Calamity Chris strikes again ...

Started by admin, February 12, 2018, 01: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Seems that CAB demonstrated his customary flair for public engagement during today's committee meeting regarding proposed council tax increases.

When a member of the public showed the temerity to suggest cumulative increases over a 3 year period to be 14.39%, CAB stated that he wasn't interested in figures, declaring that any further attempts to speak would result in expulsion from the hallowed ground of the Civic Centre.

Did someone buy him a Kim Jong Un annual for Christmas?

Stig of the Seaton Dump

The problem is those six figure salaries that let him get away with it.

All that money appears to selectively block their eyes and ears.
I don't believe it.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: Stig of the Seaton Dump on February 12, 2018, 01: PM
The problem is those six figure salaries that let him get away with it.

All that money appears to selectively block their eyes and ears.

There are none so blind as will not see ...

mk1

Quote from: Lucy Lass-Tick on February 12, 2018, 01: PM

There are none so blind as will not see ...

He can always blame his Botox damaged eyes as the reason for his myopia.

fred c

Whooo Errrrr The gentleman concerned (not me) is an extremely pleasant and engaging chap, his behaviour was impeccable, he merely attempted to point out that 3 years of 4.9% increases had left more people in financial difficulty.

He stated that the exact figure in his case was 14.39% and said to the chairman I have the figures you can check them yourself......

His reply was...... "If you interupt the meeting again, you will be asked to leave"

At that he wpould be leaving the meeting, put his coat on stated his objection and asked for it to be recorded....... he is a friend of mine so I also said that I was leaving and passed the comment " You need to learn some man management skills, this is disgraceful once again" ... we both made our exit.

C Akers Belcher has often been quoted as saying that the best way for members of the public to engage with councillors is by the Committee System, in fact they changed the constitution to make that happen by abandoning verbal questions at full council meetings.

There wasn't a raised voice from either of us, but I fully expect another Ban, there is something seriously wrong with this Labour council, there is no means of scrutinising how they operate and the decisions they make.

Inspector Knacker

It's only a matter of time surely before a 60 foot gold statue of the 'Great Navigator' is erected outside the Covic by pubic subscription?
An uncanny ability to strut sitting down.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

norfolkngoode

Quote from: fred c on February 12, 2018, 02: PM
Whooo Errrrr The gentleman concerned (not me) is an extremely pleasant and engaging chap, his behaviour was impeccable, he merely attempted to point out that 3 years of 4.9% increases had left more people in financial difficulty.

He stated that the exact figure in his case was 14.39% and said to the chairman I have the figures you can check them yourself......

His reply was...... "If you interupt the meeting again, you will be asked to leave"

At that he wpould be leaving the meeting, put his coat on stated his objection and asked for it to be recorded....... he is a friend of mine so I also said that I was leaving and passed the comment " You need to learn some man management skills, this is disgraceful once again" ... we both made our exit.

C Akers Belcher has often been quoted as saying that the best way for members of the public to engage with councillors is by the Committee System, in fact they changed the constitution to make that happen by abandoning verbal questions at full council meetings.

There wasn't a raised voice from either of us, but I fully expect another Ban, there is something seriously wrong with this Labour council, there is no means of scrutinising how they operate and the decisions they make.

It may be just me, but, out of all the self serving shenanigans this so called council is involved in, I find the fact that they refuse to answer any question, and consider themselves not answerable to the electorate, to be the most shocking and sinister......
Worse still is answering questions with threats...... They've obviously got plenty to hide!
Who votes for them? They're an absolute disgrace.

'They don't like it up em'

jeffh

Quote from: norfolkngoode on February 13, 2018, 01: PM
Quote from: fred c on February 12, 2018, 02: PM

It may be just me, but, out of all the self serving shenanigans this so called council is involved in, I find the fact that they refuse to answer any question, and consider themselves not answerable to the electorate, to be the most shocking and sinister......
Worse still is answering questions with threats...... They've obviously got plenty to hide!
Who votes for them? They're an absolute disgrace.

Let's not forget that the justification of stopping the public asking questions at Full Council Meetings (not the presubmitted ones) was because questions are handled at Committee level - need to watch the Constitution Committee

Lucy Lass-Tick

The Constitution Committee is probably meeting as we speak ...  ;)

Seriously, though - wasn't it observed that HBC had an unusually large number of changes to the constitution?

jeffh

Quote from: Lucy Lass-Tick on February 13, 2018, 02: PM
The Constitution Committee is probably meeting as we speak ...  ;)

Seriously, though - wasn't it observed that HBC had an unusually large number of changes to the constitution?

In very a penny - in for a pound!!

Disgruntled voter

It's an absolute disgrace the way these fools speak to members of the public. I am seriously considering starting a go fund me page for funding to cover the hire of two billboards. Each billboard would be decorated with a huge poster showing the shower of s**t and anot itemised list of c**k-ups right down to the last penny!

Disgruntled voter

Has anybody officially  complained to the council regarding council tax hikes and the mobs spendthrift ways ?if you have received a response which you are not happy with , you can raise the complaint with the local government ombudsman

Devils advocate

Quote from: Disgruntled voter on February 13, 2018, 07: PM
It's an absolute disgrace the way these fools speak to members of the public. I am seriously considering starting a go fund me page for funding to cover the hire of two billboards. Each billboard would be decorated with a huge poster showing the shower of s**t and anot itemised list of c**k-ups right down to the last penny!

Where do i send my donation!

fred c

Quote from: Disgruntled voter on February 13, 2018, 08: PM
Has anybody officially  complained to the council regarding council tax hikes and the mobs spendthrift ways ?if you have received a response which you are not happy with , you can raise the complaint with the local government ombudsman

You have to take into consideration that this council is incapable of accepting any criticism of any sort, 4 or 5 years ago a Peer Review Group made up of senior officers from several different councils compiled an in depth report on how the council operates.

They had very good things to say about certain aspects of the councils operation, but they did offer some criticism of other aspects of how they operate...... ie. When appointing a new CEO they should consider recruiting from outside of the authorities employees....... however, for many of us the damming comments were the lack of Openness,Transparency and Accountability.

There have been numerous occasions since that Peer Review report was issued were the lack of the above qualities have been sadly lacking.....there are councillors who's only knowledge of Nolan.... are the Singing Irish Sisters.

There have been loads of complaints on all sorts of matters over the years and to be perfectly frank, it's got to the point, that there is No Point  :-\

1) Selflessness Holders of public office should act solely in terms of the public interest. They should not do so in order to gain financial or other benefits for themselves, their family or their friends.

2) Integrity Holders of public office should not place themselves under any financial or other obligation to outside individuals or organisations that might seek to influence them in the performance of their official duties.

3) Objectivity In carrying out public business, including making public appointments, awarding contracts, or recommending individuals for rewards and benefits, holders of public office should make choices on merit.

4) Accountability Holders of public office are accountable for their decisions and actions to the public and must submit themselves to whatever scrutiny is appropriate to their office.

5) Openness Holders of public office should be as open as possible about all the decisions and actions that they take. They should give reasons for their decisions and restrict information only when the wider public interest clearly demands it.

6) Honesty Holders of public office have a duty to declare any private interests relating to their public duties and to take steps to resolve any conflicts arising in a way that protects the public interest.

7) Leadership Holders of public office should promote and support these principles by leadership and example.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Nobody's giving up though - if one channel of action doesn't work we must use alternatives.