No council tribute for D-Day

Started by minime, June 06, 2014, 07: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minime

I've just been to take some flowers to the cenotaph and was disgusted not to see any kind of tribute from the council.

It is not a lot to ask for the council to mark today in some way.  But then again, this is Hartlepool Council we are talking about. They clearly have other priorities.

Shame on them, and in particular, the Mayor. I'm sure he would have been keen to do something if there was a photo opportunity for him in his robes.  ::)

DRiddle

MANY people have echoed the concerns flagged up by minime on social media. The PHF facebook is littered with comments by people unhappy about this issue.

Being only 15 days into the role of councillor it's difficult to know who, if anyone, would have been responsible for deciding when and how the event was commemorated. I'll try and find out.

Whatever the situation, I suspect there will be more negative headlines attached to certain councillors over the weekend.

ashamedtobebritish

It doesnt come as a shock that Hartlepool Council have not done anything to remember D-Day, Considering Hartlepool Council spit in the face of Democracy on a daily basis.

Something our brave soldiers fought and died for to protect, they seem to want to erode from society alltogether.

DRiddle

Just for information, our ceremonial mayor has stated publicly via facebook that it's not the counxil who sort out things such as this. I beg to differ. If it ISNT, it SHOULD be. It's a disgrace that not so much as a simple wreath was placed at the War memorial on the 70th anniversary of D-Day.

I'm genuinely stunned.

pensionater

Totally agree that the Council should have shown some recognition of pride by the town for the fallen,however this does not stop individuals like minime showing there own respect.I'm ashamed to say i didn't,did you?.

Foggy

I've read SAB's comments on Facebook about this issue.  He states that the council is not responsible for it but he doesn't know who is.  This tells me two things. Firstly he doesn't have a clue and secondly that this has obviously not even been discussed in the lead up to June 6th.

It is really possible that it has not even entered the head of one person in the civic centre that something should be done? Or could they simply not be bothered? Either option is disgraceful.

SAB also states on Facebook several times that he would be happy to discuss this face to face with anyone who wants to.  How happy would he be if people turned up en masse to discuss it? I for one would love to see the look on his face.

Tommy

I think all elected members in town have let the residents that ticked the box for them on the various voting days in town for not remembering those that gave so much during WWII especially  D Day.

This website is obviously ran by PHF supporters and indeed overseen and well used and suggestive editing by elected members, therefore may I ask that we have a reply on this link from Cllr Lilley, Cllr Dawkins, Cllr Gibbon, Cllr Atkinson and yes Cllr Brash too.

One we have that from those who use this site then ask questions of other ellected members, including holding the Council Officers especially HBC Events and Culture Team to task.

The Council Officers will blame it on elected members and worm out of it after attending events to mark the D Day in the towns were they live.

I have close links to veterans.

In typical 1940's strong English to all Elected Members and Council Officers in the Borough of Hartlepool, as a tax payer, after gallons upon gallons of blood was spilt by those 70 years ago in Normandy I say this to YOU "you all are a bloody disgrace!"

DRiddle

In terms of me personally, I work in a different town by day and I can assure you there were significant activities in relation to remembrance of the D-Day 70th anniversary, both in the institution I work in and the wider area.

I assumed (wrongly obviously) that this would be the case at a memorial about 30 metres from the civic centre.

TSteels

Not surprised you assumed that David, I mean they did mark and celebrate 'Commonwealth Day' earlier this year!! Maybe this wasn't as good an opportunity to dress up!

Tommy

Out of respect Mr TSteels may I suggest that you do not use this stream for your own political gain! I am disappointed that you as an elected member mock all those that gave so much 70 years ago.

Grow some and reply as I asked in your capacity as a Cllr, David has given an acceptable and honest reply in his role as a newly elected member.

Please do not take the mickey out of me, those that didn't return, those veterans and their family's, may i suggest you delete your post and try again?

craig finton

I think there is something of a pattern here. Does anyone know of any plans to mark Armed Forces Day on 28th June? If past years are anything to go by the best we can hope for to mark the occasion will be a small gathering confined to the car park of the Historic Quay.

In contrast, HBC councillors and the MP make a big effort to attend and publicise the memorial event to those killed at work which is organised by the trade unions - a laudable event in its own right but it does make you wonder why there is such indifference to our armed services and veterans.

The front page story highlights that the recent decision to award an alcohol license to the Café in Stranton Cemetery paid no heed to the war graves of soldiers which lie just feet away from the Café entrance. I think all councillors need to re-evaluate the degree of respect shown to those who gave their lives for their country whether its through commemorations or the location of drinking/entertainment establishments.

pensionater

Totally agree with everything you say Tommy.The Councillors who post on this site seem to be good at closing the door after the horse has bolted.I would have thought in their position they would have some sort of calender to say if and what  ceremonies are on during the year. Driddle it lasted all day not just during school hours.

Tommy

Craig thank you for you post so far you and Cllr Riddle have made a constructive reply.

I await a reply from the Cllrs and TSteels to rethink his.

mk1

Quote from: Tommy on June 07, 2014, 10: AM
mock all those that gave so much 70 years ago...................

Please do not take the mickey out of me, those that didn't return, those veterans and their family's, may i suggest you delete your post and try again?

I saw no mocking or mickey taking in the complained about post.

Tommy

pensionator I am waiting to see the Cllrs post on other pages on here with their false names opting not to reply to this stream first.

Those Cllrs that do that without leaving comment on here first are indeed despicable and I will do everything in my power amongst veterans from all theatre's of operations here in Hartlepool when they are asking for votes in the future, believe me.

Posters on here and PHF as a party could indeed attract positive attention from thousands in town if the Elected Members amongst them grew some and made a reply in their real names to this subject.

So far two have, all be it one choosing to mock the issue.