Rift House and the Mayor's 'Charities'

Started by steveL, July 22, 2017, 01: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred c

The exchange of emails on the subject with the Borough Solicitor, read from the bottom up for it to be in chronological orde....... Beck has obviously taken no notice whatsoever of Peter Devlins advice on the matter.

I have discussed with Gill Alexander and Chris Little and it was felt that where a cause was not so registered as a charity with the Commission, then it should evidence a general charitable intention in its themes ie., alleviation of poverty, advancing education etc., Certainly it appears the Rifty Youth Project is well attended and provides a facility that would otherwise not be there.

In addition I have e-mail Cllr Beck and mentioned the above thoughts and for him to be conscious that his nominated charities and good causes fulfil the expectation that members of the public have in such causes.

Regards,

Peter Devlin | Chief Solicitor and Monitoring Officer

Hartlepool Borough Council

Tel: (01429) 523003 / 2

Email: peter.devlin@hartlepool.gov.uk

Web: hartlepool.gov.uk

Facebook: facebook.com/hartlepoolcouncil 

Twitter: twitter.com/HpoolCouncil  

Sent: 14 July 2017 16:29
To: Peter Devlin
Subject: RE: Mayors Charities

Hi Peter

Once again, thanks for the prompt reply on this, as I mentioned previously, I am of the firm opinion that by stating the Rifty Project is one of his 'charity' choices Cllr Beck is being less than honest with any possible donors who may wish to contribute to the Mayoral charity appeal.

Cllr Beck could of course resolve my queries simply be stating publicly, that his Mayoral 'Charity' is, MacMillan Cancer Support and his 'Good Cause' is The Rifty Youth Project
Councillors often collaborate with fellow councillors on projects via their ward budgets, if Cllr Beck is so keen on helping with the finances of the Rifty Project, he should in my opinion make a contribution from his ward budget and use his Mayoral 'Charity' for genuine charitable organisations.

Thank again for your time.

On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 at 11:32, Peter Devlin

<Peter.Devlin@hartlepool.gov.uk> wrote:

I've asked for details of what charities have featured during a mayoral year over the last five years, to get an overall picture.

It seems  we leave the determination of charities to each individual Mayor to decide upon and merely provide details of such causes once we have received the indication of what charities they wish to support.

I'll have a word with Chris Little on his return to the office on Monday to ensure he is appraised of concerns raised.     

Regards,

Tel: (01429) 523003 / 2

Web: hartlepool.gov.uk

Sent: 13 July 2017 21:11
Subject: RE: Mayors Charities

Hi Peter

Thanks for the prompt reply, I would appreciate it if you would make further inquiries into the situation, with that in mind, I have raised several points below that I believe are worthy of your consideration.

If the Rifty Project isn't actually a 'charity' I believe it to be disingenuous of Cllr Beck to use the term 'charity'.

Whilst perusing the council website for information about the Rifty Project, I was surprised to say the least when I realised that the facility is only open on a Tuesday and Friday evening from 17.00 to 19.00, with that in mind I have to seriously question the decision by Cllr Beck to nominate the Rifty Project as a 'charity' or to be perfectly honest, even a 'good cause'.

There are dozens of charity organisations and good causes worthy of consideration as recipients of the Mayors Charity fund in Hartlepool, and I believe that the greater number of people who benefit from such donations the better, with that in mind, how many 7 to 18 year olds use the Rifty Project on a regular basis.

A further consideration that I think should be brought into consideration about Cllr Becks choice is the fact the he and Cllr S Akers Belcher are known to be former trustees of MRA, that connection could possibly raise accusations of nepotism in the distribution of the Mayors charity donations, which in turn could reflect on the Mayoral charity scheme in the future.

Regards

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 at 17:34, Peter Devlin

<Peter.Devlin@hartlepool.gov.uk> wrote

Thank you for your e-mail.

Obviously we leave it to the individual Ceremonial Mayor to nominate what 'charities' (good causes) they wish to support.

I can inform Cllr Beck of your concerns, if necessary, maintaining your anonymity and/or pursue some further inquiries.

Let me know how you wish to proceed.

Tel: (01429) 523003 / 2

Sent: 13 July 2017 14:28
Subject: Mayors Charities

I am aware of the fact that Cllr P Beck the Ceremonial Mayor has stated that his chosen charities for his year in office will be MacMillan Cancer Support and The Rifty Youth Project.

MacMillan Cancer Support is obviously a well known national charity, however, I have contacted the Charity Commission regarding the charitable status of The Rifty Youth Project, I was informed by them, that they have no records of The Rifty Youth Project being registered with the Commission.

Given that information, I have to query how the Ceremonial Mayor can justify adopting as one of his chosen charities an organisation that is not registered as a charity.

The situation could arise that members of the public make charitable donations, and at a later date become aware that the donor organisation was not if fact a charity, to put it in simple terms, is The Rifty Project actually a charity or is it not a charity, if it isn't a charity, should Cllr Beck have nominated it as one of his 'charity' choices.

Inspector Knacker

Surely the Mayor's charity should mean a charity that provides a service covering the whole town, not a fiefdom on the edge of town.
In the absence of charity status, who defines and regulates a 'general charitable intention' ?
How long before this leads to no charity's at all being nominated and pet projects with 'general charitable intention' becoming the norm for handouts?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

mk1

Quote from: fred c on August 17, 2017, 12: PM
An article in the on-line Mail earlier this morning had the Mayor P Beck pictured after a charity collection in Tesco's.....for whatever reason it no longer appears,

Still there and you can comment-not sure that bit will continue!

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/hartlepool-mayor-praises-town-s-generosity-after-fundraiser-in-supermarket-1-8705856

Perhaps SAB has a 'Celeberity Chef' as a volunteer?

'Coun Beck, who represents the Hart Ward, was inaugurated in May before an audience including the Lord Lieutenant of County Durham Sue Snowdon, civic dignatries and invited guests. He spent 16 years in the Army and is a former personal chef to the Duke and Duchess of Marlborough'

Is that (stainless steel) kitchen equipment in the background?

jeffh

Interesting to see Fred's email exchange - I am currently in contact with Paul Beck - as with Fred read from the bottom up

Hi Paul,

I am sure that the Rifty Youth Project is run with charitable aims but it does not enjoy the protection of a registered charity in that it has no Trustees.

I feel that people and organisations that donate to charities would like to see the protection a registered charity would afford.  We only have to look at what happened at the MRA to see the potential problems and that was with Trustees.

I feel it would be more honest to say that you, as Ceremonial Mayor, support one charity in the Macmillan Trust and also support the Rifty Youth Project which is an organisation that helps young people etc.

I do take issue with your statement We feed children in holiday times who would probably not get a hot meal at home as I thought that money was coming from the Filling the Gap scheme.

Kind regards

Jeff Hall

From: Paul Beck Councillor [mailto:Paul.Beck@hartlepool.gov.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 17:25
To: Peter Devlin <Peter.Devlin@hartlepool.gov.uk>; Leader <Leader@hartlepool.gov.uk>; 'sterech@hotmail.com' <sterech@hotmail.com>
Cc: Gill Alexander <Gill.Alexander@hartlepool.gov.uk>; 'jeffhall3452@sky.com' <jeffhall3452@sky.com>
Subject: FW: Supported Charities

Hi Peter and Gill/Christopher/ Stephen
The Rifty Youth Project is an organisation which is run solely by volunteers with charitable aims We feed children in holiday times who would probably not get a hot meal at home.  We  offer art and craft , sporting activities free of charge. Every single penny that I raise goes to this well run organisation, keeping our young children off the streets 2 nights a week  safe from harm, and we have a summer club in holiday times. I have supported the Rifty Youth Project  for 7 years and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.   

Kind Regards Paul

Sent: 16 August 2017 13:21
To: Paul Beck Councillor
Cc: Peter Devlin; Gill Alexander
Subject: Supported Charities

Good Afternoon Paul,

I note that your supported charities are Macmillan Cancer Support (261017) and The Rifty Youth Project.

As I am unable to confirm that The Rifty Youth Project is registered with the Charities Commission, could you please confirm that The Rifty Youth Project is in fact is a registered charity and provided it's registration number

Many thanks

Jeff Hall

Lucy Lass-Tick

This could turn into a bit of a saga, methinks ...

Johnny Bongo

Quote from: Lucy Lass-Tick on August 17, 2017, 04: PM
This could turn into a bit of a saga, methinks ...

....or as Papa Laz says (in The League of Gentlemen)...''It's all a saga now!''

'Hi Peter and Gill/Christopher/ Stephen
The Rifty Youth Project is an organisation which is run solely by volunteers with charitable aims We feed children in holiday times who would probably not get a hot meal at home.  We  offer art and craft , sporting activities free of charge. Every single penny that I raise goes to this well run organisation, keeping our young children off the streets 2 nights a week  safe from harm, and we have a summer club in holiday times. I have supported the Rifty Youth Project  for 7 years and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.'   

Kind Regards Paul

Note the use of words...'with charitable aims'.  He obviously refuses to state in words that it is NOT a charity. Plus, for those of you that are not aware, if an 'organisation' is solely run by volunteers, the 'local authority', in this case HBC, are NOT legally obliged (for want of a better word!) to inspect it for health and safety PLUS DBS checks!  Make what you will of that...but I have it in writing from HBC!  Also, note the second highlighted phrase from Mr Beck... 'Every single penny that I raise goes to this well run organisation'.  Really....so how much did The Macmillan trust receive from the Mayors Fund?  £0000????  The devil's in the detail, as they say! 

Inspector Knacker

So he's supported the Rifty Youth Project for seven years and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
Why isn't he supporting such a project for kids in his own ward?
Why so keen to look after the welfare of kids in a ward he doesn't represent.

jeffh

Quote from: Riddler5 on August 18, 2017, 07: AM
So he's supported the Rifty Youth Project for seven years and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
Why isn't he supporting such a project for kids in his own ward?
Why so keen to look after the welfare of kids in a ward he doesn't represent.
Probably because he is supporting the community where he lives as opposed to the community he represents - I'm quite sure the people of Hart don't mind him donating part of THEIR Ward Budget to the Rifty House Youth Project - obviously they have no need for this money

Inspector Knacker

Is the Rifty set  to become a shrine?
It's like some quasi religious cult where followers make a pilgrimage to offer gifts of thanksgiving to the Sun Gods

craig finton

https://www.hartlepool.gov.uk/news/article/932/don_t_miss_fantastic_day_of_free_family_fun

https://www.hartlepool.gov.uk/news/article/907/promoting_unity_with_community_event

I notice Paul Beck isn't supporting the second event at St Hilds even though that's where a lot of the kids in his own ward attend school

fred c

No mention of 'Freebie Burgers and Hotdogs' on the leaflet....... maybe they are keeping that little treat for the 'underprivileged' quiet.

I live on Rift House and i don't see the level of deprivation that Lying Ste and The Big Fibber would have us all believe exists on the estate....... having said that.... compared to Mr and Mr Akers Belcher most of us could be classed as underprivileged.

marky

hang on a minute. One of the sponsors of the Rifty event is the Rifty Project - and the Rifty Project is one of the two beneficiaries of the Mayor's 'charity' raising efforts. Therefore the Mayor is raising money to subsidise the Rifty Event which just happens to be in the Leaders ward.

So if you contribute to the Mayor's fund raising you are actually contributing to the Leader's vote grabbing efforts in his ward.

jeffh

Quote from: marky on August 18, 2017, 11: AM
hang on a minute. One of the sponsors of the Rifty event is the Rifty Project - and the Rifty Project is one of the two beneficiaries of the Mayor's 'charity' raising efforts. Therefore the Mayor is raising money to subsidise the Rifty Event which just happens to be in the Leaders ward.

So if you contribute to the Mayor's fund raising you are actually contributing to the Leader's vote grabbing efforts in his ward.

...and don't forget about any funds they receive from Filling the Gap - £43000 to be divvied out by Christopher Akers Belcher, Kevin Cranney and Alan Clarke.

jeffh

Quote from: fred c on August 18, 2017, 11: AM
No mention of 'Freebie Burgers and Hotdogs' on the leaflet....... maybe they are keeping that little treat for the 'underprivileged' quiet.

I live on Rift House and i don't see the level of deprivation that Lying Ste and The Big Fibber would have us all believe exists on the estate....... having said that.... compared to Mr and Mr Akers Belcher most of us could be classed as underprivileged.

Wonder which catering company is providing the food?

marky

I wonder what happened to the catering equipment from the Inspirations Cafe - funny how Stephen got the urge to become 'self-employed' in the catering business soon after it closed. Free equipment and rent and rate free premises within a council building?