HTH first for breaking news

Started by notinshadow, May 10, 2012, 06: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mk1

They are going to name a close after  the builder. It will be called Bell End.
They fooled SCAB 1 into thinking it would be named after him  and  looking at the name I think they have!

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Big profit as anticipated ?
I don't believe it.

The Great Dictator

Inspector Knacker

If they are going to build houses on the site, can we hope for a change of policy and build houses that would look like they should be in a marina setting? I've visited lots of these sites around the country and Hartlepool is bottom of the list for looks. We have the blocks of flats that look like some Polish workers housing complex circa 1947 and the disappointing Bishop Cuthbert on Sea complex near the level crossing.
I don't hold out much hope, but you never know, they might shock us.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

dangerman

Maybe the same builder/developer can do something about the former Tile shop in Murray street that has been left derelict for years.

It's certainly not on the grot spot list of the Mayors ward councillors are unwilling to take any action because the owner owns the rest of Murray street & the chippie over the road.

A law for some and a law for some others.

fred c

Quote from: dangerman on May 11, 2012, 08: AM
Maybe the same builder/developer can do something about the former Tile shop in Murray street that has been left derelict for years.

It's certainly not on the grot spot list of the Mayors ward councillors are unwilling to take any action because the owner owns the rest of Murray street & the chippie over the road.

A law for some and a law for some others.

It hasn`t mattered for nearly 10 years whether a building has been on the "Grot Spot List" or not...... nothing has been done with any of them, apart from Morrison Hall, HBC spent £60,000 supposedly... plus the costs involved, plus repairs to the building after purchase.

What have they done with it ? Diddly Squat.... it is now a council owned grot spot as opposed to a privately owned grot spot.

But as mentioned by Riddler.... if it is the Tin Shed site & they are going to build houses on it, why not continue the Historic Quay look in any new development, it would be an opportunity to take away the bleak one dimensional aspect of the Marina.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Rumour has it ...(second hand so can't vouch for it) is that the council are going to continue their sprawl and move a couple of departments there.
I don't believe it.

notinshadow

I don't subscibe to that view in honesty  :)

fred c

The building would need to be

a) Demolished & a new one built

Or

b) Have a fortune spent on it to make it usable as offices

But there have been several hints about a "New Civic" over the last 12 months or so, crazy in my opinion to build new...Mega Millions of pounds the town doesn`t have.

The Great Dictator

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: testicles on May 11, 2012, 06: PM
They would do a PFI.

They might try it, but doubt that they would succeed.

codheadless

The Mail office is available why not use that as the new civic centre, i cant see any other business in town taking over such a large building.
Jacksons landing would be a good ice rink or water centre like wet n wild, dont turn it into "executive apartments" or flats to you n me, as they cant even fill the others in this area.

dangerman

They could have utilised the original council buildings that they sold for 1/2 million pounds to the C.F.E all right in the centre of Hartlepool at Church Square it would have cost them Nothing.

Unlike the Civic Centre these were built with red engineering bricks to last hundreds of years not 40 year life span.

Middlesbrough retained their town hall also Stockton. Richmond etc. 

Why is it we only plan for limited lifespan buildings?

Someone made a killing from this, to sell these magnificent buildings and to buy a derelict tin shed on the failing Marina just does not make sense.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Stockton Borough Council has maintained it's magnificent town hall, which dates from 1735 in it's current form - it did, however, create an administrative centre in Church Road. 

The SBC website includes a chilling reminder of when autonomy was lost.

'Today, the Town Hall is still used daily for meetings, and the full Council gathers in the main Council Chamber once every six weeks to seal the important decisions relating to the authority's business.  Apart from a brief period between 1969 and 1974, when Middlesbrough was the administrative centre for the now-defunct Teesside County Borough Council, Stockton Town Hall has been at the heart of all the most important decisions taken by Stockton Council since the day it was opened.'

Inspector Knacker

I love the old forty year cobblers, it's a covenient cover all for anyone asking awkward questions about a buildings viability and ususally means no one's bothered to maintain the building in the first place, the exception being the the Civic Centre reception, a place so pampered in maintenance terms,  that the Time Team have booked it for a programme in  the year 3298!
The forty year old college actually took some knocking down, the later additions were powder puff in comparison and gave in meekly to the demolition men..... can we expect the new place to blow away ina strong wind a couple of years down the line.
I've noticed that despite all the property it now has in the town, the college of Art phone number remains 01642 ... still the subsidiary ....?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.