Elected Officials and Changes of Employment

Started by Balotelli, April 24, 2015, 07: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balotelli

In the wake of the Stephen Akers-Belcher sacking, do people feel that councillors and elected officials should be compelled to add detailed reasons for a change of employment to their declaration of interests?

Quite often job applications ask for this information, so it's not unreasonable to expect those in public office to be open and transparent on the subject is it?

Lucy Lass-Tick

Good heavens - half of them struggle with their declarations of interests!  ::)

Balotelli

Yes, this is true.

This whole part of the governance structure requires tightening up and bringing up to the standards of the fit and proper tests required in some parts of the private sector.

turtles_head

Definitely, we need to make sure that our representatives are fit and proper. We need to ensure that people are not leaving jobs before they are sacked or resign instead of being sacked for example.

SAB has made Hartlepool a laughing stock, we certainly need to make sure this situation does not arise again.

It would also be appropriate for members of the council to declare any alias' they use for business reasons too.

Jeff

The problem we have, as I see it, is that too many Labour Councillors and their families are employed by the local authority, Or are employed by companies that are funded by local authority monies.
It is too insidious for funding to be appropriated this way.
We need Councillors that aren't reliant on such funding.
Only then can they be truly impartial and representative of the electorate that they act for.
I  may know buggerall but at least I know it

fred c

Quote from: Jeff on April 26, 2015, 10: PM
The problem we have, as I see it, is that too many Labour Councillors and their families are employed by the local authority, Or are employed by companies that are funded by local authority monies.
It is too insidious for funding to be appropriated this way.
We need Councillors that aren't reliant on such funding.
Only then can they be truly impartial and representative of the electorate that they act for.

I have been banging that particular drum for a long time, not as long as The Post Boys...... But a hypothetical question for readers of THP.

What happens if "Either or Both" of The SCABS get the allotment managerial positions ?

It would certainly raise questions about the possible Tit for Tat nature of the Appointments Panel.

Foggy

I had a little look at the register of interests a few weeks ago (sad I know) and found it interesting that only a handful of Councillors have 'proper' jobs that are totally unconnected to the council or CICs.  A lot of Councillors haven't declared any kind of gainful employment, although I acknowledge that some are retired.  I was actually surprised that one particular Conservative Councillor didn't declare any form of paid employment.

fred c

The register of Interests is, like a lot of things within HBC less Open, Transparent  & Accountable  than it should be...... Another point that was raised by the Peer Review Group & promptly ignored by the council.

Balotelli

As someone who has worked in fraud investigation in the past, the register of interests should be a key document in the governance and control surrounding the council.

It should be a live document and not be a 'fixed point in time' and changes, particularly unexplained or sometimes illogical or sudden changes should be more transparent to ensure there is nothing untoward happening.

The HBC register is particularly poor.

WiseOwl

Jeff

Thanks WiseOwl....... but I would never vote Ukip.

Balotelli

Thing is, at the minute it's lacking in any meaningful detail at all levels.

Even David Riddle's entry gives rise to doubt if you were a suspicious minded person:

http://www.hartlepool.gov.uk/downloads/file/12449/cllr_david_riddle_2014-15_register_of_interest

A former Head of 6th Form moving jobs to a supply teaching role? Why?

Then you have the likes of Ray Wells:

http://www.hartlepool.gov.uk/downloads/file/12446/cllr_ray_martin_wells_2014-15-register_of_interest

So vague as to be meaningless.

Cranney:

http://www.hartlepool.gov.uk/downloads/file/11344/councillor_kevin_cranney_2014-15_register_of_interest

Blank apart from his property.....REALLY??

DRiddle

It's taken him a while to get there, but this above was the whole reason why James posted this topic in the first place. My stalking trolls have been wanting to know more about this for months.

Jeff

Declarations of interest are requested to be completed when a councillor takes up his position.  Maybe, they could be updated yearly, that would be more practical and take in all changes rather than just employment.  All councillors would have to review their status and hopefully avoid any ambiguity.
Saying all that....Akers-Belcher couldn't tell the truth on the TV and in the press so I don't think D.O.I. will concern some councillors.

Jeff

Quote from: DRiddle on April 28, 2015, 09: PM
It's taken him a while to get there, but this above was the whole reason why James posted this topic in the first place. My stalking trolls have been wanting to know more about this for months.
I really do think James that, you should focus on the real problems in the Town and not try and do Harry's dirty work. It didn't work last year and it won't this.