05: PM

I'd be very interested to see the ration nowadays.
Local government entered it's self importance phase a while back . The Town Clerk became the Chief Executive with salary to match such a grand title and the title and salary fad followed it down the management pyramid. To compensate, the people at the bottom get fewer and fewer and they call it efficiency savings.
More people now tell fewer people how to do a job they can't do themselves.

A bit like watching

Exile

Quote from: Disgruntled voter on August 08, 2018, 01: PM

Sadly people are know longer motivated by pride for our town...just what they can get from the town !! Right from the bottom to the top ...people discarding waste with no pridea for their area right through to the current councilors stealing vital funds from their constituents to launder in the rifty.

Exile

Exile

Thanks, Lord Ellis

I worked as a student in the summers of 67 and 68, and remember those names.

Lord Elpus

The original Hartlepool Show held in Ward Jackson Park was organised by a group called the Gardeners Guild, I think Alex Dunlop was the Chairman.  A years work went into organising this event and all the Council did was look after the finance from the gate receipts and look after the logistics within the park, seating, etc.

Without doubt a great little show, a guy fro HBC called Bert Sharples, who was our towns first director of leisure services took control and in my opinion it changed dramatically.  Once at Grayfields the beer tent being open all day attracted lots of rowdy behaviour and for many it stopped being a family event.

One of the key things for such events is the right venue, you need either a park or sea front venue, a run down playing field with poor toilets is in my opinion a poor choice.

Typical Bread and Circus's from the SCAB's cabal.

Inspector Knacker