Hartfields Play Area

Started by Donkey Kong, May 03, 2012, 08: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donkey Kong

Quote from: christine blakey on May 02, 2012, 05: PM
Do you want to be involved in:
Current discussions about the Middle Warren (Bishop Cuthbert) Play Park?

Please let us know if you would like to be involved or have your views heard.

What are your views on providing a play area for the kids on Bishop Cuthbert?

And what ward is Bishop Cuthbert in with all of these new wards that they've made up this time around?

christine blakey

Middle Warren Estate encompassing Bishop Cuthbert, Saxonby Park, The Hawthorns and Hartfields Retirement Village has money ring fenced for a play park.

There are issues about where it is to be situated.

You are told it has to go in a certain place, outside the Retirement Village main building but obviously many in Hartfields as they thought a community park was for sitting outside in greenary and peaceful pathways.  However it is actually a great place for kids of all ages.

So it remains in a to do list, whilst we now wait three years and wonder if it is going the same way as Falcon Road?

We have now connected with some residents who want the play park built BUT we want to ensure it is in the best, most accessible place on the estate.  Some money for it was transferred to Grey Fields which I do not have a problem with, we simply want local playing areas for our children. 

We are looking at a project to match fund what we have for youth provision as that is sadly lacking also.  We want to guide young people to a positive area and we hope that a community room can also be considered as we don't have the best of weather do we!

So anyone wanting to be involved is very welcome, just get in touch.

I do agree that the new layout of boundaries has not been well publicised, when here we have an 'all out' election and you are not alone in wondering what the boundaries are.  Hartlepool Mail offered a fab map on one occasion and more of this should have been offered by the Council.  They got the map from the Council so there is no excuse. 

Many people did not realise the changes and this has been echoed around the wards we have visited.  We will be asking the Council to take on this feedback and press the new boundaries further.  It is never too late!

The Great Dictator

There is already a play park near the Saxon pub, why have one near an old peoples complex ?

Donkey Kong

Quote from: testicles on May 03, 2012, 10: AM
There is already a play park near the Saxon pub, why have one near an old peoples complex ?

Because it was in all the plans for the estate that it was going to be built there, including those for the retirement village BEFORE that was built and BEFORE people bought properties there- and it's not quite as close as some people are making out.

Christine, sorry if I'm missing the point, but I don't get from your post whether or not you are for or against the originally planned play area being built where it is / was supposed to be built or whether you are trying to get all of the plans changed?  I also cannot see in your post where you say which ward Bishop Cuthbert is in?

christine blakey

Sorry to confuse, the park is proposed in Hart Ward,

I have researched this so can will not let my own views get in the way.

I am waiting for a reply from the Developers in order to have all the facts.  I am seeking views of others as it is wrong that there are devisions ripping through the Middle Warren Estate when people moved here as it was promised that we would be one big community!

Falcon Road has caused hatred between streets, and the issue of social housing brought on wider views from others who agreed or were offended by the idea that people objected to rented properties.  Stereotypes were rife and people were divided.

The problems are with planning.  In this case, 1997 plans were agreed and let us face it, we did not have a chrystal ball, and so hundreds of people did not know they would be moving here.  Plans have been changed so that Hartfields could be built, then for a part of the play funding to transfer to greyfields for improvement to their football pitch.  I wonder how many houses will then replace the area where football fields were planned.

A school was noted, but then money moved to support the surrounding parks.  A Church or Community Centre was promised but then the land has been either sold off or is still for sale?

I have grandchilren and disability.  I would love the park near me, including at Hartfields as the aim is to access the shop, restaurant and I presume toilets which would also save a fortune.  However, the Retirement Village was sold to residents as an Exclusive Complex of appartments and bungalows. 

The Security within Hartfields would then be seen to look after the park when not in use to prevent vandalism and other anti-social behaviour.  However, this is not going to be achieved when security at the site already misses out on youth hanging around, with a razer blade once stuck in a hand rail 'for fun'.

Therefore we want to look at any other suitable venue but to do this swiftly as if we are going through a falcon fantasy, we should get it built now.  The Planning Department has been firm in saying that the park won't move.  We offered the suggestion of the park money to make the current 'Saxon Park' better and with a path/bridge to it.  They said that could not happen.

Overall, this is yet another area of unrest which we are trying to face head on.  If we can move the park, then we need to find an area, if there is absolutely no way it is going to move, we need this looked at also.

It simply shows another area where planning is the problem and this needs to be ironed out.  Do you live in the area?  Or have views as the aim also is to bring people from outside the estate (on a scale of Ward Jackson Park!) we expect to bring more revenue again to the restaurant.  With this in mind, I just want the views of others on it cheers?

Donkey Kong

Quote from: christine blakey on May 03, 2012, 12: PM
Do you live in the area?  Or have views as the aim also is to bring people from outside the estate (on a scale of Ward Jackson Park!) we expect to bring more revenue again to the restaurant.  With this in mind, I just want the views of others on it cheers?

I live nearer to Bishop Cuthbert which appears to be in a different ward to me than I do to Greatham which is in my "local" ward?!  I live about 2 minutes walk from Ward Jackson park, but my main interest in it is that I have a young son who loves playgrounds and I think that the more of them there are for kids the better and if a good one was built at BC then I'd take him there.  He also likes ice creams so if there was a cafe like at Ward Jackson then I'm sure I'd end up spending some money too!

It is frustrating and annoying to me that there have long been clear plans for a playground at Bishop Cuthbert yet it hasn't been built but instead it is being scuppered by people who don't like the location that was clearly earmarked for it BEFORE the Hartfields development was built. 

christine blakey

My point exactly!

You are a perfect example of what the intentions behind the park are about BUT it is still with planning.  It is appalling.  I wanted to look at the Sainsburys Shops as that is an area which would be brilliant for us.  However, they are currently setting out the land so I expect that is now set for foundations of housing.

I feel for the people in Hartfields.  I can only stress that we need to start recording the comments from sales advisers as they often say what you want to hear and you then live to pay the price twice!

So we cannot blame the residents in Hartfields for objecting to it.  The age range is more towards 80 upwards, than to the 55 starting age.  Many are in ill health so to distress people when they have worked hard and lived through a war or two is immoral.

It is up to us to stand strong and present a viable plan now.  I want this matter resolved right now rather than leaving it until those apposing it are ground down.  I have asked planning to a meeting and they agreed to it.  So anyone wishing to join would be welcome as all views are important.  I am just waiting to hear from the developers. 

I am glad you are interested in this matter and I look forward to seeing you when the meeting is arranged if you can free up time to come.  I will ensure that an update is posted on HTH.