Full Council Meeting Thursday, 26th February

Started by admin, February 22, 2015, 11: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Elpus

The Comrades often spout off about their desire to see more members of the public engage in the democratic process.   It was clearly demonstrated during this meeting that's a load of '9 carat gold', 'fur line', 'sugar coated', 'right Royal', unadulterated bollocks.  The Labour/Tory coalition have made a mockery of the idea of public consultation on the Combined Authority issue.  We could have had two referendums for the price of one, what are they afraid of?

The Hartlepool Post, previously High Tax Hartlepool web site should receive a civic award for encouraging public participation and informing the public of what really goes on in the Kremlin and posting such recordings.  Its a great shame I can't say the same for the 'Mail' on this issue.

It is sad that decent Labour Members are being tarred with the same bush as the SCAB's, Mad Dog and Richardson, however, they choose to tow the party line.

Foggy

I am curious about who the decent members are as it's difficult to get an idea of what people are like when they say nothing in meetings. Some even struggle with 'for' and 'against'. I got the impression on Thursday that Jim Ainslie might be on the decent list but I'm sure someone will correct me if I misread the situation.

TSteels

You know there are decent people in the Labour Group, just none with backbones. I remember Peter Jackson after the cabinet sackings remarking, in reference to the Labour Group, that he was never going to let it happen again. The 'it' in question was being bullied by the group into not voting with your conscience. But he does it once a council meeting!! He told Paul Thompson, minutes after voting with the Labour Group to reject some proposal Paul had put forward, that 'it was a good idea and we should have supported it'. It's crazy!

Chris Simmons actively disliked the council leader, coining the 'jumped up benefits clerk line', but then supports him at every turn.

Robbie Payne has been deselected by them, yet can't summon the courage to vote the way he thinks.

And on and on and on it goes

The irony is that the likes of Carl privately attacked Iain Wright for slavishly voting with the Government when he was a minister and lauded independently minded MPs who were prepared to vote against the leadership. Yet locally they think it the greatest crime imaginable to do the same thing. And Carl is the worst - one day a book will be written about all his actions, attitudes and utterings. I had to laugh when he mentioned 'never having attacked other councillors' - I remember the nicknames he has had to refer to his colleagues over the years - unprintable, for now. Although I understand some residents have a nickname for him - 'the useless one'.

So there are good people, people who I truly believe want to do there best, but they need to remember that for most of them the politicians they respect the most are the rebels. They just need to learn from their heroes.

steveL

There's a hell of a lot of truth in all of that
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Lord Elpus

'- one day a book will be written about all his actions, attitudes and utterings'.

Funny I was thinking that would be a good project for the near future.

Inspector Knacker

Surely worth a cartoon strip of their own .
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: Lord Elpus on February 28, 2015, 01: PM
'- one day a book will be written about all his actions, attitudes and utterings'.

Funny I was thinking that would be a good project for the near future.

Is it a follow on from the one about his wisdom and positive achievements? A very slim volume, I believe ...  ::)

gmeasor

http://youtu.be/iHprXm74F5c

The 2 hour monster version of the meeting.

Enjoy. 8)

Foggy

Just a couple of observations after watching one of the videos of the meeting:

Quote from: fred c on February 27, 2015, 01: PM
I`m not sure if was a 1st last night..... But Cllr Loynes broke ranks with Raymondo & voted against him on one issue.
I didn't realise she voted for the referendum at time (must have been distracted by something).  However, just before she voted I noticed there was some chatter between her and RMW.  Read into that what you will.....

Secondly, when dropped in it by the Mayor, I noticed the deputy chief exec used interesting wording "My recollection of the meeting is that as the chairman left the chamber he said that the meeting was adjourned."

Very clever.  He didn't say 'before the chairman left the chamber" so potentially his statement is true.  He just failed to mention the first announcement from SAB, that the meeting was closed, in his 'recollection' of the meeting.

Thanks to the people recording the meetings, there is far less scope for people to 'bend the truth'.

fred c

Quote from: gmeasor on February 28, 2015, 04: PM
http://youtu.be/iHprXm74F5c

The 2 hour monster version of the meeting.

Enjoy. 8)

Was the Camera Position specified by someone from the council or was it the choice of the Cameraman ?

All previous Videos appear to have been taken from the other side of the public area,

All we manage to see of the Mobs reactions to proceedings in this video is the Back of Their Heads............ a bit like the view they give the electorate over virtually every decision they take.

Foggy

There is a different video which is taken from the other angle. It was uploaded by Paul Thompson.

http://youtu.be/PBsg57d-ny4

Lord Elpus

We all owe a debt to the individuals who record Council meetings, however, there is now a very clear case of all Council meetings and Committee meetings to be recorded in house.  I appreciate some would try and edit those recordings, but with the correct rules in place we would see good quality accurate recordings.

Steve Alison suggested this at a full Council years ago, needless to say the Lab/Con mob got in a right pan shight at the very idea and kicked it out.

steveL

I believe that Middlesbrough have thrown the towel in on this and now video their own meetings. They had resisted at first but finally had to admit that they were Pickled.

Given what happened with the minutes last Thursday, I doubt if anyone would be happy to rely on in-house videoing in Hartlepool. They would never be able to resist tinkering with it.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.