Hartlepool Mail Circulation Drops Another 16% in Just Twelve Months

Started by steveL, July 23, 2014, 05: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

steveL

Quote from: PostItNote on August 06, 2014, 08: PM
I can imagine the Northern Echo will be ready to rule the world if no one takes up on this opportunity to deliver real news.

I don't mind the Echo - usually a decent read.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

for fawkes sake

It's a pity we didn't have a graph of the falling circulation figures over the last few years. To me it looks like the fight to keep the circulation up was given up years ago and now it's a case of finding income from somewhere- anywhere.

Isn't that the cynical thinking behind the 'bonnie babies' racket which pressurises mothers to buy the full colour photograph of their little angel? I see that the idea has now been extended to include older children hence widening the market. We've gone from Bonnie Babies to Tiny Tots.

It's only a matter of time before the Mail photographer (do they still have one?) is standing outside the magistrates court offering high resolution reproductions to offenders for a price.
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

Ted Bass

Quote from: for fawkes sake on August 28, 2014, 07: PM
It's only a matter of time before the Mail photographer (do they still have one?) is standing outside the magistrates court offering high resolution reproductions to offenders for a price.

They do have two photographers, one of which has been promoted to head up the photography for the regions papers.

They are relying more on readers contributions. Notice how they don't pay a freelance contribution for use of photographs, but state 'supplied by Mail reader Fred Smith'.  More cost cutting.
The loneliness of the long distance lorry driver

Tommy

This is the official document of the decline of the Hartlepool Mail

http://abc.org.uk/Certificates/19227890.pdf

Doing some simple calculations as a pretty fair guesstimate and taking away from the current average circulation 8,820 those papers that are sold outside the Borough of Hartlepool, I think its fair to suggest a Hartlepool readership of less than 5,000.   

Its of my thinking really that the only reason its not going in total (rumors say a twice weekly circulation from October) and shutting shop is the cash it sucks from Hartlepool Council, the public purse is the need to publish public notices.

I know of another local media that should really be rubbing its hands and welcoming these figures if they have their buttons about them and should be planning for the Mail throwing in the daily towel.

All in all when it goes to a twice weekly (based upon rumors and common sense) it will be a downward spiral and I mean this when I say "such a shame this is happening to our towns long standing traditional media".

Ted Bass

Quote from: Tommy on August 28, 2014, 08: PM
Its of my thinking really that the only reason its not going in total (rumors say a twice weekly circulation from October) and shutting shop is the cash it sucks from Hartlepool Council, the public purse is the need to publish public notices.

I know of another local media that should really be rubbing its hands and welcoming these figures if they have their buttons about them and should be planning for the Mail throwing in the daily towel.

All in all when it goes to a twice weekly (based upon rumors and common sense) it will be a downward spiral and I mean this when I say "such a shame this is happening to our towns long standing traditional media".

I see where you are going with this and it would not surprise me to hear that the council will announce 'Heartbeat' as a weekly publication and put their advertising fully into this and editorialise it fully with Labour propoganda. I can see it now 'Chris column' and 'Ste says' but hope they draw the line at having Mad Marg as the page 3.

mk1

mk1

Quote from: Ted Bass on August 28, 2014, 08: PM
I can see it now 'Chris column' and 'Ste says' but hope they draw the line at having Mad Marg as the page 3.

Mad Dog will be the Sports Reporter-covering all the  Table Tennis!

Ted Bass

I'm sure Allan Barclay (who was parachuted into Owton Manor faster than Action Man) could be the wine reviewer.

craig finton

Inspector Knacker

A local paper is vital. Do remember a sizeable part of the electorate  do not use the internet and traditionally rely on their  local' paper for news. Any local politician with half a brain will realise this and act accordingly.... and be on good terms with their 'local' paper to get their message over.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

one direction

Quote from: Riddler5 on August 29, 2014, 07: AM
A local paper is vital.

Obviously not to the people of Hartlepool or they would still be buying it every day. Local papers are going the same way as the dinosaurs, they have had their day and its time for them to be replaced by something else. Personally I like the "i" for 30p its a good read. What would encourage me to read more on line newspapers is if I could buy them an edition at a time as I wanted to rather than having to take out a sizeable annual subcsription in advance. 

stokoe

Inspector Knacker

For a sizeable percentage of the electorate their only contact with local politics is the Mail.......and if in true 1984 fashion we get repetetive pics of Punch and Judy.... that section of the electorate will associate with Punch and Judy.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.