Teesside or Tees Valley?

Started by craig finton, August 27, 2015, 02: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craig finton

Although this story has been covered by the Northern Echo, the Evening gazette and The Post I'd be very surprised to see it in the Hartlepool Mail. Such a story is bound to wind people in the town up and so won't suit Mr Akers-Belcher - for that reason alone I doubt we'll be reading about it in the local paper.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/meet-men-who-aiming-banish-9935436

fred c

The majority of people would prefer not be be linked with Tees Valley Unlimited, those in Teesside may prefer that name, but the likes of Hartlepool & Darlo want nothing to do with another "Hybrid Authority"

Hartlepool is in the unfortunate position of having an couple of egomaniacs running the show & their desire to be linked in with TVU has more to do with their own personal benefit than it is for the benefit of Hartlepool.

Only In Hartlepool & Only Under The LabTor Mob

Inspector Knacker

Having just read the report on the front page of the post on this topic, it's pretty obvious that this group wanting the name Teesside adopting are giving a  parochial  masterclass in parish pump politics.
Arrogantly they assume they are the only ones who matter, oblivious to the fact that there are others involved to whom Teesside means absolutely nothing, but because they relate to it it's ok.
The reference to places like Manchester, Liverpool etc highlights the glaring flaw in their logic, the other places are distinct cities, whereas the five authorites in Tees Valley have no dominant urban centre population wise, save for Middlesbroughs insatiable ego to be top
dog.
The Teesside thing is an indication of how out of touch these people are in expecting others to conform to their version of things instead of consulting with others... it bodes ill for the future.

What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

for fawkes sake

Teesside Elected Mayor  Expected By April 2017 An elected mayor for Teesside is now  expected by April 2017. Speaking on  behalf of the five Tees leaders, which  includes Hartlepool's Christopher Akers- Belcher,  Councillor Sue Jeffrey, leader  of Redcar and Cleveland Council, said:  "We are confident in our plan - it's whether or not the  Government will deliver on the deal. I think the proposals we are putting forward are very  practical, they deliver for the Tees Valley and for  Government, and I think on that basis we should  certainly have a deal here."

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/elections-teesside-mayor-could-take-9978589

Personally, I find it fascinating just how little coverage The Hartlepool Mail is giving this subject which is easily the biggest change that will affect Hartlepool in the next few years. I'm reminded of a comment Mr Wells is said to have made when a referendum on joining a combined authority was being discussed. Wells is alleged to have said that the reason CAB wouldn't allow a referendum was that 'it wouldn't produce the right answer.'

From the Gazette article, it's clear that the subject is being discussed at a pace south of the river and Christopher is at the heart of it but in Hartlepool a thick fog has been laid around the issue with the complete compliance and assistance of The Mail.
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

Inspector Knacker

I suspect our local 'representatives' are in for a bit of a disappointment when they find themselves sidelined as leaders of a glorified parish council with all power south of the river. The penny will eventually drop that they're powerless bit players, an irrelevance, but it'll be too late then.
Mind you, when the brown stuff eventually hits the fan  after this municipal shotgun wedding, being known as the person who signed up for it should guarantee their 'fame'.... or infamy?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.