Evening Gazette now the Teesside Gazette

Started by Tommy, June 30, 2014, 02: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy

Today I noticed a name change for the Evening Gazette to the Teesside Gazette, I wonder if this may be to encompass Hartlepool when (in my opinion its inevitable) the Sheffield Echo (Hartlepool Mail) goes to a weekly?

marky

Quote from: Tommy on June 30, 2014, 02: PM
Today I noticed a name change for the Evening Gazette to the Teesside Gazette, I wonder if this may be to encompass Hartlepool when (in my opinion its inevitable) the Sheffield Echo (Hartlepool Mail) goes to a weekly?

I don't know if anyone caught The Sunday Politics Show yesterday but Labour's Mayoral Candidate was heard speaking in favour of a Mayor of Tees Valley in line with George Osborne's recent move to establish Boris-style Mayor's Up-North.

We're fighting a constant drift championed by the likes of Middlesbrough, the local LEP and Tees Valley Unlimited towards Teesside City. I would see the name change of the Gazette as part of this process and as an acknowledgement that the Hartlepool Mail is dying a slow death. More and more I see the Gazette on sale at local outlets as an alternative to The Mail - something that you would never have seen a few years ago.

one direction

Quote from: marky on June 30, 2014, 02: PM
Quote from: Tommy on June 30, 2014, 02: PMI would see the name change of the Gazette as part of this process and as an acknowledgement that the Hartlepool Mail is dying a slow death.

Actually I think all printed on paper Newspapers are dying a slow death. I haven't bought a printed newspaper for years and as more and more on-line versions become available then I can't see me ever buying a hard copy again.  I was given a Kindle HD Fire for Christmas and it included a 12 month subscription to the Daily Mail. I subsequently found out the Kindle was Free with the Daily Mail subscription! The Daily Mail is a bit of a comic but sometimes has interesting things in it but my point is that now I've experienced paid for on-line content I almost certainly will take out a new subscription (probably not to the Daily Mail) when this one expires! I can't see me ever buying a printed newspaper ever again!

Tommy

Marky & One Direction, it would be sad to see it go if it wasn't so bias in its following of those that are in political power in Hartlepool. I do think my suspicions would be confirmed if I was told that Reporters, Sales Staff & Photographers were jumping ship.

It seems a sensible move to include Hartlepool within its news reports more & more, as we are part of Teesside, however it wont be long before HBC starts pumping a shed load of cash there way in advertising within its pages then again even they (Teesside Gazette) may sway to supporting the political hand that feeds them & being bias due to the advertising revenue gifted from HBC for daily advertising.

As I look at the Sheffield Echo at a guess there is four streams of income keeping them alive, possibly in financial contributory order:

1. Advertising & Sponsorship income from Hartlepool Borough Council.
2. Advertising & Sponsorship income from regional & national linked Johnston Press Advertisers.
3. Advertising & Sponsorship income from local and Peterlee Businesses.
4. Income from the sales of it at 60p.

With the above in mind, and if I am correct its not hard to see why the Sheffield Echo is bias and does not wish to bite the hand that financially feeds it. At the same time I am sure that the Teesside Gazette will adopt the same life saving policy over time.

fred c

The Editorial Policy of the Hartlepool Mail is as much to blame for the situation the town faces as the flaccid "Member The Dear Leader, Handsome Ste & The Mob"

It`s unequivocal support of all things LabTor & HBC is nothing short of disgraceful, i was of the opinion that a newspaper had a responsibility toward a fair & balanced view of political ideals, how wrong could i be ?

The Hartlepool Mail sold its soul to HBC & The Mob a number of years ago & it`s inevitable demise is due in a large part to that decision.