The Great Giveaway Continues

Started by steveL, December 17, 2013, 11: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

Hard to believe that HBC is facing a £4m shortfall next year when you consider some of it's actions. Dave Stubb's pay increase seems to be untimely in the circumstances but it's HBC's continuing generosity over the disposal of its assets which most surprises me.

The Morrison Hall was purchased for £60,000 of taxpayer's money and had another £60,000 spent on making it secure. Even so, the council is currently giving it away for free to the developer (Vela) so it can be converted into 8 flats. That's a cool £120,000 of taxpayers money down the tube and onto Vela's balance sheet.

Crown House was also given away to Vela so that they can build student accommodation.

The latest giveaway is the land that HBC owns in Burbank which it is in the process of giving away to another organisation for them to build residential accommodation for the disabled.

The reason for the generosity apparently is that it assists regeneration and while this may be true, its noticeable that the eventual owners are less generous and will be raking in the full value of rents for all of the properties whether the occupants are students, disabled or otherwise.

So now I'm wondering how possible it might be that eventually Jackson's Landing is given away with the similar excuse that it will assist regeneration. At this rate, I wouldn't put it passed them.

We must be close to the point when some future developer with his eye on council land might argue unfair treatment should he be asked to pay full market rate.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

fred c

Ohhhhh Yes..... Developers can`t get Land any cheaper than for "Nowt", but it won`t stop "The Mob" claiming it is a Regeneration Master Plan.....

The old World War I quote of.....

"Lions Led By Donkeys"

Has been "Transmogrified" in Hartlepool to.

"Donkeys Led By Donkeys"